Julian's new puppy

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4445
Didn't wanna hijack the other thread any more lol.

quote:

Oh ya i treat all my dogs right, shes always around my little nieces and nephews , and around other dogs. And its actually a she, only thing i might need to do is buy her a chew toy she chews on everything she can get a hold off.

Good to hear. Try to socialize her with as many NEW people and dogs as possible too. One of mine, who unfortunately was already 15 months w/dog aggression issues when I got him, is great with the other animals in our "pack" (dogs and cats), but goes into kill mode with unfamiliar dogs. So just be sure she's friendly with family and strangers alike.

Couple things about the chewing.

1. She's going to chew, period. Make sure you have a few good chew toys for her to choose from. The Galileo bone by Nylabone is particularly awesome.

2. Congratulate/encourage her to chew the things she's allowed to chew.

3. Catch her in the act of chewing things which she isn't supposed to chew as much as possible. When you catch her, correct her by giving her something she's allowed to chew on rather than just scolding/yelling at her, she won't understand that.

4. Be careful. My neighbor's dog just died at only 11 months old, because he ate such a large portion of a rope toy that it clogged his intestines and he didn't survive emergency surgery. Very sad, they're good dog owners, dogs unfortunately just don't understand the concept of having to digest what they eat.

Dogs I have owned or known have eaten: Grease from a deep fryer, razorblades, chocolate (aka dog poison), half ounce of mar!juana, ballpoint pens, water bottles etc.

Gold Member
Username: Wolf_hound

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1201
lol i own 3 other pits so i know all about them.. The other ones i got when they were a little bigger like around 4-8 months. This one is 2 months old. Btw what is your opinion on cropping a dogs ears? And Ive been giving her natural choice dry food and she doesnt seem to like it anymore, also you think i should still be giving her milk?

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4449

quote:

what is your opinion on cropping a dogs ears?

Julian, ear cropping and tail docking are HORRIBLE.

Most importantly, it interferes with a dogs ability to communicate. The posture, position, and movement of a dogs ears and tail are VITAL for communicating with humans, and more importantly, other dogs. It is amazing how much you can tell about a dogs state of mind based on their body language. This is soooo crucial for picking up signs of hostility and tense situations.

In addition, it's just pointless. Some believe it prevents ear infections, but ask a vet, that's BS. Not to mention all the complications people have, you'll have to bandage the ears regularly for weeks/months. It's irritating to the animal and they'll claw/pick at it constantly. There's major risks with the anesthesia involved in the procedure as well. Even when it's all said and done, there is often scarring, and misproportioned, strange looking ears.

Let the ears flop and the tail wag. It's natural, it's safer, and it looks a million times better IMO.

quote:

Ive been giving her natural choice dry food and she doesnt seem to like it anymore

To the best of my knowledge, Nutro Natural Choice is decent, but not great. The dog food market is not unlike the subwoofer market; most of the well-known brands are BS. Even the ones that claim to be nothing but the best.

Scroll down to the "best answer", this person did an awesome job. I'd throw out Innova though since they recently sold to Proctor and Gamble and the quality should suffer. Orijen, solid gold, canidae, merrick, wellness, eagle pack holistic are all good choices.

Milk is a nono. Once they're done feeding from mom, no need for milk. It is actually bad for them and will cause erratic and.... "unfriendly" bowel movements lol.

Gold Member
Username: Big_edge_head

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 4327
Wheres the other thread?

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1202
Its in the evolution and god thread you jackass....

And thanks ehren thats a good list of foods, ill look for them next time i got to petsmart.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4452
You may have trouble finding a quality food at petsmart. To use another subwoofer analogy, it'd be like going to Best Buy to look for high quality subwoofers.

If you can find a smaller dog/pet supplies store in your area, they'll probably have a much better selection of good foods. That way you can rotate the foods every few months too, which is a commonly overlooked, but important aspect of canine health. Like humans, dogs need a wide variety of foods to meet their nutritional needs, rotating their foods goes a long way, and they GREATLY appreciate the variety.

