Boy kills himself after being encouraged by people on bodybuilding.com

Gold Member
Username: Lol

Post Number: 1098
FLORIDA -- A college student committed suicide by taking a drug overdose in front of a live webcam as some computer users egged him on, others tried to talk him out of it, and another messaged OMG in horror as it became clear it was no joke.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=6518614

http://www.truecrimereport.com/2008/11/candyjunkie.php

The video originally embedded above has been taken offline.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=112121881

can one be charged if you watch someone commit suicide and not do anything

newage

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 19028
What can you do? Dial 911?

Anonymity will bring out the absolute worst in ppl. Ppl on the verge of suicide generally are looking to be saved. Think about it, if you truly wanted to end your life why give yourself an out like those who take pills 15 minutes before ppl get home or hang on a ledge for an hour waiting to be talked down??

Had it been their neighbor it would have been different. Someone 1000's of miles away is as much a concern to some as the temperature on Venus.

Personally I would rather be the successful suicide victim than have to live with contributing to something like that.

Those azzholes need help on a different level.

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1322
Actually someone notified the site moderator who tracked his IP to Pembroke Pines Florida and notified the local police..You would be shocked at what admins and mods can do at most sites...the kid had issues for awhile and had been previously talking about this..

Gold Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 1313
I think a vast majority of the guys on that site are tools anyway so it does not really surprise me that they waited as long as they did to contact the mod, 12 hours according to what I read. It is a shame that no one that site cared enough to take it seriously. If the kid said he was gonna go on a suicidal rampage then he woulda been found out in a flash. Shame people are so callous as they are.

Bronze Member
Username: Heavens

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 17
wow i cant believe that i wonder how they feel now

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3575
Pretty sad. I'm a BB.com member and I've said before there are a TON of immature meat-heads over there. There was a thread a while back (no relation i know of to this case), where someone was saying they wanted to commit suicide and they wanted to know how. I swear the first like 10 posts or so were all legitimate suggestions of serious ways to kill yourself (drink this, take these, cut yourself like this etc.). None of them even asked, are you serious? is this a joke? do you need help? calm down don't do anything crazy.

None of that.

I hope the pathetic *ucks who egged him on realize what they did, or didn't do, and feel a lot of guilt for a very long time. Some people will try to defend them, I can hear it already, "they're not responsible for some random kid posting on the internet"! And that's true, they aren't responsible for looking after that kid.

But that's not the point, whether the person might be joking or not, think about what you have to lose/gain if he is or is not kidding around.

To those people, looking cool online or being admired for razzing someone is important enough to risk saying some really horrible things to someone in a very fragile state who is crying out for help.

Gold Member
Username: Tatonka

-[Team Audible Insanity]-

Post Number: 2469
That's life though.
BB is defiantly not a forum to be Emo on.

Why are people so selfish and stupid to kill themselves? It makes no sense. I had a very close cousin, and another close friend commit suicide over some of the stupidest stuff. Just wish I could have knew about it and let them know the stupidity of the idea.

RIP CJ.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19035
"Pretty sad. I'm a BB.com member and I've said before there are a TON of immature meat-heads over there. There was a thread a while back (no relation i know of to this case), where someone was saying they wanted to commit suicide and they wanted to know how. I swear the first like 10 posts or so were all legitimate suggestions of serious ways to kill yourself (drink this, take these, cut yourself like this etc.). None of them even asked, are you serious? is this a joke? do you need help? calm down don't do anything crazy.

None of that.

I hope the pathetic *ucks who egged him on realize what they did, or didn't do, and feel a lot of guilt for a very long time. Some people will try to defend them, I can hear it already, "they're not responsible for some random kid posting on the internet"! And that's true, they aren't responsible for looking after that kid.

But that's not the point, whether the person might be joking or not, think about what you have to lose/gain if he is or is not kidding around.

To those people, looking cool online or being admired for razzing someone is important enough to risk saying some really horrible things to someone in a very fragile state who is crying out for help."

^^^Good post.

The same applies to bullies when young. It affects ppl later in life. You may not push the button but you damn well influenced it.

I grew up small and thin. Took many abuses from those older and larger. Hated it. I mean it stuck with me. Now I'm 6'2" 220 lbs. Nobody flucks with me, yet I'm the most gentle guy around.

I also walk my streets during Halloween making sure other bullies aren't stealing candy bags.

It bothers me something fierce now you know?

Gold Member
Username: Redliner

Wilmington, Ma

Post Number: 4692
al i can say is RIP Cj. i cant believe people would egg somebody on like that. I mean if i started a thread like that I would hope you guys would say whats wrong. We might have to test the waters in a couple of months just to see the responses. those guys must feel terrible or so I hope they do

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8922
In all honesty...if someone really feels so miserable in life and is suffering then maybe JUST MAYBE they're better off dead. Would you like to be alive and depressed and completely miserable or would you like the easy way out? Just a thought, I think it's very selfish to take your own life but if someone hates life that much and their life is that bad maybe they're better off. You guys don't know what each and every individual has gone through or has to deal with on a daily basis so to voice an opinion on if someone should take their own life or not really can't be said unless they life in question is your own. He'll I'd personally rather be dead then life a completely horrible life that can't get any better but I still wouldn't take the easy way out.

