Buying a floor model

floor model steve
Unregistered guest
I'm going to buy a projection TV and have found a good deal on a Toshiba 46Hx83 floor model. From what I can tell this is a pretty good TV, but I'm having a bit of heartburn over buying a floor model. Are there any Major risks that would cause me to stay away from a floor model.

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 46
Well, in my experience...

Just make sure it isn't 'shop worn', i.e. a defective unit that's been repaired. That's the only problem I've had in the past, and I've gotten some real lemons.

As a matter of fact, I bought a top of the line Kenwood (audio) receiver, years ago. It cost me $550 instead of $750. It worked great, expect it blew the finals out on the left channel every 6 months, sometimes taking a board with it. It soured me so much on Kenwood, that I have never bought another Kenwood product again... and never will.

I won't bore you with all the other lessons I learned the hard way, before coming to this conclusion, but bottom line is: Don't buy repaired merchandise.

Sales ppl will tell you anything you want to hear, in order to make a sale. It's a big game to them. They love to stand around the 'water cooler' and brag about how they just screwed someone. I know! I used to work the floor in a nationally recognized, big-name hardware store...

Anyway, floor models are okay, as long as they are NOT defective models fresh from the shop. A lot of times, they are simply discontinued models and such, but who's to say?

Floor model steve
Unregistered guest
VinDSL,

Thanks Man. I think this is a "discontiued model" making way for the next generation. As you say, I guess I'll really never know because they may not tell me the truth. This is good advice though, I will now ask the question very directly...i.e. "is this a repaired model". Thanks. Know anything about this model of Toshiba?

Bronze Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 50
No, I really don't anything about it. There are just too many different sets out there, and competing technologies, to keep track of them all. I seem to gravitate towards Sony Grand Wega LCD's and Sammy DLP's for some reason. I'll probably end up with both some day, but I bought the Sony first.

One thing I might mention... I Googled your Toshiba and ran across this:

http://www.streetprices.com/Electronics/Consumer/TV/Projection_46in/SP2039329.ht ml

That sends up a few warning flags in my mind. Caveat Emptor!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us