OT: HIDs

Gold Member
Username: Skibum12189

Cleveland

Post Number: 3070
I tried to find the thread that was about HIDs a little while back but couldn't, could someone post it?

if not, basically, i want to get HIDs for my jeep. i do not have projector headlights and I would only be getting HID lowbeams. I want basically a whitish-bluish color, like xenons, not like ricer colors. 1. should i get projectors? 2. where's a good place online to buy HID kits. 3. are HIDs worth it if it would run like 200?

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3200
1. Everyone will say yes to that one except me and a few other people and both sides stand by their argument b/c we both have legit arguments
2. I can get them for you
3. I can get them for you for $110 shipped

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2727
Cal i bought some a few weeks back. I will be posting some pix later on this week.

Silver Member
Username: Semperfi

Post Number: 105
what are "Ricer colors"?

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2470
Andrew. text me bro. FOUR OH FIVE EIGHT THREE ONE FOUR FIVE FIVE SEVEN.

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3215
I consider ricer colors 6-8k and above

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
thats funny andrew.... because most high end cars that come with HIDs come with 6-8k.... HAHAHAHA

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 23259
will be installing my hid fog light kit this weekend.:-)

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3727
Chad!?!?! WTF! Where have you been!!! I can't sleep at night man! My life is in shambles without you!

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3219

quote:

thats funny andrew.... because most high end cars that come with HIDs come with 6-8k.... HAHAHAHA

Major fail. I have yet to see a Cadillac, Jag, Accura, BMW.... to come STOCK with anything over 5k. Not saying that there isnt something out there that does but not very likely. Most are 4300

Silver Member

Post Number: 113
i wouldn't really consider most acura or cadis to be high end.... Lexus, Infinity, ZR-1, Viper, farrari, maybach, bently, lambo, masarati, those are high end.... they have the option... there for it is stock

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3221
Didnt know they had the option. Either way, most people will say anything over 6k is getting ricey and anything 8k and over is defiantly ricey

Silver Member

Post Number: 114
honestly i've never heard that lol... i was thinking about getting 30k for my bike... lol

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Texas

Post Number: 3623
^and you will prob be hit or harassed because of it. Bike lights are bright stock, I don't see the point in putting something that bright on my bike, or any bike at that.

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
thieves, the point of putting different color lights on a bike is so your seen. think about it when you see cars with real HID lights, they stand out, and you can't help but keep lookin at them right? well 30k HID are pinkish purple, and very few people have them so i would stand out more. normal bike lights are bright yes, but they are normal lights so people don't usually see them because they are looking for something to stand out

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3731
I have normal headlights, with below average performance due to foggy residue built up inside the lights' housings. And honestly, if it's late at night and i'm driving somewhere without streetlights and/or much illumination from just off the street, these extra bright lights are absolutely blinding when oncoming traffic is passing me. It's quite annoying and unsafe and I hate it.

The price to get my lights replaced at a shop is RIDICULOUS! Like $200+/light. And I don't know how to do it myself. Bollocks!

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3626
No one is LOOKING for something to stand out, if something stands out, then it does. When you can't stop looking at that something, you drift to that point. Meaning the person operating the truck or car coming toward you will start to steer that vehicle toward what they are staring at. Did you not learn that in driving school (either one), or simply driving? If you want something someone will keep looking at, on a bike, you're asking to get hit. Not only that, but they are bright already, going brighter will just annoy people even more.

I know I'm not a fan when I see a sport bike with HIDs coming my direction. Especially lowered bikes, because most only lower the rear, you're getting more bulb if you're in front of the bike due to the angle the front cowling is now sitting at.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
lowering bikes is stupid, your not looking for something to stand out? so headlights at night don't stand out when your making a right or left turn onto a road? personally i look for head lights if i can't see headlights i look for the out line of a car then i go if all is clear... if you have HID lights with projector bulbs then it isn't as bad as just normal lights because the beam is directed to the deck.

if you look it up, the hotter temperature bulb the less concentrated and brighter the light, but the more obvious it is

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3078
capps, do you have before/after pics?

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3222
yeah. Let me get home tomorrow and Ill throw some up. I have before and afters with my 10k's and 4300's in my fronty and afters of my friends 4300's in his silverado

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3628
actually, there are a lot of people that lower their bikes to a comfortable ride height, so it you consider an attempt to ride safe stupid, I don't know why you're riding.
I never said I'm not looking for other vehicles on the road, what I said was, when you get said bright bulbs, regardless of whether your bike isn't lowered correctly, it tends to be more of an annoying to others on the road. When these other drivers see your bright head light on say a one lane road (in either direction), they tend to drift toward that point, which could be very bad for you.

If you have a projector headlight and it's aligned properly that's a whole different story. Here, the oncoming drivers aren't getting a lot of bulb in their eyes, which makes it easier on them.

Regardless, the hotter temp bulbs make it harder to see, making it more likely to override your headlight. If I were you I'd stick to pure white, f*ck pinks and blues (i.e. ricer colors) and those colors that make your visibility limited on the road.

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
you don't know why I'm riding? hum... maybe because im good at it and im not stupid about it. if you can't get a bike that fits you and you have to risk the bike nd the handling of the bike so you can be fit right on it? going for an R1 when your 5'8" when an R6 is plenty of power and more in your hight range... yea im stupid for thinking that way...

if you ride where i've been riding (phx, 29 palms, yucca valley Joshua tree) the roads are lit up enough to where your head lights are on to let the on coming divers know your there.

lets say this, you have your opinion about this stuff and so do i, we have different views and they are both right :-)

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

Www.stainles... .ecrater.com

Post Number: 19924
I haven't read this entire thread so don't throw stones lol but....

