Black Screen or White????????

Username: Ztevenz

Post Number: 5
I am just strting to investigategetting a projector and screen instead of a plasma, and I was looking at motorized screens. Some are black and some are white, what is the difference?
which are better and for what reasons?

Unregistered guest
Eric, there are alot of sites out there that will explain what the differances are. google it. but from my personal experiance and research i found out some pretty interesting things. what u need to ask is what the screen GAIN is, not so much the color of the screen. whats that u say? i recently bought a projector (Optoma EP719) as a home theater setup, and what i bought was a gray, 92", Optoma(Gray Wolf), 16:9, 1.8 GAIN screen. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7035718&type=product&id=1099395889 754. there are differant gains on screens. the lower ones are 1.0 GAIN screens, and are generaly white. 1.0 GAIN means that the light you project on it will be 100%(1.0) as bright as the lumens,(the brightness of the lamp in your projector) thrown on it. now with a 1.8 gain, what i have, this means u get 180%(1.8) of the light, meaning that your light will now be 80% brighter. so if u saw one that was 1.3 gain it would be 130%(1.3) and so on. now the disadvantge of the higher gain screens is, the farther you are away from the middle view of the screen, the more u loose some of the brightnenss(or the gain). now in a movie theater they can get away with this becasue the screen is curved so no matter where u sit, u see the same brigthness. but in home, the screen is flat so you see a differance, but its not enough to bother me. gray screens are better because they pull more whites and blacks out, which is good because they are hard to see sometimes. i dont have the fancy motorized one only because i didnt need to spend the extra dough. so its up to you, mine is a manual pull down and works fine, and motors tend to fail at some point. there are about 3 major companies that make screens. mine is called an Optoma, but when the package came it said Gray Wolf, so companies just put their names on it. so try and find out who really makes it, and make sure they are ruputable, Gray Wolf is one. and by the way once u see how big of a picture u can get at such good quality, you'll never want a tube/lcd/projector tv again. be sure and get a projector that has high lumens, mine is 2000 lumens, and during the day with my blinds closed i have trouble seeing the darker parts of shows,but its rocks at night! so use it in a dark room or try getting lumens of 3000 or higher. if money is an issue i would also recommend getting your projector at a place like Best Buy, where if u spend an extra $150 to get a 3 yr warranty, u can save alot on bulb replacement costs. which can be around $3-400 dollars, for 2000 hrs of use. now there are two types of projectors too, DLP, and LCD. but thats another forum: https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/115931.html, that explains it qutie clearly. good luck!

Username: Jashman143

Beaverton, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1
Also this may help as i didnt mention it. White screens are color and contrast neutral. Grey screens reduce brightness but add contrast. Some expensive screens can raise both contrast and brightness. Black screens are very new and not yet on the market. They reject a lot of ambient light for day time viewing, but have a narrow viewing cone.

Username: Elitescreens

Garden Grove, California United States

Post Number: 1
In the past five approximately years we've got seen a raft of Black Screens and gray Screens hit the market.

Grey screens are around for quite an whereas in actual truth. Grey as typically they're named, were introduced over ten years agone.

The primary reason for such screens was to extend distinction magnitude relation so as to provide higher color levels.

The problem with these satellite gray screens within the main are:

They could solely be negative gain (which mean they threw back less light-weight than hit the screen) Gray screens gave the whites a grey feel to them. They had the tendency to loose detail within the white spectrum. So aside from these satellite gray screens, just about all you may choose or else were white screens.

Are White Screens Bad?

In general, no. It simply depends on what grade you choose.

Like with everything, the additional you pay, the higher the result. the simplest of the white screens from corporations like Screen Innovations and Stewart FilmScreen, square measure far and away extreme playacting product.

They use superior cloth, materials and technology, and perform well in dedicated and fully darkened Home Cinemas.

White screens conjointly are available in completely different choices like commonplace, high gain, Acoustic plain-woven and Microperforated (the last 2 permit you to position your speakers behind the screen for additional on these 2 technologies please scan our article on Audio clear Projector Screens).

They can also be quite low cost, though keep in mind concerning you purchase what you get. therefore the smart ones will begin round the $1500 mark whereas Black Screens generally begin round the $3500 mark.

So why go Black?

The theory behind Black Screens instead of gray is right down to the event of optical technology, LED by Screen Innovations. http://elitescreens.com/
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us