What do you guys think?

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 24503
So we'll call this a hypothetical experiment, even though it wasn't hypothetical to me.

Two days ago I was approached by a gentleman in a parking lot of a Wawa (Convenience store) and he begged me to use my cell phone. Mind you this entire scene lasted less than 2 minutes. His story was that he locked his phone inside his car by mistake and he had radiator troubles. The repair guys were supposedly on their way and he just needed to call his father to arrange his ride to class (college). This was supposed to be a final or something.

Ok, the red flag was raised by me immediately for many reasons. But, I offered to dial his father's # on my cell to help him out, no threat in that. I gave him my phone once I dialed and he had a brief convo and hung up.

The next sequence is critical and something everyone should pay attention to.

After hearing his convo with his "Dad" on my phone and he hung up he stated he didn't have enough $$ to pay for the repairs that were coming and his Dad wasn't in the area. He begged for $10 that he was short so he could get to class and make his grade. He even offered to trade his license until he could repay me.

Ok, let me stand back and offer a tid bit of info that I didn't offer yet that should smack a face of anyone reading.

2 minutes before this I was withdrawing $300 from the ATM inside the Wawa. (I was in route on buying my daughter her own Playstion).

So in that 1/4 of a second when you realize you have $300+ in your wallet and you're faced with a man in a parking lot asking for $10 to help fix his car, it makes you think what "could" happen when you take you're wallet out to help. After all he probably watched me inside taking $$ out the ATM and followed me outside.

As I zipped up my jacket and boldly apologized, with my two kids inside my truck 10' from me, I said to myself, this doesn't feel right.

Later when he left and I hit redial on my phone and I got some woman in PA, having no clue who he was, I knew I was right all along.

Everyone knows I'm all for helping ppl. Heck nobody I know gives more than me.

Words of wisdom: Know who you're helping, and those who are helping themselves.

My question to you is this: Would YOU have given the guy $10 in exchange for his License?

Platinum Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 16795
with all that money you had in your wallet no i wouldnt have given him the $10.....by the way if you had i think he would have mugged you for all of the money

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 153 DBs ...Trinidad & T...

Post Number: 16933
is this ur own experience or a email some1 sent u ? ....

Platinum Member
Username: Nyyfan13

Northern VA

Post Number: 12079
Honestly, I probably would have given him the $10 and called it a day. I would have been very careful about getting the money out of my wallet having $300 in it but I'd "help" the kid out.

I've been approached at a gas station before from someone asking for $5 of gas because they "lost" their wallet or didn't have the money. I didn't have cash but I used my card and pumped $10 of gas into his car and called it a day. He was grateful and thanked me a bunch. Did he get me? Possibly. Did I in fact help someone who truly needed it? Maybe.

In your case Paul, I would have been taken for the $10 and possibly the $300 plus the rest of my wallet and learned a very tough lesson.

Gold Member
Username: 420pimp2

Atlantic City , , NJ

Post Number: 1079
Most likely he wouldn't attempt to evan ask me,but if he had the balls 2 I would most likely tell him to fu.ck off. Or just be like nahh bro your beet, dont have a phone.

As for the 10, haha you guys can figure that out

Get this bs on a day to day basis ,gdamn leaches

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24505
It actually happened to me Rovin. He was a middle aged man too. Dressed casual and clean shaven. It just seemed odd to me that someone, anyone, would approach me that fast in the parking lot after I just used the ATM. He seemed to beeline straight to me. All kinds of instinctive flags went up with me.

Reminds me years ago being approached by the infamous "white van" guys trying desperately to sell speakers. I admit one day I actually pulled over and had a look. I was 20? Told them I didn't have the amount they asked on me and they offered to follow me to a cash machine. THAT'S when you walk away.

As far as the $10? I'm a generous lad and might have helped him out but it just all seemed too suspicious and wasn't worth the gamble considering the circumstances.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 11779
LOL I've heard of these white van speaker guys but never seen one for myself...

As far as your situation, my rule is I don't give money to anyone but charities and then only at holiday time. Money is just too tight these days.

