SXRD class action

Gold Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 1617
Is this still on? My SXRD is still good after about 10,000 hours; well into its second lamp.
I'd hate to get screwed because my set was 'the last man standing'.

I called Sony today and told 'em I was having problems. In all fairness, it may have been an awful channel. Live news looks pretty good and the HD is really good.

Anyone have any current info? I had gone to the class-action website, but still need to register. I don't even know if I can register before I have the 'really big problem'.
I also called a repair shop and was told about 1700$ for an optical block.....but that I should go to a Sony authorized repair guy.

Silver Member
Username: Ovadoggvo

Post Number: 320
Leo,
I don't know if your TV qualifies for Class Action Lawsuit but I have found that you can repair your set for fairly cheap buying a new engine:

http://www.discount-merchant.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=sony+engine

Also, information about sony class action suites can be found here:
http://sites.google.com/site/sonylcdrptvproblems/

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1694
Yes, my set qualifies. I found a site for a lawyer who is handling it. Than I registered.

Sony? Well, they, upon confirmation of the problem, offered me a choice of 3 sets. All flat / LCD. I was a little ahead of myself and what I was in a panic about was simply an awful print.

I think keeping the whole thing cool helps. The problem with the light engine, as I understand it, has to do with the plastic covers over the active elements. Same system was used in the LCD projection sets. Heat murders those covers.

So, with about 10,000 hours on the set, I'm good to go. Still a better picture than most out today. Fixed pixel displays, with few exceptions, simply look grainy to me. IF I had the space I'd look at projectors. Sony still makes SXRD projectors, don't they?

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1695
Just went to link.
Looks like I'm out of luck. Aug 31 was the limit of 'extended' warranty coverage provided by Sony.
However, I know I called them in September and got an answer, so they may still be working with owners of these sets.
Discount Merchant? A good drive, almost on the Mexican Border near Brown Field. Did it once already, to buy a lamp.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 1697
DM and another company both offer light engines for SXRD and many other RPTVs. Online instructions are out there, too. I can see why a tech gets hundreds of $$s for the 'fix'. Given a day or so of complete silence, I could do the repair myself....but take plenty of photos and notes in the process. I don't have the 'book'.
At least for the SONY, I see the original part.....Rev 'A' and a 2nd part listed......Rev 'B'. Both have the same part# with the different revision suffix. I wonder what the difference is? Did Sony fix the problem with the 2nd rev?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us