Can I use my old tivo with cable?? Chick needs help!!

Username: Leighannwawa

Louisville, Ky Usa

Post Number: 1
Hey guys....after hours of searching on the net I thought I would turn to you guys to see if anyone can help me!! I am a chick trying to do this on my own, and while I know basic info about hookups and splitting lines ect.., I am by no means a pro so - if you could "dummy it down" for this dummy I would really appreciate it!!!

2 questions
1.) I recently switched from Direct TV after 5 years to our good old insight cable which was offering a deal I couldn't refuse ...I was sucked in! Im sure you've heard it before - I MISS MY TIVOI HATE the new DVR (dch6416 ,model motorolla) that the cable company provides.... I have an old TIVO model#DSR708 from DirTV, I have seen some sights saying you could get an ir blaster cable and connect the old dirtv tivo to the new moto DVR and it would work...am I just wasting my time? If it wouldn't work--- and I went and bought a TIVO from the TIVO people and canceled the cable dvr - would I still need a cable box??...I just want my tivo back and I am under contract with the cable people till next year...whats the best way to do this?
2.) Okay - in the bedroom - I have a cable box and it has an option where you can set up shows to record to your vcr player. (kinda like a generic dvr!) I want to be able to do this plus I have no idea how to set up all of this equiptment. I have a tv, a dvd player, a vcr, a cable box (with to tv, cable in, to rf in and a funky silver bypass box w/ rf out, in and conv in PLUS audio video outlets and a couple of other odd plug in places.. )an amplifier with speakers AND a four component switching center to hook all these puppies into each other....but I have no idea where to start especially since I need to hook my vcr up a certain way (im assuming) to get the cable box to record shows to it....If anyone can help me I will love you forever and ever because I am at my witts end right now with this stuff! Thanks for any help - Love, Single girl trying to do it all!!! Hope to hear from you soon!!!!

Bronze Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 24
Looks like you will need to buy a brand new Tivo.

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/archive/index.php/t-307178.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us