Sony KDF-E60A20 problem

Username: The_penguin

Post Number: 1
Hi all, new user here...

I found this forum by searching the model number and found another thread about the same TV

not wanting to bump an old thread, here's my situation:

I was given a KDF-E60A20 by a friend. He said it comes on for about 10 seconds, then turns off. He thought it might need a bulb. I removed the bulb - it needs a good cleaning.

I also removed the back access cover - I think every dust bunny in Texas has been in there and had a litter of baby dust bunnies!

So - is it safe to start removing components and vacuuming them and also cleaning with an liquid electronic parts cleaner like CRC QD Electronic Contact Cleaner?

what can I use to clean the bulb reflector since it is coated with dust also?

thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1882
Be careful with 'spray on air'.
It isn't
Try spraying a clear glass with it and look at the residue.
Contact cleaners are worse.

Your local REAL camera store may be able to help with the optics and with REAL canned air. They'll also have brushes with air bulbs attached. I used them years ago to clean dust off my camera and lens. Get some lens tissue while you're there.

You Do Not want to touch anything without wearing some kind of hand protection. Either thin vinyl or latex. Some solvents attack the latex and will melt them.

If the mirror is exposed and what is known as 'front coated', it is with a soft metal. You'll scratch it with almost anything you will have access to. Perhaps lens tissue would be OK.

It MIGHT be the fan is simply clogged. Once you get it cleared out..and you may be able to get in there with a tiny vac attachment or a specialized vacuum cleaner, it may run and start. At that point you should get a 'puff' of dust out the exhaust. It may be somewhat self cleaning....but only somewhat.

Please post back with some.....any results.....

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1883
On 2nd thought,
Don't spray anything inside which may raise dust without a vacuum in the other hand....sucking as much of the air as possible.

Also, and this would be my best suggestion, go to a pro and ask how much for a thorough cleaning.

Username: The_penguin

Post Number: 2
I'm going to get after it with a shop vac and toothbrushes on Friday when I have some time. I already vacuumed out some of the larger stuff, but the TV is at my girlfriend's house and all she has is a crappy vacuum cleaner.

will post back - hopefully with good news.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1890
Leave it unplugged until you get done cleaning it.
You don't want to 'ZAP' yourself. Not only is it painful, but can render you room temperature.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us