Getting "Copyrighted material" message

Username: George_ball

Post Number: 1
I had an RCA DVD recorder #DRC8060N for about 6 mo., successfully recording off Direct TV then a few months ago when I pressed record I got a box on screen saying unable to record copyrighted material. We called Tech Support, ended up sending it for repair, it came back with the same condition. I've recently experimented and found that I can record from an antenna perfectly so it must be Direct TV sending a blocking signal. Am I the only person with this problem? I've checked your archives and found no mention of it. What am I dealing with here?

Username: Brey

Post Number: 1
Hi George Ball,
I have had a similar problem to what you encountered last year and was wondering if you were able to find an answer anywhere else since there were no replies here. Thanks for any help you can provide!
Brey

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 58
The station is encrypting its signal. Look up "copy once", "copy freely" and "copy never" protection.

Post Number: 2
Don't you mean Direct TV is encrypting it's signal? I can record perfectly well using the antenna. Why would they do that? They don't want people to be able to record their programs? Or are they so diabolically clever that they're only blocking RCA's with "Commercial Advance?" Anyway, how do I get around this? Brey too.

Bronze Member
Username: Levelzero

Post Number: 59
Not sure how to get around it other than using some type of filter. From a google search I found where someone claimed they were successful using some type of filter between the receiver and recorder. I also read where someone held down their "dub" button on the recorder and they were able to record the show. Some say that you can insert a cd with a hack on it, but nothing is guaranteed which is the reason for the copy protections. A good search on "macrovision" will be a good place to start for more info.

Oh yeah, and I believe it is the service provider that physically flags the broadcasts which I think is agreed beforehand between provider, network and producer et al. Good catch.

Gold Member
Username: Samijubal

Post Number: 3919
You need a digital video stabilizer or a time base corrector would probably work too.

Post Number: 3
OK, so let me get this straight, everyone who has a DVR cannot record off cable or satellite? What's the deal guys? Is this true? Why aren't people in the streets? David, when I originally wrote this I suspected this was the case because they wanted us to use their recording services and thought that the units that allowed copying DVD's would unencrypt the broadcasts. Are those what you are referring to? Where can I get one? Also, I have to ask, what good is a DVR without this technology incorporated?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3920
Do a search for digital video stabilizer and you'll see what they are. Last I knew MCM Electronics sold them for a little over $20+shipping. I can't say for sure wheather the cheapies like that will work or not. There's more expensive ones like the Dimax Grex too. Most channels don't use copy protection, it's mostly the premium movie channels and a few others. Older recorders will record copy protected channels but there probably isn't too many of them left these days as standalone recorders don't last very long.

Post Number: 4
David, let me tell you, all my channels on Direct, and all the programs are blocked. Do you think that the Grex will work?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3921
I wonder if it's your recorder. I've never seen anyone say Direct TV copy protects all their programming. Recorders can sometimes falsely think programs are encrypted when they aren't.

Post Number: 5
That's what I thought. That's why I sent it back. They said it's OK. The thing is man, why doesn't it screw up when I'm recording off the antenna? Brey, do you have the same make and model as mine? I just got an analog pass-through box for for off air digital transmission. Would it hurt anything if I passed the satellite through that before the DVD recorder?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3922
I'd try just buying another recorder from some place like Walmart where you can easily take it back if it doesn't work. My sister had problems recording from a DN satellite with a Samsung recorder, it would say material copy protected, she bought a different recorder and hasn't had any problems since.

Are you using the line inputs? You should be using the s-video or RCA connections, preferably s-video. I'm sure if Direct TV were copy protecting all their programming I would have read something about it. The CP comes from the network, not the provider.

Post Number: 6
OK David, here's the thing, I don't want just any DVD recorder. The reason I bought this recorder is that it SKIPS COMMERCIALS, and does a great job of it, so it's worth my while to try and get it back in order. Also, it works perfectly well and I get great recordings now off the air, with no commercials! It's unbelievable, just skips them. Whatever you've heard, my evidence seems to, at this point, refute it, but I'm going to refine my inputs as you suggest and report back.

Bronze Member
Username: Ella

Post Number: 10
Hi,
As far as I know cable companies have started to implement and use Macrovision protection on analog outputs of their Cable boxes and DVR's. I personally use Grex to remove it. I think your problem is the same. Take a look here http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html
In my case I use this gudget with Panasonic recorder that has started to show "Copyright" message on my favorite live channels about a year ago.

Post Number: 7
Thank you Ella. That's the affirmation I was looking for. Is there a particular model, or only one?

Bronze Member
Username: Ella

Post Number: 12
No special model required as far as I know. Just click the link and order. BTW I also used a nice diagram explainig the right connection : http://www.xdimax.com/grex_faq/faq_howto.html#stbdvd
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us