Tech-Nerd Alert: LED Flashlights

Platinum Member
Username: Basshead86

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10693
I recently took it upon myself to purchase a small, relatively inexpensive LED flashlight from Gander Mtn. the other day. And once a new trinket makes it into my collection, i have a tech-nerd tendency to research the best of the best of that said trinket. I have done this with countless things, and my newest subject is the LED Flashlight. lol

After finding out what model of flashlight i bought, i had to find out what the best of the best were in the LED flashlight range, and what then best reviewed LED flashlights were.
I came to the conclusion that the Top 3 companies i came across the most were Surefire, Nitecore, and Fenix. Among these Fenix seemed to be rated the highest for quality/price ratio, so i decided i would research which one i wanted to buy.

Now here comes the tech-nerd part no ones understands. lol I already had a decent LED flashlight, so why would i need another one, well, because as any tech-nerd can tell you: You don't really know what nice is until you have owned "nice". so i simply had to have one. haha!

I ended up purchasing this flashlight and i can't wait to get it in the mail and test it out against the other two flashlights i have: a Maglite D-cell, and my 7-LED Dorcy.
soooo thats about it.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5544
LED flashlights are the only way to go. I use Pelican for my high $ ones and Outback for my cheaper ones that I know will get thrashed in my car, drum bags, etc. By the way, I highly recommend the Outback Bushman series. They are nine LED, small, stubby models that are bright as fack and take a beating. Cannot beat them for the money.

And Muddy... you should probably do research before you buy things.

Gold Member
Username: Livin_loud

COD4 Addict

Post Number: 3033
we get issued surefires. don't think i've ever seen flashlights twice the size get even close to as bright. takes lithium ion batteries but even those don't last so long. only 1 led in the things too

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 5547
Eric those 3 and 5 watt ultra high output LED's eat batteries just like normal flashlights. It's the little low-wattage ones in series that last a long time.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4348
Sup Brad? How you been, dude? Long time no see.....

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10702

quote:

And Muddy... you should probably do research before you buy things.

Hahaha!!! it was a $9 impulse buy that led to an obsession with owning what i conceived to be a nicer version of my impulse buy. lol but i definitely see what you mean. however, i really didnt have a need for an LED flashlight, until i bought one on impulse and found this tech-nerd nerve inside that thought they were tooo damn cool. :-)

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, OR USA

Post Number: 4352
I didn't think that these things were so popular. I had a cheap @ss one about a year ago that I had won at an old peoples B-Day party. I thought it was bright as hell but made cheap as fluck. It lasted until my kids got ahold of it. haha.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10703
that Outback Bushman is very similar in features to the Dorcy 9 LED flashlight that i bought at Gander Mtn. i agree that the lower wattage LED's in series last WAYYYYYYY longer than the 3 watt and 5 watt CREE Q3 or Q5 LEDs that most of the higher end torches carry.

Platinum Member

Steady as she goes...

Post Number: 10704
there is a HUGE demand in the rescue, construction, and military industry for better, brighter, tougher, more efficient ways to light your way, your workspace, your whatever.

these things get rather expensive when you want to spend some money, and some are made of things like aircraft grade aluminum, and waterproof to so many meters. pretty cool stuff.:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us