Explanation On Signal & Quality

Silver Member
Username: Justforhahas

Post Number: 424
Explanation On Signal & Quality
Signal & Quality

Depending on the Receiver in use:

The signal level is not really a satellite signal, it is a feedback signal measuring the current to the LNB, this signal does not go up and down when you point the dish at a satellite, any satellite, or if you point the dish at a tree, ground or building, the signal level is good only if the LNB and cabling has good continuity between the Receiver and the LNB.

Modified (Tech07)

Quality IS an actual digital satellite signal level, it comes from the ONE transponder you have selected in the menu, and again it does not mean you are on the correct satellite, just that the transponder frequency you have chosen has been found and it does have MPEG2 digital packets on it.
Most FTAs now have a popup banner that will come up telling you what satellite you are on, this popup banner is from information contained in the digital packets, so no Quality = no banner will come up.

So once you have a high S or L signal, but still no Quality, you may be on the wrong sat, or the transponder freqency your on is not active.
There are up to 32 transponders on each sat, each has its different channels so you need all you can get to get all the channels, 12224 v is a popular TP1 on many DN sats.
TP 12224 is also a spotbeam on echo 7 (119), that means that TP 12224 shows no signal for most of us.
For setting a dish on echo 7 use TP 12239.

Gold Member
Username: Plymouth

Canada

Post Number: 4345

Gold Member
Username: Tapeman

New York City in-HD, NY

Post Number: 3598
In much simpler terminology

S= LNB power (LNB voltage connection to receiver)
Q= Amplified level on a TP freq

Low Q means low amplified level, bad reception
High Q is good signal level, good reception

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 12119
Christon is a seasoned poster at ftatalk.com. See this URL
post dated the 4th October 2007

[link removed]

Signal & Quality

Depending on the Receiver in use:

The signal level is not really a satellite signal, it is a feedback signal measuring the current to the LNB, this signal does not go up and down when you point the dish at a satellite, any satellite, or if you point the dish at a tree, ground or building, the signal level is good only if the LNB and cabling has good continuity between the Receiver and the LNB.

Modified (Tech07)

Quality IS an actual digital satellite signal level, it comes from the ONE transponder you have selected in the menu, and again it does not mean you are on the correct satellite, just that the transponder frequency you have chosen has been found and it does have MPEG2 digital packets on it.
Most FTAs now have a popup banner that will come up telling you what satellite you are on, this popup banner is from information contained in the digital packets, so no Quality = no banner will come up.

So once you have a high S or L signal, but still no Quality, you may be on the wrong sat, or the transponder freqency your on is not active.
There are up to 32 transponders on each sat, each has its different channels so you need all you can get to get all the channels, 12224 v is a popular TP1 on many DN sats.

Silver Member
Username: Jjgee

Palatine, IL USA

Post Number: 177
Repeat post, good one nalin. Your reports are late again. Something going on in the mother land?

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 210
Nonsense. Absolute nonsense.

Signal is any given transponder's signal to noise ratio. The higher the better. Does not mean that you can see something on the screen. It only says that a signal is present and is loud or weak.

Quality is inverse of error rate. Of course, the higher the signal the smallest is the error rate in decoding the digital stream. But !!!! On a transponder, you could have a small signal level and yet high quality. Specially if you have a high end LNB with low noise figure. The signal might be weak but free of noise and thus of high quality.

And by the way, signal and quality is measured on each transponder individualy. That is if a satellite has 6342 transponders, you will get 6342 different readings !

Signal and Quality are displayed on the screen by the unit's microprocessor solely by reading the digital decoder integrated IC information. This chip gives the info. Has nothing to do with measuring the LNB current !!!!!

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 4427
The Outer Limits
You are totally right

Example : on Viewsat,if you create a new satellite and any Tp freq is assigned the signal is totaly down, after a blind scan on a satellite, you return sat menu and the signal is up because a Tp is there.
For the quality with my motor, i can get a low signal with high quality, and misaligment of the dish on strong satellite can give strong signal and bad quality.
A good exemple is if a three is btw dish and satellite the signal will be strong and quality poor.

Good post Bernardmi

Silver Member
Username: Lomna

Post Number: 338
justforhaha's I wanted to know this for a long time,never got satisfied with answers. First of all ONE tp has just one channels or many??? I'm in the u.s.a getting signal from (82)even tps only I,m using 18" dish.Not all international are only even tps. For example ATN 702.But Since yesterday it looks like bev moved it to even tp. which is good for me. There is no guarantee that it will remains on tp #2. My question is what can I do get signal from all other tps as well or some thing else I can do ???

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 4428
Devin read my post on it

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/519073.html

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-video/519112.html

Silver Member
Username: Bernardmi

Post Number: 211
Plymouth I have a 4 feet antenna on Hispasat. Good but marginal.

I have most TP's at low signal (most display 55, some display 30). On some channels, I have 18 to 20 Signal but 55 to 60 quality !!!

In my case, it is the large size of antenna that does the job of pulling the signals in. However very weak they are, they are solid in quality !

Gold Member

Canada

Post Number: 4430
The Outer Limits
Exactly
Bigger is the dish better the Quality is, because it get less interference from other satellite.
The small dish get the satellite signal with 0.5 degree width and more for special lnb 118.7/119, 6' dish can have only 0.1 degree width, this is why the Quality is better.

Where are you located for get Hispasat with a 4 feet?
In Ku or C-Band?
I'm not able to get it.

Platinum Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 12121
Jjgee: I did the C/P to show people like you that Justforhaha's post was a C/P from a year old post.

Please do not bring my mother and relatives, ethnic origin, religion into posts when you want to post a response to me or to anybody.

Silver Member
Username: Picanha

East LA

Post Number: 104
So What Nalin.......A C/P can contain useful information.....Go suck on some Monkey BallsUpload

Silver Member
Username: Pulpfiktion

Post Number: 356
Esvaldo Chevez

A C/P (cut penNis) in yr opinion contain useful information - go suck justforhaha's.

ENJOY !!!

Gold Member
Username: Gregraf

Post Number: 1300
Pest control you remind me of your sister.

Upload

Silver Member
Username: Picanha

East LA

Post Number: 106
Upload

Silver Member
Username: Pulpfiktion

Post Number: 359
The pic above is Esvaldo Chevez sucking justforhaha's p***s.

I TOLD YOU - HE ENJOY IT.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us