I've been riding bikes for going on 20+ years. I'm all for the visibility factor in the headlight issue. I've had my close calls and my "I think I just sh1t my pants" calls. I, however, don't condone or ever participated in becoming a nuisance to other drivers with any headlamp other than factory. I've seen the ones in even broad daylight blind other drivers. As a cyclist you have as much responsibility to be aware of your surrounding drivers as you do to not be a burden to them. It's sorta like the azzholes who drill their exhaust. "I want to be heard from miles away, for safety".

Cyclists with years of experience know this doesn't come from drilled pipes or fancy headlights. It comes from learning how to read the road and the idiots who drive on them.

I've seen my share of weekend warriors who cruise the strip on 140+ hp monsters wearing beach gear. Sure they have the bright azz headlights and loud azz pipes but are they in the right mind set?

Not implying or directing anything to anyone. Just my $.02.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3630
Well before agreeing to disagree, I just want to say some people are shorter than others, regardless of power. That being the case, lowering a sport bike one inch front and back, instead of just back, really won't effect handling that much. It's really about keeping the geometry of the bike that's important.
That being said, I agree to disagree.

Also, Paul knows what my point is, and I haven't been riding as long as he has thanks Paul.

p.s. Paul do you remember me making a thread about what should my first bike be?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19926
Vaguely but yes.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3633
Turns out I got a liter bike. And I'd like to side with you, get a smaller bike for your first...lol. I'm pretty level headed so I've been doing well, but this is a 14 yr old bike, and damnnit it's heavy lol.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19928
1000cc bikes are fast. Holy cow fast. The bike I learned on was my father's 1979 CB350. The bike I bought first was a 1984 Honda V30 Magna. I &^%$! loved the damn thing. Then I wanted more power. So next was the 1400 Intruder. Loved it. Then I had to dump my love for cycles because I am now a single parent.

Life deals you cards. You play with them.

That is all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 121
1000cc is kinda too much, 600 is more realistic (for cr0tch rockets IMO)

you can't say Cr0tch on here... lol

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3079
so about the HIDs??

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3637
It's not a cr0tch rocket, it's a sport touring. and it's 14 years old.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19931
If the graces that be allow it I'll be on a Goldwing someday. I mean c'mon. A motorcycle that has gps, heated seats, reverse, full electronics AND looks like it can ride itself is something I dreamed of for many years.

Someday.

Maybe.

Silver Member

Post Number: 122
i was just saying for cr0tch rockets, not your bike thieves lol

so about HID's i like them, all the colors exept yellow... i think they are 3k or something... not a big fan of those

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19934
It even has ABS for God's sake. $21,000 though. Tire pressure monitoring and everything else you can think of. I just want one to look at lol.

Upload

Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
LOL Paul.. have you ever rode on one? i did when i was like 9 or something... don't really remember anything about it though LOL

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19935
No I haven't. Sat on them in the dealerships many times though. Someday(hopefully) I'll be able to pull the trigger and buy one. They are just a super machine for the cruiser/touring market, something I'd love to do a bit later in my life. Maybe across country when/if I have the time.

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3228
Before HIDs in my frontier
Upload
After in the frontier (10000k)
Upload
Upload

My buddys 05/6 Z-71 (4300k)
Upload
Upload
Upload

I can get pics of my fronty with 4300 in the headlights and fog lights if youre interested cal

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3080
dayum, do you have projectors too?

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19946
Well they DEFINITELY make a difference.Upload

Silver Member

Post Number: 133
as far as i know frontiers don't have projector bulbs stock but they might have after market conversions... doesn't look like he has them though

Gold Member

Cleveland

Post Number: 3081
so if i wanted like a white light or like a higher end xenon color, what number should i be lookin at? 10000k?

Silver Member

Post Number: 137
no 6-8kk is good, its the brightest and travels the farthest. its also like a whitish blue 10kk would be more of a bluish if thats what your lookin for then go for it.

personally i love HIDs and the hotter the bulb the better IMO LOL... they even make 30kk GREEN HAHAHAHAHA

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3229
The whiter the brighter and the lower the number, the whiter. 4300 is pure white. The pic of my Fronty is with 10k. Imagine the difference from that to 4300. Its even better. And no, I dont have projectors and the only ones Ive ever seen after market are horrible.

Gold Member

Texas

Post Number: 3641
I prefer the pure whites. I have silvania ultras, highs and lows, and it makes a hell of a difference, plus your eyes are less fatigued with the pure whites.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23283
just got done installing a hid kit for my fogs yesterday. i love it. now i need a set of 9006 hid kit for my headlights so i can blind people. lol.

Platinum Member
Username: Nd4spd18

Philadelphia, PA

Post Number: 10008
Capps, you have HIDs in non-projectors housings? How does that not blind people.... if there is a way to make that work I would really like to know..... cause I can get composite housings for my truck but haven't found any projectors.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 23287
its all in the aiming ms.

Gold Member

Andrew Capps, NC US

Post Number: 3242
EXACTLY!

Finally someone else agrees with me. I messed around with mine for about 20-30 mins to aim them and then got a friend to meet me head on to see if they were blinding. He said they were brighter than normal lows but a lot dimmer than someone with their highs on. I have only had 3-4 people flash me since Christmas of '07

Gold Member
Username: Loc_out

Team RE XXX

Post Number: 2741
Chad i just got mine install this pass saturday. 8000K love them and they dont blind people.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us