No sound when recording on Hitachi VCR

Unregistered guest
Our Hitachi VCR has suddenly stopped recording sound. If we record a TV show and try to play it back on either VCR, there is a picture but no sound. Old recordings still have sound and play fine. The problem is only with new recordings. I ran a head cleaning tape through several times but it didn't make any difference.

Please help.

Thanks!

Silver Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 262
Is the audio on SAP?

Unregistered guest
Please forgive what may be a stupid question but what is SAP? I checked out the menu on the VCR and found a lot of options relating to which shows to record, CATV vs Normal, etc. However, I couldn't find anything referring to audio. Is this something that could be changed by mistake?
Thanks,
Ian

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
It's only on HiFi VCRs, so if it's not HiFi it wouldn't have it. It's second audio program which can contain anything they want to put on it, sometimes nothing.

Unregistered guest
Probably not then. It's a Hitachi M241 that we bought new 10 or 12 years ago. Now that we have DVD players, the VCR's primary use is to tape a show that comes on every day so it can be watched in the evening. This is usually done over and over on the same tape until it starts to get ratty at which point we replace the tape. I just tried a wet head-cleaning tape on my son's recommendation with no success. In fact, it only plays for 12 seconds in the Hitachi while it runs for 40 seconds in the second VCR. It still plays with sound although I have to admit the sound quality is down (it runs through the stereo). It just won't record sound. Maybe it's time to replace it given the age and how cheap VCR's are now.

Silver Member

Post Number: 278
If it's that old then replace it with a HiFi VCR, especially if you are running it through a stereo. The audio difference is like comparing an 8-track to a CD.

12345abcde
Unregistered guest
can you put a non hifi vcr to a stereo.

HelpLinda
Unregistered guest
My SONY vcr has started to do the same thing. Recording the video without the sound. The funny thing is that when commercials come on then the sound is recorded but when the TV program starts then its just silent. Please help

Gold Member

Post Number: 1068
Check and see if it's on SAP, if so set to stereo.

asdfadf
Unregistered guest
Hey, Im also now having this problem with my VCR..I get the video but no sound...however if I turn the volume all the way up on my TV I can just barely hear the people talking....any help??

Gold Member

Post Number: 1483
No audio is a lot bigger problem than no picture, which is usually just cleaning, scrap it.

Ms.needhelp
Unregistered guest
Hey, my Vcr is doing the same thing, and has done it before, but I have no clue what i did to get it to work again that time. Did you guys solve the problem yet? help please!!!

Unregistered User
Unregistered guest
Hello, I am also having this same problem on my Panasonic VCR. Tried many things, including SAP settings, checking audio cables input/output connections and host of other tests, but still not solved. Any help would be appreciated.

Unregistered guest
re Hitachi VCR VT-UX625A

We try to record and the read-out window says "full." The cassette is rewound and ready to go. We are not able to program the VCR--what do we need to do?
Thank you.

Unregistered guest
re Hitachi VCR VT-UX625A

We try to record and the read-out window says "full." The cassette is rewound and ready to go. We are not able to program the VCR--what do we need to do?
Thank you.

Username: Jaydobem

Post Number: 1
having similar problems... the guy i had set up to come fix my tv/vcr combo never showed... my problem is i tryed to record and it shows picture but crumy sound... the sound skips and doesn't come up right.

Username: Freddvolvo

Post Number: 1
no sound when recording using Comcast guide schedule - all is ok when recording direct - wiring is basic - 1 video coax - 2 audio - color matched on both ends

Username: Natelivliv

Alger, 14 Algérie

Post Number: 5
Do you have the red and white audio composite connections plugged into the same input as the yellow composite input? There may be multiple composite inputs on the TV, and if you have the audio and video connections plugged into different inputs, it's not going to work.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us