Need help with setting up 5.1 channel speakers

Username: Realitygfx

UK

Post Number: 1
well firstly, my knowledge of setting up audio systems, is low, very low

i recently purchased with my birthday money some Philips 5.1 channel speakers, the trouble im having is actually connecting it to tv, laptop, etc. I have 3x 3.5mm jack cables which just tell me to connect them. I have absolutely no clue on how to connect this. All i know is that each 1 of them connects in the earphone bit lol. But with 3 wires n 1 port and no knowledge, i am completely stuck. This most probably is completely stupid but ive been looking and searching net for hours on end on my birthday looking on how to connect it but can find nothing.So i have come here to ask for some experienced help.

In case i havnt explained clearly enough,
Ive connected everything it says to the subwoofer, and im left with 5 speakers with a connection of 3x 3.5mm jack cables to which i only know fit into the earphone socket. With three of these wires and 1 port, i cant get my head around.

Please reply as i have spent my whole birthday rackin my brains over this lol

Many Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2283
You need a receiver.

UK

Post Number: 2
can you give me anymore details for this?

Thanks for your reply

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 2288
You need a receiver to be able to use these speakers. A receiver that is capable of using 5.1 speakers...a surround receiver, e.g., Kenwood KRF-9070d.

UK

Post Number: 3
Thanks for reply,

i ended up takin that back and bought a bush dvd player and 5.1 speakers together.

Ive connected everythin that it says, ive done a speaker test on my dvd setup menu and everyone works, but when i actually want to listen to a CD or watch a DVD, only the left and right speakers work?, could you be of any help?

Unregistered guest
You have to adjust the program/stereo settings of your reciever, this should be in your manual, it is hard to tell without having your manual...honestly i just found this website cause i googled my name...Sean Scannell and found this lol. Anyways i'm a sound tech for the UW-Athletics and an EE...you just need to read your manual. feel free to e-mail me with any question...if you can't find the information in your manual i could probably look it up online...but it is better to figure these things out for yourself...you learn more :-).
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us