I updated cable modem with the wrong drivers

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 17024
and I went from 13 megs down 1.5 up to 3 megs down to i forget up....then i found the updated drivers for my operating system and hit 13.7 down and 1.5 up on a 12 down 2 up plan.....i did this because on the drivers my brother had it on for his xp machine worked for my vista home but i kept losing my ip every couple of days but this fix is for vista home so hopefully no more drop outs.....whew.... i had a hard time finding the drivers because its an old motorolla surfboard modem model 4100 with docsis 1.0 made ages ago

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17029
I tuned up the mtu Maximum Transmission Unit and i got a minimum of 15 megs down and 1.55 up now....not bad for a 12 meg plan...although the upload stinks.... from what i read thats docsis 1.0 for you

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8488
I just tested connection at 20.6meg down and 2.6meg up, and thats thru a wireless-N router.

16up/2down Comcast plan.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17045
you got those speeds running wireless....if so thats good....you got the right equipment there because even if your close to the wireless source wireless doesnt usually perform like wired speeds

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17046
im running an asus rt-n12 router with ddwrt firmware right now to get those numbers what router and wireless device are you using ....I havent tested wireless yet because i dont have any wireless pc's at the moment.....im building my own router soon though with a 2.4 processor pc and 2 gigabit ethernet cards and a switch....the router will be running linux software

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11833
I have CAT5 jacks in every room of the house

Also have wireless tho for when I really want it and for the iphone.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana Team Audible...

Post Number: 8489
Motorola SB5100 modem and a D-link DIR615 router. Just plug and play. This is over a wireless connection w/ me sitting on my couch....router is ~8ft in front of me under my TV...PS3 is connected to it w/ an ethernet cable.

may hook up an ethernet cable to my laptop and see what I can get.

Gold Member
Username: Gcs8

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2021
Upload

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17057
im upgrading to a docsis 3.0 modem ill post results when i get them....should be much better than my docsis 1.0

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17058
I just added a gigabit ethernet card and my speeds are slower....granted this is with cat 5 cable still the 10/100 internet router and the docsis 1 modem but why are my speeds dropping

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17059
upping the mtu brought my speeds up again but its still a tad slower

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17061
I know i didnt need to go this extreme but i wanted a 50 ft ethernet cable and i bought 4 of them for 53 dollars shipped....they are catagory 7 cables haha....comes out to a little over 13 bucks a piece

Gold Member
Username: Extrmndor3

Http://illuzonemu.serv..., ^^^Sick Game

Post Number: 8625
why are you doin all this???

are you hosting a server?? website?? do you even know how to make one?? or anything else??

just wondering..

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17062
ok as i said before i have the 12/2 plan with comcast with the sb 4100 docsis 1.0 modem i got 15/1.57 on that plan

with the arris wbm760a docsis 3.0 modem i got 20.68/4.10 on my first test second test 21.60/4.09....quite an improvement

honestly i just started wanting to build my own router and digging into linux.....from there i dont know where ill go and no i have no schooling on this stuff

Gold Member

Post Number: 8626
and your spending all this money just to build a router??

i like linux but im no expert.. i just use linux to crack and hack in to wifi access points. and back in the day when i had linux on my ps3

but i have no big linux knowledge

but dude thats kinda worthless IMO with the pc you bough off ebay should be a nas.. home made router are not near as good as a high end enterprise router.. i know it cost money but yeah...

but is your choice.. good luck man

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11873
Upload

Suck it beeyatches

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17063
what kind of plan and such do you have ms

Gold Member

Post Number: 8627
^^^ WTF that is a heatlhcare thing im pretty sure.. like a hospital or something

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24638
Never a dull moment...........

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2029
note the date on that.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8628
no the isp from that speed test...

thats from a healthcare thing.. like a healthcare based in nj i looked it up..

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2030
The time stamp on it is old as well (last year) could have gotten it from anywhere. This is the internet.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17064
haha ms

Gold Member

Post Number: 8629
yeah looks like bull sh1t

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1264829135.png

looks alil slow since im running a server,website,nas,remote access,xbox,ipad,3 iphones

Upload

but hey.. for 35 bucks what you expected

Gold Member

Post Number: 8630
dude just so you know.. docsis 1.0 is good for up to 15mbs i believe.. then docsis 2.0 is for up to 25mbps and the new docsis 3.0 u wont need it until u get more than 30mbps

im using docsis 2.0

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2031
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOCSIS#Speed_tables

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17065
dude you obviously didnt look at my speed increase from docsis 1.0 to 3.0
I gained 5 megs down and 2.5 up on the same 12/2 plan

from what i read docsis 3.0 gives 2 to 3 megs more down over docsis 2.0 so you would benefit moving up

Gold Member

Post Number: 8632
no i meant from comcast modems.. yeah that from wikipedia is a nice measuring table for docsis.. but is for raw...

u havent taking notice that on your regular neighbor hood the more internet your neighbor are using the lower the speed it gets and that my friends is a fact

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11875
I can take a newer one as soon as I get back to work on monday lol

I do Lvl 2 I.T. support for a healthcare company. We have an array of T3s thru Level 3 interent, a tier 3 provider which links us directly into the internet backbone.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17066
im on comcast and my speeds were tested at various times of the day and i never get below 20 megs down and 4 megs up on the 12/2 plan

by the way a docsis 1.0 modem is good for 35 - 38 meg plans i forget what docsis 2.0 is good for

Gold Member

Post Number: 8635
yeah u might do speed test.. but what size of test your using?? a 100kb file?? LMAO and ping time is affected alot

A disadvantage to using the cable modem that may manifest can be the trouble with bandwidth. The incredibly fast speeds displayed above occur under ideal conditions, figuring that the number of users is relatively small. With the increasing number of customers the amount of bandwidth decreases and makes the connections slower as the system tries to accommodate the needs of every user in the network. If this problem isn't addressed it could become very serious should the cable modem service become widespread.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 17068
well all that may be true but i know its tons faster than my 7 meg dsl plan i paid more for...verizon couldnt support more than that plan even with me having a dry loop.....sad

and fios has been talked about but still not offered for my area almost since i moved here id say they have been talking about it for my area for the last 10 years...give or take a few and the minimum plan is 25 megs i believe......am i right their speeds are not like cable they are steady?

Platinum Member

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11877
Upload

This one taken in the evening while our backups are running sucking up the upload bandwidth.

Gold Member

Atlanta, Ga

Post Number: 2032
yeah but thats still your work connection not your home. i could have my buddy go to his NOC and do a speed test there and it would be insane but would not mean anything.

Gold Member
Username: Snowball123

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3635
I'll do one at school if you really want to see some test M.S...

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3636
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]http://www.speedtest.net/result/1287607641.pn g[/IMG][/URL]

Not to good of an upload, but it's over wireless G and a 7 meg connection.

I'll take it for regular surfing.

Gold Member

West Allis, WI

Post Number: 3637
*http://www.speedtest.net/result/1287607641.png

Don't think that worked.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us