CATV and SAT cable rough-in installation

Username: Ruudi

Post Number: 1
Doing a complete tear-out remodel and I'm now at the rewiring phase. I want to run RG-6 in the attic for CATV and SAT (and maybe aux ant). I'll ultimately have: 1 cable modem, 1 A/V receiver, and 4 remote TVs. Once I replace the ceiling, I no longer have access to the attic.

My thought is to run the service drop to my A/V closet and terminate with a keystone in a wall plate. My cable modem and router will be installed in the A/V closet and will take half of the split from the main. The second half of the split will be used to feed my A/V receiver (also in the A/V closet) and remaining remote TVs.

I can run direct from each remote TV to individual keystones in the same wallplate as my input. What I'd wind up with is a plate with an input and 4 outputs. I can split and redirect in the closet with my patch-panel.

Does this sound practical to the experts? What considerations have I overlooked?

Last question, for this post, is will a similar patch-panel setup work for SAT TV?

Patiently waiting for guidance.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 934
Greetings Ruudi,

Cable signals and Satellite signals differ in that satellite needs a "home run" from the dish or multi-switch (depending on the amount of STB's that are to be installed).

If you are planning to have satellite, cable, and an antenna you will need to drop 4 RG6 cables from your entry point into the house to the AV closet and distribute from there.

Is this what you need to know?

Post Number: 2
Thanks for the speedy reply.

I'm mainly trying to build in future capability so I don't have to tear things open later to install something I could do easily while I have unlimited access. It's an old house and wasn't planned with anything other than hardwired telephone and electrical outlets. I've got network drops at each TV location as well as throughout the house.

The 4 RG6 home runs are broken out like? 1 CATV, 1 Aux Ant, 2 SAT? I need a bit more explanation on the layout. What sort of disconnect is used where the multiple RG6 enters the house? Is there a standard weatherproof box?

Regarding future developments, what other network considerations should I make?

Post Number: 3
I see from a few new construction sites that the cabling of choice is a bundle that carries 2xRG6 and 2xCat6 run from outside to each TV location and AV closet. Is this simply a convenient way for builders to include the minimum AV/Internet capability without specific design requirements? I assume this would serve CATV and home network only.

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 939
Preparing for everything eh? Good, that makes a lot of sense.

The satellite companies have tried many different methods for getting signal into the house, the worst being (as far as I know) four wires running from the dish into each of four receivers. I am not sure what they are doing currently but if you had the four leads already run...
Wire is relatively cheap but it is hard to imagine what could possibly come in the future. I imagine most of the new innovations to be wireless but you never know.
With all of that said, I would suggest a raceway or chase (generally a PVC pipe that connects to accessable areas through an inaccessable area) to ease your concerns regarding future installations. PVC is even cheaper than the wire and with a pull string it is easy to add wire as needed.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us