HDMI vs. Component

Username: Typhoon859

Post Number: 1
I know this has been asked probably a thousand times but it is the point of a thread no?... to get your questions answered rather than searching for what you need through a 5 page article.

Since it may be different from different devices, I will ask more specifically, to my 32" HDTV from my HD Cable box, would HDMI transmit better video quality than Component cables or it actually doesn't make a difference? And uh, how about for the PS3? Same answer?

-Thanks in advance

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3965
In most cases HDMI will look better than component but not always. It depends on equipment and how the different inputs/outputs are implemented.

Username: Typhoon859

Post Number: 3
Well, more specifically, from the HD Cable Box of Optimum to my Samsung 32" HDTV & from my PS3 to that same TV, what would be better?

And, in terms of audio, HDMI can only transmit PCM audio right? It can't transmit Dolby or DTS audio right?

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3966
HDMI can support all audio formats. For the PS3 HDMI would almost certainly be better. The cable box depends on the box and TV.

Platinum Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 12165
most of what I've seen, component supports up to 1080i, while HDMI can do 1080p

I'd use HDMI myself.
also, if you want to avoid the raep of spending $60+ for a cable, look at newegg or similar sites and get the same cables for about $6

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2424
­
In the interest of clarification, component is perfectly capable of carrying a 1080p video signal. The problem is that there's no HDCP copy protection protocol with component, so therefore the cigar smokin', fast talkin' Hollywood fatcats won't permit any playback format to output 1080p via component.

So for that reason, HDMI is the way to go.
­

Username: Jjenson

Lutz, FL United States

Post Number: 1
I would use HDMI , but it wouldnt hurt for you to try both and see which looks best to you.

HDMI vs Component

Silver Member
Username: Jrbay

Livonia [Detroit area], Michigan USA

Post Number: 935
Just to muddy the waters I would add that an "HD" cable box is not capable of 1080p either!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us