Comcast hd coaxial to component hdtv

Username: Skoor1

Post Number: 1
I have comcast digital cable with all the channels including hd channels. The problem is, it's not an hd cable box just regular digital cable box with coaxial output. I have an hdtv, is there anyway I can convert the signal from the cable box to receive hd channels with component connection. If I'm missing any info just ask. Sorry.. I read through numerous threads for several day and could not find the answer. Please help. Thank You. All the information given is so valuable and greatly appreciated

Post Number: 2
Forgot to mention. I get sound for all the hd channels just no picture. HD plays fine with xbox360 and blueray and looks great. But then agian the connection is coaxial.

Post Number: 3
also the box is a mot. dct2244

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3944
The only way you can get HD channels without an HD box is if your TV has a QAM tuner. If it does you can get unscrambled channels only. Connect the incoming cable directly to the TV and see if it will receive the channels. You can use an antenna to get OTA locals in HD.

Post Number: 4
Still a little confused.. My tv akai 4299hd has a built in hdtv tuner is this the same as a qam tuner? Even though the cablebox has all channels unlocked, I would be able to get hd channels through basic cable line not after cable box? Also the hd channels out cablebox are like 400-500 my tv goes to channel 150 or something, would that matter? And if I can get the hd channels by just plugging in the basic cable line, would it be true hd, considering it through an coaxial and not hdmi or component..? I know it's alot of questions together but what better place to ask.Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3946
An ATSC tuner isn't the same as a QAM tuner. According to Amazon, the TV doesn't even have an ATSC tuner. Maybe they are wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. An ATSC tuner is for OTA channels, a QAM tuner is for cable channels.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us