My friend and I were talking the other day

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 8574
we got into a talk relating to creation and he said he looked at things scientificly and I said that I looked at it from both the creator and science and that I believed that science and God co exsist and hes the reason for science and we progressed into talking about the planets and such but I eventually asked the question how do planets get created from a scientific explanation...anyone have any input id like to learn more on this

Gold Member
Username: •cam•

BC Canada

Post Number: 2220
If I remember correctly, they start as lumps of rock that start sticking together. They might have been molten rocks. Hmm. I'd like to know too. Ever read Angels & Demons? That book touches on God and science coexisting.

Platinum Member
Username: Wingmanalive

A pic is worth 1000 posts!!

Post Number: 15121
As with the limits of human thought also comes the depth to believe something you can't scientifically prove. That's faith.

With the comparison to space think about infinite smallness and how similar it is to infinite largeness. We as humans can only break something down as small as an atom, or even splitting it. Yet there has to be something tangible left to break in half again, but our CURRENT state of technology doesn't allow it. YET!

Now think about infinite largeness. I struggle with the concept of the "Big bang theory". You sit in a chair. That chair is in a room, in a house, on your block, in your town, state, country, continent, hemisphere, planet, solar system, galaxy, ect, ect.....

When does it end? The big bang theory suggests all matter/time/space/EVERYTHING was once condensed in an object the size of a grain of sand or smaller. Then.....BANG! All matter moving out from point of origin since the birth of time. Big question: What was that grain of sand in? I fail to visualize the concept of nothing. That there's some wall that dictates the end of the universe. How can that be? What's on the other side?

We as a species may not have evolved enough to explain it without it smacking us in the face.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8577
both of your posts got me thinking and I appreciate what you wrote...Cam's input was more of what I was looking for because im solid on believing in God as the creator but learning the answer to the creation of the planets scientificly would be nice to know

Gold Member

Post Number: 8578
"Ever read Angels & Demons? That book touches on God and science coexisting."

No I havent but ive heard of it

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15125
I'm Catholic, baptized, confirmed, and Godfather of two. I believe in God because I was raised that way. Still talk to him in my own way.

Gold Member
Username: Southernrebel

Monroe, Louisiana 2 DD3515s, 2...

Post Number: 6203
Also, think of it like this.

Even with all the knowledge mankind has aquired throughout time, we do not know everything.

Lets just say for instance that the knowledge of man is 5% of all the knowledge that can ever be acquired.

That said, how can anyone say there is no God? No matter what our 5% says about God...What if in that other 95% of knowledge, there is overwhelming evidence that God exists?

Oh, and I'm Pentecostal.

Gold Member
Username: Jtown

Team RD, Texas

Post Number: 2569
I'm a Dieist, I don't believe in the bible, as I feel it's a plagiarised creation. But that's JMO. I believe that if there is a "god" or "higher power" (I'm really iffy on this as well, as some things do and do not make sense here and there), that "it" abandoned the human race to fend for itself. You are who you make yourself to be, that "higher power" entrusted us to be kind to one another to be for the community, and have relationship. We are all parts of a whole. Just a basic explanation of what I believe.

As far as how planets are created, the discovery channel has more than a few episodes and what not about how they form, as clouds of dust at first, then the heat that's created by chemical reactions fuses these particles together until they become molten planetessimles(spell check)...etc etc.

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15127
"That said, how can anyone say there is no God? No matter what our 5% says about God...What if in that other 95% of knowledge, there is overwhelming evidence that God exists?"

That Canaan, is called faith.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8579
thanks for your scientific explanation Thieves and Canaan good thoughts as well and yes that is faith Paul but id like to say faith wasnt my intended focus but im fine with it

Gold Member
Username: Adddisorder

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6089
ill try not to go crazy here.

basically like you said there is no way to know the other "95%" of stuff we dont know. sure we cant know everything. and some things cant be explained, or understood. sure people like to follow the bible and they just have to have faith in it. well what about the movie the matrix, how do we know its not really like that. exactly we dont we just beleve that is not how it is.

im not trying to get at anything just making you guys think a little. nor am i trying to "pick a side" or any of that crap.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8580
you all know im a believer and my home church is lutheran but in terms of religion im a Christian first

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2232
Although I need to do more research and therefore can't form an opinion, I think Dan Brown makes extremely convincing arguments in both The Davinci Code and Angels & Demons. I don't really believe in God or anything but I won't knock anyone for their beliefs. People seem to be way to quick to do that.