Sorry if I'm inundating you a bit lol. I'm confident you're a great dog-owner, not trying to imply otherwise. I just get really excited when anyone gets a new dog

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1203
lol ill try to find a smaller dog store don't think i've seen any around here but ill google it and see what i find. And yes i am a great dog owner unlike most people who just trow their dogs in the backyard just as guard dogs. I take my dogs for a walk every now and then, as soon as i get the leash they get all excited lol. The one i just got though hates the leash she goes crazy and starts biting at the leash she will rather walk around with out having anything around her neck.

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4454
Man... Julian... I could type for 45 minutes on dog walking. The importance of the walk from the dog's perspective is unbelievable. What goes on between dog and master on the walk speaks volumes about their relationship, pack order, respect, everything. When you step out the door to go on that walk, it's the equivalent of a wild pack of dogs going out on a hunt. It's truly like a job or a mission to them. If you ever want to know anything about walking, problem behaviors, dog psychology...

I'll just leave it at this. Cesar Milan is not a joke. He is not a gimmick. A true master of his craft.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1206
My sister got her dog the same day i got mine but now i think her dog has parvo even though it already had his shot. You ever dealt with this ehren?

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4475
Well, if you think the dog might have parvo, the answer is simple, you need to take him/her to the vet asap. Parvo is very serious, and potentially deadly.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't think parvo is a one-shot and they're vaccinated for life kind of thing. My dogs are adults and I believe they still get a shot for it like once a year. In young dogs, I think they're supposed to get it a bunch of times until a certain age, something about the milk they get from mom fights against the vaccine or something.

See a vet for sure, parvo is no joke.

Gold Member

Phoenix, AZ

Post Number: 1209
F^ck the vet almost everyone we called wanted 200+ just to look at it. And then the price goes way up from there.... We took it to a hood vet, some dude put ivs and gave him antibiotics, a week later he was all good.....

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

Post Number: 6410
Interesting take on ear cropping and tail docking, Ehren. I have a Doberman who's ears are cropped and tail is docked, and I personally think he would look ridiculous with floppy ears and a long tail. On top of that, I don't think it has hurt his communication skills. He still wags his nub and can move his ears freely. Here's a picture

Duke:
Upload

Gold Member

The Chicago area

Post Number: 4484
I was probably overstating things when I said it's "HORRIBLE". I certainly don't go around criticizing other people for doing it, if someone wants to have their dogs tail/ears clipped, go for it.

It's just pointless to me. Comes with some risk, for no reward IMO. It's only done out of vanity. Which is fine, we all do things out of vanity. This is one in particular that I find pointless. I prefer the natural look of the tail and ears anyway, clipping them just takes away slightly from the character of their appearance.

As far as causing communication issues, it certainly isn't always the case. Also, it's probably only going to affect the more subtle aspects of communication that exist mostly just between dogs. For any dog who is reasonably sociable, it's a non-issue.

Let me make a loose, non-accusatory analogy. It seems the same to me as if a parent took their child to get plastic surgery, not to correct something that was a significant deformity or posed a health problem, but just to make them look a little better. It's just kinda pointless. With that said, if a person decides to get breast implants or liposuction out of vanity, because they feel it will make a significant difference in their life (i.e. self confidence), I say more power to 'em. Difference is they can decide for themselves. If Duke got to choose when he was a puppy (now this is just getting silly lol), he undoubtedly would've said "don't bother I like my ears and tail just fine".

Coincidentally, I also have sort of a pet peeve about girls who have been... "modified". Lip implants, cheekbone restructuring, nose jobs, they all look awful to me 95% of the time. And I'll take a perky little pair of A or B cups over a pair of clownish, prop-like, fake double D's, ANY DAY!

Diamond Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 22891
Yup. Natural is in. At least in my eyes. The days of the triple D's are over. They lead to physical problems later in life anyway and just deform what God gave ya in the first place.

As far as dogs go I 100% agree with Pit. It's not going to make them a better dog or pet at all, just subconsciously reinforce our "belief" in control of everything around us.

Take the current oil spill. How "in charge" do we feel now?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us