Would an HD cable box do me any good?

Username: Orange44

Post Number: 2
In my Home theater, I have a Sanyo projector which is 544p and I have had it almost six years. I'm thinking of upgrading, but if I didn't, would I see a better picture by switching to a HD cable box. I don't know a lot about the HD boxes, but would anything be different with the regular channels and would I be able to watch the HD channels on my 544p projector.

Username: Orange44

Post Number: 3
I neglected to mention, that I currently run my projector off a Scientic Atlantic Explorer 3000 Digital Cable Box, if that matters.

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2429
­
Glenn, you need at least 720p resolution for an HD box to work properly. If you got the HD box, the non-HD channels would look the same as on your present box and the HD channels would not work at all.

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York Citay in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3932
I think John meant yo need at least 720p TV to watch HD channels
Yor Scientific Atlanta can upscale or downscale

If yor TV is less than 720p
Then yo can only watch in standard definition no really HD

Yor projector is less than 720p
Therefore frame size will be too big to watch on the projector
Yo won't get a display for HD broadcast
Only SD broadcast

Bronze Member
Username: Kevinrob

Post Number: 33
I have an older Samsung HDTV (720p, bought in 2003). It is a monitor only TV, no internal tuners. I have an HD OTA antenna, but I can't get the signal because there is no tuner. I have an HD DirecTv receiver for normal programming, but there is no connection for an antenna.

My question is would one of the new converter boxes (for the DTV switch) allow me to watch OTA local channels in HD on my TV? In other words, if I connect my antenna to a DTV converter box, then connect that directly to my TV, would that allow me to watch local shows in HD?

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2431
­
...if I connect my antenna to a DTV converter box, then connect that directly to my TV, would that allow me to watch local shows in HD?

No. These cheap converter boxes are designed for people with older analog TVs. They convert the digital signal to standard definition. You could hook one up to your monitor, but all you would get is 480i.

What you need is a stand-alone true HD tuner, such as the Samsung DTB-H260F.

http://www.abt.com/product/26386.html?source=froogle&utm_source=scfroogle&utm_me dium=sc&utm_campaign=froogle
­
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us