Onkyo = Headache ??

Disillusioned
Unregistered guest
Hi all, I've just discovered this forum, and have been reading all the threads regarding the Onkyo HTIB's.
There seems to be a lot of problems here that appear difficult to resolve. I purchased a 760 back in August, without even listening to it, just going by all the rave reviews I read about the system on assorted discussion forums. When I setup the system, I thought it was a good bang for the buck, but honestly was a little disappointed with the lack of presence on the high end, and the lack of a clean sounding bass, not bad, but just a little muddy for my taste, but figured for $499 (didn't shop around) it would do the job.
Recently, this thing is starting to become a real pain, I am experiencing all the problems I have seen posted here. When I turn it on, all the displays light, and everything becomes active, but no sound, so I have to turn it on and off again, to get the thing to pump out some sound. Occasionally when I turn it on, I will get the high pitched whistle, that a few folks mentioned, on and off again, to get back to normal. After a few hours of sound, it will just stop producing, even though all displays are still active. On and off again. It is becoming a real pain in the a**. This all started about two weeks ago.
Since all my equipment is silver, I considered moving up to a silver 770, but my recent experiences, and some of the other things I've read here, are making me a little shaky, on buying another one of these units.
Has anyone who experienced these problems, had them resolved?? I have a friend, who was going to buy this one from me, but at this point, I couldn't sell this to him, I will send it out to a repair shop, (warranty) and see what can be done, to get this unit straightened out. I think meanwhile, I will look in other directions, perhaps separates. If this is the nature of the beast, then to me anyway, it isn't worth $199, if I have to keep getting aggravated, everytime I turn it on.
Comments??

Anonymous

I Posted in another area...
I Recently bought the Onkyo HT-S777C (770 with the DVD player). Great system, fantastic sound... so I thought! After three nights of movie watching euphoria, I flipped the reciever ON as I had previously. As I searched for the TV remote (dont have the monstrous Onko remote programmed yet) I heard a slight pop in the two front mains. Next I noticed a "stream" of white smoke rising out of the front of the mains as I scrambled to kill the power. Upon removing the front covers I discovered both tweeters had "melted". I restored power to the receiver and selected the tuner input and the darn thing worked just as before, albeit no highs from the mains. Almost as if the receiver had come up in a "DC" mode the first time on.
Since that time each time I would remove the power from the stack (power strip) and then restart the system, the mains would squeal when first powered up. Go to standby and back on, OK?

Sometimes pressing the "A" speakers button twice would resolve the squeal as well. I have since unplugged the DVD from the receiver's powered 120v recep on the back and it hasn't squealed since. hmmm?

Called Onkyo support (Man, thats a waste of time, literally! Hold 2x for 30+ min) No troubleshooting, no ideas, no Help!
A Call to HHGreg is getting the system replaced.

I am having second thoughts on whether to keep the second system or return it before finding out that Onkyo products have nice shelf appeal but fail in home performance.

Anyone?

Anonymous

I just bought one of these puppies, hooked it up a week ago, and no problems, until last night.
When I power it on, volume is triple of what it was when I shut it off, and none of the surround modes are activated although the PIIx shows on the display. After I cycle through the surround modes, it quiets down, and behaves normally.
I bought it from Vanns.com, so it would cost me approximately $140 to ship it back for an exchange. I will keep an eye, (ear) on it and see if it progresses into anything more, if it does, I will send it out for service. Shame, it's a nice unit, it's only too bad that Onkyo quality control isn't a little better, given their reputation. After reading some other websites regarding similar problems, I sincerely doubt I would buy another Onkyo product, especially from a vendor who is on the opposite coast. He was one of the few who had a silver one, plus free stands, no tax or shipping, and most importantly, an authorized dealer, otherwise the warranty is meaningless..

Anonymous

i have seen this problem too where the vol is high when i switch it back on and after i cycle through the DSP modes, it is back to normal. it happens only for analog input (VCR).

Anonymous

Just wanted to add : the volume seems to be drifting. initially volume 20 is just right. after some time, it becomes a little loud and i have to reduce the vol to 18 and then to 16 and after some time 14 is as loud as 20 was when i started.

Bronze Member
Username: Drew_and_not_u

Wilmington, NC United States

Post Number: 39
I've had a 770 for almost 5 months of constant use and the only issue I've ever experienced was the lack of sound when you first turn it on, but as people have said this is easily remedied by switching inputs and switching back or turning it off and back on. I don't really consider this a problem though, because it doesn't hinder operation and it is so easily fixed. Perhaps I just got lucky but this system has been rock solid.

kclusa
Unregistered guest
Greeting :
The high pitch sound is caused by unstable amplifier. Any cold soldering or unmatched transistor been used in the circuit may cause this high frequency oscillation. And that high pitch may damage your tweeter. Due to the fact that human ear has limited high frequency detection (> 20 KHz), when you detect high pitch, it typically impose high volumn to tweeter where human may think it is not that loud. So when you hear it, you need to disconnect the speaker immediately. This problem can be fixed by reducing the gain of the transistor (add small capacitor between base and emitter of the transistor). Onkyo service should be able to do it.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 63
I've never experienced a problem from any Onkyo component I've ever owned. And I've owned various components for over 15 years. They all still work flawlessly. Sorry about your difficulties.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us