Yet another hook up question

Username: Linbo

Austin, TX US

Post Number: 1
Hi,

I moved recently and have forgotten how my tv/speakers/dvd was set up.

I have a well aged Pioneer receiver, still going strong, a new-ish Sony 32" Bravia, a Toshiba dvd player, and a set of those dinky Bose speakers.

I've got the TV, dvd, receiver, speaker setup working. Sound and Video are working fine.

The TV by itself does not get sound!

I have VCR1, VCR2, VDP, TAPE1, TAPE2, CD, PHONO for audio in/out-puts on the receiver.

The TV has Audio in, Video in, Audio out.

DVD player only has Video and Audio out.

I have tried the Audio out from TV on the VDP and VCR inputs to the receiver.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know this used to work but I had help setting it up at my old place and didn't do the packing and unwiring.

Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 180
Reading your post, I am not sure what is your problem exactly since you write I've got the TV, dvd, receiver, speaker setup working. Sound and Video are working fine. ????

Austin, TX US

Post Number: 2
My tv has eight video input "channels" meaning one channel goes to the dvd player (Video 4) , one channel goes to regular tv reception (Video 8). The other six could be used for computer, vcr, whatever.

I wired the dvd player to one of the vcr inputs on my receiver, "VCR1."

When the tv is set to the dvd video input (Video 4) and the receiver is set to VCR1 I can play a dvd, see the picture, and hear the sound through my speakers.

I have tried wiring the tv Audio outputs to VCR2, VDP, or CD Audio inputs on the receiver. I set the tv video input to regular reception (Video 8). I get picture but no sound. My receiver does not have a TV Audio input.

So I know my speakers are working. Tv has a Speaker OFF/ON setting which I have also tried in all combinations. Wiring diagrams on my tv are useless and do not address my type of receiver.

I can take a pic of the back of my receiver once my borrowed camera returns.

Thanks!

Silver Member

Post Number: 181
I am not sure what you mean by "regular reception". What exactly is the source? Is it your cable company's box? Is it an antenna located outside your house?

Austin, TX US

Post Number: 3
Does it matter what the regular reception source is?

I'm still deciding between satellite and putting up an indoor or outdoor antenna. When I am at Video 8 on the tv I get a gray fuzzy picture but no fuzzy sound. My expectation was that I would get some noise out of the speakers if I had things hooked up correctly.

I may eventually get satellite and all the rigamarole that entails. I bought an indoor antenna and wanted to see how good the reception was. I haven't hooked up the antenna to the tv yet.

Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 182
If you really have the TV's audio output - and not an input - connected to your receiver, which I don't know since I do not know your TV, then perhaps due to the poor reception your TV doesn't think it is getting a good enough signal on Video8 so it isn't bother doing anything with it.

When you connect an antenna to the TV, it should be going to a F connector that looks like this (http://www.wikihow.com/Image:Fconnector_962.jpg). The TV's tuner decodes the signal and *should* send the audio portion out its audio outputs. Don't know what your TV is and whether there is a special setting to cause this to happen. On my HDTV, it happens automatically.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us