However, here's a true story of mine. I was in Subway on break from work getting a sandwich. Place my order, get to the register, feel for my wallet.... shite, wallet's on my desk at work. I remember I have an emergency credit card in the glovebox in my truck, in case I ever needed to pay for a tow or something. I run out and get it, run back in, give it to the kid at subway, he swipes it. Then swipes it agian. and again. "Um, sir, this card is expired.."...
me, not at anyone, just ranting in general: "gimme a fluckin break, I guess I'm not eating today..."
At which point, the man behind me in line steps up and says "his sandwich is on me"... I thanked him sincerely several times and left.

Did he pay for my food to help a random person out? Or maybe just to get the line moving so he could get going? I don't know, but I was sure thankful he did. I know I wouldn't have if I were him.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4860
Gotta trust your instincts. In your case I think I would've sent him packing as well, Paul. The way he targeted you. The way he was set up at a classic scam spot (convenience store/gas station). He locked his phone AND keys in his car? Think about that, highly unlikely that you'd forget TWO things at once from your mental checklist of most important things. And how'd he call repair guys if his phone was locked in his car?

If the person really is in need of help for good reason, letting them use your phone should solve it 99% of the time. Every decent person has dozens of family members and friends they can call that will help them. It could be a rare exception if they just moved or something... but highly unlikely. If giving them cash on the spot seems to be the only help they want, and their story seems fishy, it's 99.9% chance of scam IMO.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24509

quote:

Did he pay for my food to help a random person out? Or maybe just to get the line moving so he could get going? I don't know, but I was sure thankful he did.

Nice. I've been there myself in a pickle. Nobody to help me out but.....lol.

Here's another true story that I hope influences at least some of you goons. Every once in a while I food shop in my local mom and pop grocery store because I'm just too lazy to drive the miles to save a buck. Those places are so notorious for price gouging the locals it isn't funny.

Well one day I'm in line behind a woman who has two kids and a full cart of just about everything you can think of. Mostly necessity items and maybe a few non essential ones too like juice bags for the kids and yogurt and stuff. I patiently wait my turn in line and she gets the total. She swipes her debit card and it gets declined. This was AFTER applying her food stamps to the bill. Obviously an extremely embarrassing moment for her.

After surmising the fact that she doesn't have the $$ to pay her tally she proceeds to remove items. This is such a horrible event many know nothing about, yet so many face every day. At first I was inpatient in waiting in line but it soon turned into guilt, as I was buying wings and steak for my BBQ. She was putting back laundry detergent and toilet paper, just to get it below what she could afford and get the line moving.

I know she felt defeated, I saw the look on her face. Yet another week where she couldn't makes ends meet.

Damn straight you all know what I did. I added her missing items to my order and gave them to her in the parking lot when she was putting her kids in her car. I told her she left something inside and gave her the bag.

I would do it again tomorrow............................and the day after that.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24510
I agree 100% Pitt. Many don't have the time to determine and process the events to see what's wrong with the situation when it happens so fast. That's what smart criminals do. They rely on your lack of thinking in that "pressure" point. When you're in euphoria in thought they "rob the cradle" and run with the prize.

The secret to magic is fooling the audience as to what they are actually seeing.

Gold Member
Username: Van_man

Boston South, MA

Post Number: 5447
wow, thats a tough one...i would said hold on let me get it from my truck...then left.... Glad you didnt get mugged Paul.

Last Easter at the market I was buying my ham and other trimmings, This like 22 year old guy was in line in front, counting change for a small canned ham spam thing a two cans of store brand veggies... I offered to pick it up for him, and asked if he needed anything else, he said bread and milk and butter. I gave him a 20 and wished him a happy easter... I know what its like only having beer money and no money for food...It sucks.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16820
very cool peeps in here for helping people out.....id do the same if i could afford it but most times i cant

Gold Member
Username: Rideredder

Cornell, IL USA

Post Number: 1992
I gave a bum a dollar in Milwaukee once.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16851
i gave someone more than a dollar once

Diamond Member

Post Number: 24524
Giving a "bum" a dollar only helps him continue his misery. Assuming he is in misery. Some "professional" bums make more than some lawyers.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 16854
yeah but i like to think most people like that are genuine bums
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us