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2868
planets get created like this

every piece of mass no matter how small had gravity that pulls on EVERY SINGLE other piece of mass in the UNIVERSE. Yes we are being pulled by the farthest piece of mass no matter what size it is. Also peices of mass are moving (because they are being pulled by other masses) when two get close they go together and then gain more of a gravitational pull and can pull in more mass. Slowly a planet forms

Gravity is weird.

Newton has a law that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. for example, you push on a wall, the wall pushes back on you, you hit a ball with a bat, the ball hits the bat back....

with gravity it only goes one way..gravity pulls...

that is one of the crazy things about gravity

Gold Member
Username: Blainew

Post Number: 2869
another great quote from my freshman english teacher...

"the more you know, the more you know you dont know."

Think of your knowledge inside a circle o

everything you know is inside, everything u dont know is outside

when the circle becomes bigger (more knowledge) you come in contact with more info that u dont know

O

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15130
^^^With size come gravity. Thus why the gravitational pull on the moon is 1/6th of what it is here on Earth.

Two of the smallest known elements in space have an attraction to each other. Kinda like my last marriage.

Oh boy am I paying for that one lol.

Gold Member
Username: Nyyfan13

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8957
I love astronomy. I took 4 classes in high school alone on it and loved it. I don't know why, just knowing its so big and we know next to nothing about it. Seems like everyone has explained it fair enough.

Theres a bunch of different steps in a planets lifetime. I could go through it if you are interested.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8583
nice blaine and simply stated...thanks also paul although i dont follow the two smallest elements in space comment...please do yanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 8584
you know when I was talking to my friend about this gravity did come to mind but I didnt know how it all fit together

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8961
Simply put, starts out as clouds of gas and dust and gravity brings them together. The cloud begins to spin and the center collapses causing the cloud to flatten out into a disk form. Elements in the cloud eventually begin to form a star in the center of the cloud. While the star forms (which is another multi-step process which I can explain if needed), more materials begin to form around the star. These forms are the making of planets. These planets slowly come together with the material and form. Gravity of course brings them together. The gravity given off by the star in the center make the planets around it start to circle the star. Thats basically how planets are formed in a solar system.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15492
Ooh touchy subject

Gold Member

Post Number: 8585
"Ooh touchy subject"

not really were all grown adults

Gold Member

Post Number: 8586
thanks for that explanation yanks I guess I can look this stuff up on the web if I want to learn more...I guess if I would have taken time to think about it more at the time I was discussing it with my friend I would have gotten a pretty good idea how things began...isnt it interesting how things just naturally come together to form a planet

Gold Member

15 MAG USA

Post Number: 8965
It is very interesting sean. Such a long, drawn out process to create even the smallest of planets/stars.

Silver Member
Username: North_of_ontario

Post Number: 573
Upload

Gold Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 1719
Another great read, The Lost Star.

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6098
i guess what it all comes down to does it even matter?

Gold Member

Post Number: 8606
My question mattered but im sure you meant something else

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6102
yeah thats not what i meant. im just basically saying why does it really matter where we came from and why should we worry about whats out there or stuff. life is short so we should just enjoy it.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8608
oh I agree we should enjoy it but a person can be curious

Gold Member

Palm Beach, Florida

Post Number: 6109
absolutly its human nature to be curios im not saying anyone here is im just saying i dont think anyone should let it affect there life to a point. i have seen some people that are way to wrapped up in religon.

Platinum Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 15498
I have met those people. Some of them wrap themselves up in explosives in the name of their god.

Gold Member
Username: Shortysetnies

Rock Vegas, NC US

Post Number: 2413
I agree somewhat, but you have to look at it from another prospective mat. People probably look at people like us and think, wow they are way to wrapped up in car audio or baseball or whatever it might be. I think having something you really enjoy and you really want to learn about is a great thing be it, religion, computers, cars, electricity... Anything. Everyone should always wanna learn about something.
The people that bother me are the religious ones that beat you in the head with the bible. Forcing something down someones throat will, 9 times out of 10, make them resent it more.

As for the OP, I have no idea. Sorry sean

Gold Member

BC Canada

Post Number: 2244
^Down to Earth dude^

Platinum Member

Post Number: 15164
There are three kinds of ppl in the world.

1). Those who make things happen.

2). Those who watch things happen.

3). Those who wonder what happen.

You have to step back and discover which one are you.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us