Pinks

Diamond Member
Username: Bestmankind

Post Number: 20959
ok i was watching this show called pinks. its the first time i saw this show. i heard much about it but never watched it.

now can someone explain some stuff for me?

1. heads up.....i know what that is. pretty much a heads up race.

2. 10/50 setup......what is this? they ask what they want to run and they say 10/50 setup. explain please.

3. why do they give one car like half a car length head start and stuff?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20961
now the mustang beat the camaro by 2 and a half car length so the next race they gave the camaro 2 and a half length head start.

btw its whoever wins 4 races first.

Gold Member
Username: Th3pwn3r

I compensate...

Post Number: 8132
That's how they try to attempt to balance the race or make it "fair" the faster car has to have a disadvantage. It's kind of stupid but it puts it on the driver a bit more. It's a thing of consistency.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20962
so if i was to race your rex i have to give you 2 car lengths?

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20963
just playin btw rob.

anyways whats a transbrake?

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3701
Yes, and if I were to race your accord, I would have to give you 2 car lengths.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20964
haha jesse. i smoke tegs all day long.

anyways answer my questions please.

Gold Member
Username: Naledge503

Portland, Or

Post Number: 3702
lol...I was jokin man. I dont know the answer to your question. When I get done with my Teg its gonna be badass. Its gonna take some time though.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20965
damn lol. well time to sleep. hopefully someone can answer my question.

Gold Member
Username: The_image_dynamic

San Diego, California

Post Number: 4008
From Wiki, since I am not a car guy:

A transbrake is a setup installed in automatic transmissions which places the transmission in first and reverse gears at the same time, effectively "braking" the transmission.

And although I searched and couldn't find anything, I am pretty sure that 10/50 refers to the 10:50:1 compression ratio for the pistons which is the optimum setup for 1/4 mile drags.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20966
thanks brad. you're the best.

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6257
yup, i watch that show. you dont have to have a fast car to win just a good driver and good negotiator.

Diamond Member

Post Number: 20967
i don't think they give up their car for reals though. i mean when they lose they are not as mad. lol. i would be. you spend over 20g on a car just to give it up on tv? i don't think so.

Silver Member
Username: Dsmith07

NC Http://com4....

Post Number: 813
It has a possibility to be real. I wouldnt wanna lost my $20k car, I guess some people got it like that though. None the less a very good show.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2621
a 10.50 means they are running it in 10.5 seconds...

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8139
"And although I searched and couldn't find anything, I am pretty sure that 10/50 refers to the 10:50:1 compression ratio for the pistons which is the optimum setup for 1/4 mile drags."

This isn't totally true, I'm not trying to be an azzhole or anything but I'll put some info out there. A 10.50:1 compression ratio isn't exactly the OPTIMUM bore or ratio for 1/4mile drags. There are LOTS of factors. You could be running N/A(Naturally Aspirated) or you could be running a sh1t load of boost pressure from forced induction from a Turbocharger or a supercharger. Then there's also Nitrous Oxide. All of these will play a role in what is the best compression ratio for your engine.

Gold Member

I compensate...

Post Number: 8140
I spent a lot of time designing engines and the higher the compression ratio the higher power output I was able to obtain of course this was in not boosted or forced induction setups. Basically they were "all motor" engines.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6259
rob know anything about alky injection? thinking about doing that to my 460

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1314
10/50 usually refers to the quarter mile time as capps said. but, i have seen it also refer to a shot of nitrous and how much each shot or spray equaled. a trans brakes main purpose is to lock the transmission for reving uup the motor to optimum rpm before you dump the clutch and let all that power loose. the reason why a trans brake is used is for 2 things. 1 no standard brake pad system can hold a high powered car while it revs it's rpms up. the car would leap forward, now why is this bad? 2. is why, when being staged to race if you leap or lurch when lined up the person who moved loses automaticlly. the reason? because in drag racing a race can be won by fractions of a sec and quartes of inches. if one car left a little sooner or ahead it is seen as a advantage same thing when someone gets red lighted it means the jumped the gun before the light ever went green. also reason why car lengths are given to whoever lost is thier trying to get the race as close as possible. btw u will also here the term sand bagging. it means when they let off the gas to win a race not going all out. why this is not aloud is cause if they don't push the car then on the last race they beat the guy all out by half a track the loser just got taken.

Platinum Member
Username: Rovin

1 15 = 149.1DBsTrinidad & T...

Post Number: 13834
i looked at it when it now came out & absolutely hated it - imo it SUX @SS !

host is such a b\utthead & sometime i feel he screws ppl over aka give em short end of the stick just to get it over & done with

even though if ur super rich i just hate the idea of losing ur ride after all that hard work & time u put into it ...

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10614
I used to watch it but there is to much laying up going on that makes it stupid if you ask me. You can hear the guys lay off at the end of the race to get the lengths down then they blast them out of the water on the last race. not a big fan personally.

Gold Member
Username: Pitbullguy

The Chicago area

Post Number: 3230
Longo is back FTW!!!

Gold Member
Username: Freezeman_7

FOR SALE, BNIB RD AUDI... USA

Post Number: 2273
actually keith if there was a cluth involved, you wouldnt have a trans brake, you would have somehting called a line lock. which most have anyways.
a trans brake is used only in an auto tranny, it puts the tranny in 1st and reverse at the same time. cause it to lock the rear tires while still being able to bring up the motor. and when you see green you will be able to leave at 5,000 rpm by just letting go of a button. its really an adavantage.

a line lock is used for 2 purposes in drag racing, 1 is used to do burnouts, once you roll through the water, you set the brake pressure at about 750-1200 pounds and keep it pressed while you press the line lock, you can then release the brake and the brake pressure will hold, you can then spin the rear wheels and start your burnout. the pressure will only go away once you release the line lock, the other use for it is, in a manual transmission car, as you no, you cant depress the cluth and put on the brake and step on the gas at the same time, so once your pre-staged, set the line lock to about 300 pounds since you wont have the whole weight of the car you dont need that much pressed, and get it set, when your red to STAGE, bring the motor up to about 3,000 rpm and the motor will drag the wheels into the stage beams, once your there depresse the cluth and deck the motor and release the clutch and line lock button at the exact same time, and your good to go.

we have a NHRA Competition Eliminator Team and an IHRA Pro Stock Team, so i have alot of knowledge on the drag racing subject, i do it every weekend.

hope that helps someone out.

Platinum Member
Username: James1115

Use a simple...

Post Number: 10630
WHAT UP PIT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6261
chase FTW

Gold Member

Post Number: 2274
lol thanks mat

Gold Member
Username: Kpa2727

Old Bridge, NJ USA !

Post Number: 1323
well i know a little i was just tryin to give a rough idea of what was goin on but thanks for the info chase. i said clutch but i was refering to what you meant on letting off and the car leaps out. as far as only being on a auto trans , are you sure? cause i could swear i seen a few dozen drivers usuing a trans brake and then shifting through the rest of the gears. maybe it was semi auto?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2275
no, cause with a manual transmission there is no need for a trans brake or TB cause the clutch acts as that in the manual.

most race cars, use a clutchless manual transmission. where the clutch is only used to make the car move forward and reverse. once the cluth is fully engaged the driver can shift gears without depressing the clutch anymore.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us