Need info on old Star Choice dish

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 9036
I got yesturday a SC dish which I found in garbage, this dish is made with molded plastic and is mount with a dual LNBs moulded in same centre point with a switch and mounting bracket.

I want know all spec for this dish?: Linear or circular? and operating frequency?

Thanks for your help

Username: Lk_lives

Post Number: 1
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Bazuka2020

Post Number: 615
You saved the landfill thanks - keep it in ur garage

Silver Member

Post Number: 616
It has linear LNB good for 121 dish need circular

Silver Member
Username: Picanha

East LA

Post Number: 413
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Joeturn

Post Number: 300
Why do you wish to know such ,if its damaged goods the specs wont amount to a hill of beans!
A dish is a dish is a dish!

Just hook it up if it works be happy all DBS works best on horrizontal!!

True FTA is a different story the BUDs did not swirl as do the H-H mortors so in this case linear is important as vertical is still a requirement.

Now what is your intented use?

If you type the model number into your search box will most likely give you some technobable though, or you can read the post below this one for usless drivel<I;-)

Silver Member

Post Number: 617
CP from hash

I have modified a 36" X 26" starchoice dish several ways for use in fta. I tried many ways, from
complex to easy. I shall list a few of the best and easiest ways. The complex modification were
just that complex . They did not work any better, they were just harder to make.
The first modification I shall list is by cutting 2 and ½ inches off the lnb support arm. You then add
a DN Y yoke by placing the yoke on the arm and drilling the arm for a 1/8 X 1& ½ inch bolt . With
this simple modification you can view satellites 10 degrees apart, such as satellites 110W and
119W or 91W and 82W.With this type of dish you can use 2 DN/Bev dual legacy lnbs, 1 DP
twin/quad or legacy twin/quad.
Here is arm with a Y yoke Here is the dish with a DP twin lnb
For the next examples I have just taken the modifications done on the ZZZspark direcpc dish,
Rsriverrat primestar dish and Ntrang DTV dish ,then applied what they did to their dishes to
convert the elliptical starchoice dish into a multipliable lnb dish. This was done by adding EMT to
the dish to mount the lnbs on. In all examples it was a simple matter of curving the EMT to match
the curve of the dish. This done with a pipe bender or if you don't have a pipe bender you can use
body weight to do this by placing the EMT between two benches, sawhorses or anything else
about 26 inches apart and slowly pressing on it. You keep moving the EMT a few inches each
time to keep from kinking the EMT. Once you have bent the EMT to match the curve of the dish
cut off a piece 22 inches long. You then drill a 5/16 inch hole through the Y yoke and EMT for a ¼
bolt and nut. You drill the Y yoke a ½ inch from the end where the lnbs go. You then use silicone
to keep the EMT from moving and bolt it to the Y yoke. You then can use EMT hangers to mount
the extra lnbs. If you don't have EMT hangers you can make your own by using ½ inch pipe
straps and ¼ X 2 1/2 " carriage bolts. You can use all types of DN/Bev lnbs with dish modification.
TheThe next modification is almost the same except I used DTV dss lnbs .You do not need to cut any
length off the arm and you slide the lnb directly into the arm. You drill a 5/16 inch hole in the arm to
secure the lnb to the support arm with a 1 and ¼ inch bolt. You then take a 22 inch curved piece
of EMT and add silicone, then secure it to the arm by drilling a hole 1 and ¼ inch from the end of
the arm and secure it using a ¼ X 1and 3/4 inch bolt. You then can use the EMT pipe hangers or
homemade lnb holders to mount more lnbs. You can mount lnbs from 82W to 129W with this of
set up. I tested this out and it works for lnbs in between but I only view 91W, 105W, 110W and
119W.
The next one I will list is one using Ntrang's dish lnb holder. It is made with a ¼ inch piece of
aluminum plate. Start by cutting a piece of plate 4 and ½ inches long by 2 inches wide.
Secure the emt using 2 half inch pipe straps bent around the EMT and secured with ¼ inch bolts.
Bend a piece of flat bar to secure everything to the arm with 1 X ¼ inch bolts. You must cut off 2
inches from the support arm for the lnbs to line up with the focal point.
Here is the last one. Very simple to do .Buy the multipliable lnb holder and then
drill a 5/16" hole to hold the mount and use ¼ by 1& ½ inch bolt to hold in place.
Fine tune your lnb's and lock in place. This completes my dish mods (at least the
ones worth doing). I hope this helps someone.

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 420
Plymouth put it in your blue recycling container. It is plastic after all.

A new and better dish is certainly available at Electromike or Maddison for cheaper than starting a home made project !

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 9038
Thanks all for your answers

I founded it, yes BAZUKA it is a Linear LNB good for true FTA, but I have a Linear LNB on my actual dish for this, I want put a circular LNB for 118.8-119 on it but i will need to made a new bracket.

I can try this one before for get Atlantic Bird 3 5.0W

Silver Member

Post Number: 301
I can try this one before for get Atlantic Bird 3 5.0W

Then your sh!t out of luck my calculation is that you will have to elevate it about 50 miles above your current elevation to be within its line of sight!

Click this link then select atlantic bird 3, then view earth from satellite! If you can not see your house in this photo then you wont be able to see that sat...

http://www.fourmilab.ch/earthview/satellite.html

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 9039
joeturn

LOL
I get Telstar 12 15.0W from my position with my motorized dish, but my dish can't turn enought for get Atlantic Bird 3 5.0W

You need to learn again my friend.

Username: Dewaltsucks

Post Number: 10
bazuka do u have picks???

Silver Member

Post Number: 307
Ahh !!Now maybe you have taught me something!!
I was thinking the curviture of the earth created a blind spot between you and that sat!?!? hmmmmmmmmmm

UPDATE after more careful analisys I have deteched I only needed to pan out to see the true foot print of Atlantic 3 and bygolly your right my mistake!!

My FIRST mistake ever
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us