Fortec converted (flash/cable RS232 problem)

Silver Member
Username: Donyahelwa

Post Number: 195
I have had no problems in the last two years flashing my fortec ultra (I have 3 of them). Even after I converted it to pansat 2700, Lately. We have been watching TV when ever a new bin is available.

I started getting problems when my old Dell laptop stopped working, this is the one I used to flash my receivers with.

The problem is the flash fails (ER1 writing failed!)

For the last week I have tried all the methods to flash my receiver using more than 3 computers, nothing worked.

I have:

1. fortec ultra (3 years old). The last bin I used is the one before (Jvvh_251) I forgot it the name.
2. cable RS232 straight F-F. one cable is old and one brand new.
3. I had win XP on the old laptop. And Win XP with other PC's.
4. I have tried 4 more computers with the same methods to flash the receiver (none of them worked)
5. I have tried all available STB updaters out there. So I don't think it is a bin or a software issue!
6. I DO think it is a communication issue between my PC's and the 3 receivers.

I have couple questions for those who had the same problem before.

1. Do I need to get a null cable to flash (fortec ultra).. The one I always used is a straight F-F. I also bought a new one and still it didn't work. ( I believe I always used the right cable, but I still want to make sure!!)
2. Are there certain settings for my com ports than I should be following to flash?
3. Do I need to get a gender change to eliminate any possibility of using null vs. straight RS232?

Any suggestion would be appreciated.. Although I would like to get the opinion from the ones who experienced such a problem like the one I have..

Bronze Member
Username: Popol_vuh

Post Number: 28
1- if it worked before there is no logical reason you should have to replace it with a null cable.
2- If your tried flashing with 4 different computers it is doubtful the problem is with the com port setting, especially since it does transfer the data to the stb. The burn part is what fails.
3- in light of q 1 and 2, your q 3 is irrelevant.

If anything the first suggestion I would give is to use the exact same cable you had success with and use a known good computer that works fine doing the same stuff on another receiver and use the Bl loader. In any case the older the OS the better (don't ask me what I think of Vista!). In any case if the software is transferred suscessfully there should be no reason if it doesn't burn that the problem is indeed the transfer.

If that didn't work I would try to reload the boot bin first to see whether that helps, if it succeeds you can then reload a standard bin. If it fails then, well it's definiteley a hardware problem, that your eeprom/flash is on its way out and you may need to get a new receiver.

HTH.

Silver Member
Username: Donyahelwa

Post Number: 196
I didn't say the burn part fails. BL updater doesn't send info to the receivers. I say receivers I have 3 of them. All are working but need new bins. BL updated tries to send but it fails withing 20 seconds. It recognizes that it is connected to a receiver but it fails to finish the job. It doesn't get to (burning point). Thus I don't think there is a hardware problem!! I'm trying 3 receivers all work with old bin and worked just fine with the $hity old Dell.

The problem is the old computer is the only computer I have had a sucess flashing receivers with.

I have raised several questions knowing some of them are irrelevant. But this was to get more opinions from more people.

Thank you, but it seems you've never experienced this problem before. So you are lacking the understanding of my issue. But there is a point about the old OS. I will look for that. Thanks again.

Any more suggestion people??

Username: Lochness90

Post Number: 4
In your Device manager, check your com port to see if the flow control is set to none or Hardware or Xon/Xoff? Should be none. And what speed it set to?
The best way to test to see if com is working is
to use Hyperterminal connecting to your com, say com1, and short pin 2 and 3 on the DB9 connector on the PC, where pin 2 is receive and pin 3 is transmit, type something, and you should see the characters you type echo back to you. Any character you see echo back indicates com1 is working. Then you connect the cable to com1, short the other end pin 2 and 3 together, and type something again, check for the exact characters returned. If so, cable is good.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 8421
You should do a revert to 2500 using Chancy's 2700 to 2500. Load the old Boot 60 using the special loader supplied using BOOT setting. Then load the 294T BIN included in the pack.
After that try conversion again and install the latest 252 BIN.
These receivers are very tolerant of abuse. Go ahead and do it.
The revert to 2500 is a subdirectory in the full_kit_252B
http://public.box.net/2500_full_kit

