DD5.1 Help

Username: Phonix

Post Number: 4
Hi guys and gals, I got this cheap 200 watt home theater for xmas, I hooked it all up, and I connected the reciever to my DVD player. I am expecting Dolby Digital 5.1 sound, but my reciever won't detect the digital input, and switched right to analog, not using my rear speakers. I can use Pro Logic, but instead I get a downmixed 2 channel output. So here's what I did:

I connected the L/R RCA's from the L/R outputs on my DVD player to the AV1 L/R inputs on my reciever. Then I used a regular RCA cable in place of a digital coaxial cable from the DVD's digital audio out to the recievers digital audio in (I heard you could use regular RCA cable). But still no Dolby Digital 5.1. Is there maybe a setting on my DVD player to force it to use its digital outputs? I don't know but I'm getting frustrated, lol, I might have to take it back and exchange it for an uhh.... unpirated version of Half-Life 2 hehehe.
When I hit setup on the DVD player the "Digital Setup" option is greyed. So I go into my audio mode and switch from PCM to Analog, and then the "Digital Setup" option is available. But still once i choose it, my reciever won't detect the DD. Could it be because I'm using an RCA cable in place of a Digital Coax?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated guys!

djvilla
Unregistered guest
You have to use a digital Coax cable to get DD 5.1. There is no other way unless you use a digital optical cable but you never mentioned it so I am guessing your receiver and DVD player do not have an optical input and optical output. COax cables are not expensive so give it a shot...

Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 1
JGM
If your receiver is truly DD 5.1 you can use the "Yellow" cable of your AV cable group for the digital Coax. (This is a Coax designed for higher bandwidth Video anyhow)

PCM (Pulse Coded Modulation) is a digital Stereo/Prologic signal superior to its analog counterpart, yet short of FM (Frequency Modulated) Dolby Digital. I would suspect that the clue would lie in your owners manuals under "Dolby Digital 5.1". If you don't find that mentioned anywhere, you could safely assume your working with Prologic system, not all bad.

Good Luck.

Username: Phonix

Post Number: 6
In audio setup i changed it from SPDIF/PCM to Analog, and then the Digital Setup option is available.
Then it looks like this:

DUAL MONO > Stereo
MONO L
MONO R
MIX MONO

MAIN PAGE

Maybe you could help better if you went here:

http://www.18002526123.com/findit/findit.htm

Brand: Venturer
Category: Home Theater
Model: AV1000

Here's the link to the manual:

http://www.18002526123.com/findit/AV1000_E.pdf

I can't find the manual for my DVD Player. But I'm sure it has DD5.1, it says it on the front, plus it's a very versatile DVD player......

Username: Philman

Richmond, IN USA

Post Number: 2
It appears that you need to change the Audio setting back. S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interface) is the output needed for the DD 5.1 output. There are no Digital settings needed hence, the greyed options.

From what I read, you need the DVD connected to AV2 of your receiver. Connect the DVD Video Output to AV2 Video(#31) using the "yellow" coax of your AV cable. You must use a second "Yellow" coax cable to connect your Digital audio Coax out to AV2 Digital Audio (#30)

Next, On page 8 of 12 in the PDF format of your manual you will see that you need to set your receiver up for AV2 "Auto" mode by pressing the AV2 button on the front panel (#15) one time. This apparently allows the receiver to auto select the mode from the incoming signal type.

If this fails to produce the desired results with a DD 5.1 disc playing (try http://www.mertner.com/allan/dvd/ for a list of movies in 5.1), press the "Test" button (#7) on the remote to test the wiring of each of the speakers.

Hope this helps.

Username: Jcd

Post Number: 1
I had a similar problem with a Venturer AV1000 and Malata DVP-393 DVD player. The Dolby Digital indicator would never come on, even though that appeared to be selected, and there was no sound at all from the rear speakers, except in Pro-Logic mode.
I was considering spending good money on one of those expensive digital coax cables, even though logic dictated that should not make any difference.
Instead, I finally set the Dolby settings in the DVD player to NO COMPRESSION. Lo and behold, the Dolby Digital light came on and sound poured out of the rear speakers. It seems that mode switches on only if there is the proper signal coming through the cable.
Check your DVD player menus to see if that is not the problem.
JC
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us