Gold Member
Username: Denali_on_22s

I get Bucks like Milwa...

Post Number: 6211
rob you are the kind of guido douchebag who would say something like that.

no one should ever take their own life. that is not why it is given to you. an eternity in hell is worse than any feeling you could have on earth.

that being said, a lot of people into bodybuilding are into steroids which cause ridiculous emotional swings. this could have played into this kids situation; i don't know. regardless, my prayers go out to his family and friends.

Gold Member
Username: Joebruce

TC Sounds/DLS

Post Number: 2468
Hmmm I wonder what and how many pills he took?

Suicide is dumb and selfish,like others have said. If you kill yourself you might be taking the easy way out BUT what about your mom,dad,etc? They would be suffering the most. I would never even think about killing myself. If anything I would kill the person or people that are making my life miserablel. But who really gives a flying f*ck what people think about you? I dont,thats for sure or I would have already killed like 50+ people! Just live life like everyday is your last and give a f*ck less what people think/say about you and you will have a great life!!

Gold Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 1376
"In all honesty...if someone really feels so miserable in life and is suffering then maybe JUST MAYBE they're better off dead"

Haven't you ever read the many stories of the people who committed suicide, and were miraculously brought back to life, after their "out of body" experiences", who said "WTF was I thinking!"...and I'm not referring to feeble "attention getter people" with attempts at suicide, but people who meant business!..

Gold Member
Username: Lol

Post Number: 1109
At least he did it without actually involving innocents like driving headon into a truck or standing infront of a train.
or going on a last blast and shooting up a school Knowing he would likely be gunned down

But he did involve the forum members indirectly affecting their lives

Platinum Member

Post Number: 19066
It was a grasp at hope/help and it blew up in his face. He looked to lean on a group he thought would help but instead where out for entertainment.

Remember the scene in "What's eating Gilbert Grape?"

Love that movie.

The mentally challenged youth is enjoying the death of grasshoppers as he cuts their heads off using a mailbox door. He laughs and giggles while doing it. Then later cries hysterically about it.

I put those individuals who pushed him to do it on the same mental level. They don't possess the intellect of the weight of their actions, even online.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3586
I can't agree with Rob, suicide is never the answer. If you're that depressed or suffering, it's an indication that you need to change other things about the way you live your life, so you can get better.

I have to sorta take issue with the accusations of suicide being "stupid and selfish". Anxiety/depression runs in my family, I know what it feels like. I thank god that mine is manageable and I've never realistically been suicidal or anything like that. But I think some people really don't understand what those feelings are like.

Being depressed is MUCH different than being grumpy, in a bad mood, sad, frustrated etc. Being depressed is very intense, and very claustrophobic. Other than that I don't know how to describe it. I just think it's a misunderstanding to say people are selfish for being suicidal. I think maybe you guys are referring to the classic "i'm gonna show them" type of suicide, usually occurring with young people. Yes that is a selfish thing, and very tragic that the person was that distraught that they'd take it that far. But most suicides aren't committed just to make a point. Most are the outcome of someone having felt INCREDIBLY sad, guilty, and worthless for a long time, and just can't take it anymore. We're only human, we all have a breaking point.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8931
"I have to sorta take issue with the accusations of suicide being "stupid and selfish". Anxiety/depression runs in my family, I know what it feels like."

I'm pretty sure everyone knows what it feels like. Everyone has been depressed and some still are. Really though, I don't care too much, if someone no longer wants to live who should be the one to make that decision? I didn't know the person that committed suicide in this case so it doesn't phase me too much, people commit suicide on a daily basis, it's probably happening right now as I type this but I definitely don't lose sleep over it. If it were someone that was close to me of course it would be different but that's not the case so it's not really a big deal. Through my life I've seen quite a few people die that were close to me and only one of them supposedly committed suicide. Is it messed up? Sure but the person felt it was best for him and who am I to say it wasn't...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6221
"if someone no longer wants to live who should be the one to make that decision"

someone who is actually sane. if you are contemplating suicide then you are not in your right mind. suicide solves nothing and complicates everything. if someone really believes they have no reason to live anymore then they are mentally unstable, thus unable to make decisions for themselves...

Gold Member

Post Number: 6222
"but the person felt it was best for him and who am I to say it wasn't..."

a f*cking idiot is what you are. if someone close to me committed suicide i would take a look at myself and wonder why the f*ck i didn't help them.

some people are just cold and they will die just how they lived.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8933
"a f*cking idiot is what you are. if someone close to me committed suicide i would take a look at myself and wonder why the f*ck i didn't help them."

I'm a f*cking idiot...tell me something I don't already know genius. You really think you can stop people from committing suicide so easily huh? You'd stop them from it? I'm sure you would. I probably would have tried to talk my cousin out of blowing out his f-ucking brains had I known he had issues but I wasn't given that opportunity so f-uck you. Anyhow, a lot of people don't just go around telling people they're going to commit suicide, some just do it and a lot of people are surprised by it. That's how this world is, lots of random things happen and they can't always be stopped. Since you care so much about this person mentioned here in this thread why don't you pay for his funeral since you're so concerned. I'm sure you have the money.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us