Username: Trina15

Post Number: 5
Loch Ness
Im having the same problem as Donyahelwa. I think my problem is the cable wire or the port. I'm a little confused about this step
(Hyperterminal connecting to your com, say com1, and short pin 2 and 3 on the DB9 connector on the PC, where pin 2 is receive and pin 3 is transmit, type something, and you should see the characters you type echo back to you. Any character you see echo back indicates com1 is working. Then you connect the cable to com1, short the other end pin 2 and 3 together, and type something again, check for the exact characters returned. If so, cable is good.) I would like to check my port or cable but I dont understand how to do it.Thanks for your help.
Nalin nyda
I tryed to revert using the special loader but I get the same message (ER1 writing failed!) thanks for your help. If I want to use my laptop what cable should I buy?

Post Number: 7
I need more info, so I can tell you to troubleshoot.

You were uploading file and error out before 1%, correct? if so, you are using a) wrong cable b) cable is not plug in all the way c) you are setting right on your comm port.

Do you have a laptop or desktop?

Post Number: 6
I have the right cable, I have used this cable many times. cable is plugged in all the way and and I tried comm port 1 and 2. doesnt download at all (0%). I'm using a desktop cable rs232 female to female. I have a laptop but I cant use that cable.

Gold Member

Post Number: 8455
mary brown : Try using the same computer/cable/receiver with Channel Master and see if there is communication.
http://www.sharpc.com

Make sure you tell CM that you have a "Pansat 2700 or 3500"

Username: Elgallotepiza

Post Number: 1
hola

Username: Elgallotepiza

Post Number: 2
hola

Post Number: 9
To find out which comm that you are using:

Right click on Start button and select explore.
on the File explorer popup, you see "My Commputer" icon, right click on it and select properties.

I am assuming you are using XP, so there should be a "System Properties" popup. In there you see General tab, computer name tab, now select hardware tab. Then click on the device manager button. Now the Device Manager will popup.

In the device manager popup, you see folders like batteries, Computer, Disk Dives, Display adapters....now click the plus sign on your "Ports (COM & LPT)" folder.

I have a new laptop, so it doesn't come with a comm port at the back. I use a USB to Serial converter. Mine comm port label "USB Serial port (COM4)". Yours probably the same, and write down the COM number that you use, mine is COM4.

Now right click on that COMM and select properties. You'll see COMM properties popup, select Port Settings tab, make sure FLOW CONTROL set to:

Bit per second: 115200
8 data bits, None parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control.

Check this setting first and I'll show you how to test it with Hyperterminal.

Post Number: 7
I'm using a 5 year old desktop with xp.
Bit per second was 9600 changed to 115200 I dont know if its going to make a difference, but it doent hurt to try. I also have a new laptop it doesnt have a comm port but if this doesnt work I will buy a USB to Serial converter and try that. Show me how to test with Hyperterminal. Thanks
Nalin Nyda
I never downloaded channel master before but I will try as soon as I have time. Thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 8488
The main thing for an experienced person like you to remember when using the CM is the fact that the software recognises the port connection as straight RS232, but requires that you put in "Pansat 2700 or 3500" as the STB type.
Unlike loading BINs, CM requires that the receiver be in full "ON" state for it to work, but as I said you could try and see if CM recognises the connection and can communicate.

Post Number: 8
Nalin

I tried the channel master and this is the message I get.
"process completed with errors:
error communicate

Gold Member

Post Number: 8528
Most likely it is the data pin - either on the computer, cable or receiver. Make sure there are no bent pins on the computer or receiver.
Using a USB to serial under XP is a bit tricky - but if you are buying make sure you get one with installation CD (Radio Shack) and drivers and then do a manual install (Don't allow XP plug-and-play). check that you have COM 1, 2 3 or 4 set for this new device (use device Manager). Remember that you are still going to need the cable after using the USB to Serial converter. A bent pin at receiver end would still cause problems.

Post Number: 9
I thought about the bent pin, all pins are straight. Tomorrow I'm going to buy another RS232 cable to try. This thing is driving me crazy I'm usually able to fix problems. Thanks Nalin
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us