need comments

Silver Member
Username: Madflea168

Post Number: 136
yes.

Silver Member
Username: Madflea168

Post Number: 137
btw, and you will need antenna at least 30 inches.

Silver Member
Username: Lroy

Post Number: 357
This is the LNB for the new 118°W (Anik F3 / 118.7° / 118.8°) satellite. With this special LNB, you can get BOTH 118 and 119 at the same time!

Works with both Free-to-Air and Original DN Receivers!
Requires: 30-inch or larger dish
Compatible with DirecTV, Free-to-Air (DiSEqC, 22KHz), and legacy switches (SW21, SW44, etc)
Not compatible with DishPro switches and/or DishPro (stacked) LNB's
SPECS
Polarization: Circular
Input Frequency: 11.70 - 12.75 GHz
LO Frequency: 10.750 GHz
Noise: 0.3 dB

Silver Member
Username: One_eye_jack

Post Number: 270
GUS
A Linear LNB will not do the job.

lroy tipit aboveb has the right info. for you.

Username: Adam2436

Post Number: 5
However, a linear (standard or universal) LNB can be easily modified to receive circular signal from Anik F3. I've done this successfully a few times, by just inserting a piece of dielectric plate into the central hole. Teflon is the best, but PMMA (plexiglass) also works fine. See: h**p://forums.f2atv.c*m/showthread.php?t=171702 and h**p://lea.hamradio.si/~s57uuu/emeconf/eme06.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Rexandpansat

Post Number: 58
Thanks Darth. I heard about this, but sounded too good to be true. But you have proved this yourself. Does this technique change the frequency or polarization only ? But still this will be very helpful to many. The frequency of 121W was 11.7 GHz to 12 GHz and it was Linear.
Anik F3 has the same frequency range but Circular.

Post Number: 7
Read the second link in my first post, basically it works by shifting wave of one polarity by phase of 90 degree - thus change the circular polarity to linear polarity. No change on frequency.

Actually I was thinking more ambitiously: Simple modification on SuperDish-121 LNB assembly to receive 110-119-118 with no extra hardware cost. What I propose is: unscrew the 119-121 combo and rotate it around view line axis by 180 degree; stick a plexiglass plate into 121 tube (now at the location of 119). Now there is no problem for LNB121 to get 118 signal. The question is will the LNB-119 (now at location of 121) still be able to pick up signal from 119? It very likely could, although not optimal, since 119 has much stronger signal. But I need yet to put the idea into test before making such statement. I may try it when I have some free time and weather permits. Hopefully a few brave souls here can try it and report back much sooner.

Gold Member
Username: Nydas

Post Number: 7651
On its own a linear LNB will give a 3 DB signal drop - this could be annoying enough.

"a linear (standard or universal) LNB can be easily modified" Darth Vader 's suggestions are for the technically minded.

With a spurt of activity in this area (118.7), there are 2-3 LNBs Universal LNBs out in the market for $20-25.

lroy tipit gave the right direction. The other alternative is to buy the DN repointing kit (sold by DN) if you already have a dish pointing to 121W. It is a bit expensive though.

Post Number: 8
Yes, you can always buy things but that is not fun for a real hobbyist.

The point is, beside of cost, there are other considerations:
A. Physical limits (different size of LNB bracket, limited space);
B. Reuse of the LNB and dish;
C. No need for dish install or re-alignment;
D. No change on existing switch and STB settings (some walked through many troubles to get their switch/configuration work) -- no system debug;
E. Saving the earth (where do you put your old LNB/Dish?)

On the 3dB signal drop: You wasted 50% signal strength (3dB) by using linear LNB to catch Circular signal. Insertion of the dielectric plate, if perfect, by delaying the phase of one of the two components of the polarity 90 degrees, gets the perfect phase match for both components of the polarity, thus, enables full use of signal strength.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us