No video on my Sony Vizio LCD kdl40s4100, power led comes on

Username: Brantar

Post Number: 1
I got a Sony Vizio kdl40s4100 from a friend that is broken, he isn't good with electronics and said I could just have it. I have a multimeter and sauntering iron.

When I plug it in and turn it on the led for power comes on to green and makes a "clicking noise" to show it is coming on. That is all it does, I plugged in rca audio and kept changing inputs to see if i would get audio, but it appeared i wasn't getting any.

The screen is just blank when I turn it on, I cant get an OSD to pop up or anything. I have it opened up and have attached 2 pictures one of the power board and one of the mainboard. The usb on the mainboard reads at ~5v if that helps any.

be sure to put a . in there instead of DOT
http://img694.imageshack DOT us/img694/9309/mainboardg.jpg
http://img97.imageshack DOT us/img97/6448/powerboardv.jpg

Post Number: 2
bump. Can someone please help me?

Bronze Member
Username: Dtwilliamscomcastnet

Bel Air, MD USA

Post Number: 24
Brantar,

Can you post your pictures into a eCoustics message posting?

Dave

Post Number: 3
Yep, here they are even though they are 1/5th as big as the originals. I hope you can help me, I'm open to any suggestions.

Upload
Upload

Post Number: 4
When testing the cable between the power board and the lcd board (the one that connects into the screen itself). What do I need to test/replace on my powerboard?

Bronze Member

Bel Air, MD USA

Post Number: 25
Bratar,
Unless you have a schematic drawing that shows you the signal flow and the expected voltage values of components, the only thing you can do at this point is try and isolate the faulty circuit/board. You do this first by performing a very close detailed visual inspection of your components and connections on your boards. Look for signs of heat damage (brown, discolored), capacitors that are leaking or bulging (they look like little cans), check that all connectors are tight and no broken wires. With the TV OFF and unplugged from the wall, check all fuses with your Ohm Meter (resistance) - The fuses will read VERY LOW resistance (less than an ohm if not zero). If they read HIGH resistance or infinite, they are blown and that is at least part of your problem. After replacing blown fuses, a good technician will then try and determine WHY the fuses blew...
So, check all the above and post back your findings.

Dave

Bronze Member

Bel Air, MD USA

Post Number: 26
Brantar,

As a Navy trained Electronics Technician, the Navy taught us what is referred to as "The 6 Step Troubleshooting Method". Here is basically the 6 steps to follow for any troubleshooting scenario:

1. Symptom recognition. This is the action of recognizing some disorder or malfunction in electronic equipment.

2. Symptom elaboration. Obtaining a more detailed description of the trouble symptom is the purpose of this step.

3. Listing probable faulty functions. This step is applicable to equipment that contains more than one functional area or unit. From the information you have gathered, where could the trouble logically be located?

4. Localizing the faulty function. In this step you determine which of the functional units of the multiunit equipment is actually at fault.

5. Localizing trouble to the circuit. You will do extensive testing in this step to isolate the trouble to a specific circuit.

6. Failure analysis. This step is multipart. Here you determine which part is faulty, repair/replace the part, determine what caused the failure, return the equipment to its proper operating status, and record the necessary information in a recordkeeping book for other maintenance personnel in the future. While not a part of this step, the technician should reorder any parts used in repair of the faulty equipment.

Dave
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us