Problem setting up DVD/VCR Toshiba D-VR600KU

Username: Cree8now

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 1
I just bought this DVD/VCR combo. I hooked it up to the cable box. There's no place for the cable plug to go into the DVD/VCR player so I've put it into the cable box. It seems to be working since the TV image is just fine.

When I use the remote control, I'm able to switch the Input from L1 to L2 or DV but nothing else seems to function. When I select SET UP, the clock keeps flashing, and I'm unable to set up anything.

The 30-day warranty is about to run out on this so if you can help soon, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Jill Gurr
CREATE NOW
Phone: (213) 484-8500
Email: jill@createnow.org
Web: www.createnow.org

CHANGING TROUBLED KIDS'S LIVES THROUGH THE ARTS

Gold Member
Username: John_s

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2395
­
Jill, do you see the setup menu on your TV screen? If not, you don't have it hooked up properly.

Also, we need a TV model number, or at least a detailed description including any inputs it has.

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 2
Hi John:

I don't see any set up menu on the TV screen, but I AM seeing the TV programs, so it appears that the cable box is hooked up to the TV, but the DVD/VCR isn't. The TV is a 27" RCA, but I can't find a model # on it.

The cable goes from the back of the TV -- the Ant/Cable IN plug into the cable box plug that says TV/VCR.

The source cable goes from the ground to the cable box plug that says Cable In. I've tried changing these two cables around but then I get no picture. With this connection, I get a good picture and it seems to be working.

There is no cable plug on the Toshiba DVD/VCR recorder, which I found surprising. On my older DVD recorder that just broke, I was able to plug the cable directly into the DVD recorder, so I wonder if that could be the problem.

Then I have the RCA plugs (red, yellow, white) going from the cable box Audio/Video OUT to the Toshiba DVD/VCR recorder Audio/Video IN (matching the colors to each plug).

I hope this makes sense. It seems like it should be working but there's no way for me to see the menu or Set Up on the TV, which makes me think that it may be defective, since I bought it refurbished on eBay.

Thanks for your help!

Jill

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2396
"There is no cable plug on the Toshiba DVD/VCR recorder, which I found surprising."

Jill, the central issue here is that this recorder does not have a tuner.1 With no tuner, there is no need for a cable/antenna terminal. The only way it can record form an external source is via line in. You have already completed one-half of the required connection:

"Then I have the RCA plugs (red, yellow, white) going from the cable box Audio/Video OUT to the Toshiba DVD/VCR recorder Audio/Video IN (matching the colors to each plug)."

You also need to hookup the line outputs into the TV. You should look at the back of your TV for the same type of jacks that are on the recorder. Once that's done, then you simply switch to that input on the TV whenever you want to play a DVD or tape. You will also be able to see the on-screen menus coming in from the recorder.

However, if you do not have any line inputs on the TV, your situation will become a little more complicated (but not impossible). What you will need is a device called an RF modulator, which you can read about here. These modulators can be found at most big-box hardware, electronics, and other specialty stores. And of course, online:

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-DVD-647-DVD647-RF-Modulator/dp/B00005T3FO

What will happen is that the signal will becoming out of the cable box into the recorder (on the lines you have already hooked up), then out from the recorder into the modulator which converts the signal into either channel 3 or 4, and then into the TV via cable into the TV's antenna terminal. This means that when you are just watching TV, the recorder would have to be turned on in order for you to see and hear the signal. Also, these modulators require power, so its power supply must be plugged in somewhere.

I hope I made myself clear. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

1 The government made it unlawful to sell any video device past a certain date that didn't have a built-in digital tuner. The loophole was that "monitor", or tunerless TVs and related devices could be made and sold.

Los Angeles, CA

Post Number: 3
I do have line inputs on the TV. But I'm so confused about where to plug everything. I have put the red/yellow/white plugs from the TV audio/video into the DVD/VCR output. (I hope this makes sense: DVD/VCR output into TV input -- and as mentioned above, the DVD/VCR in goes to the cable box OUT. But even though I switch to L1, L2 and DVD, I get nothing on the screen when I press setup (or anything else).

This is incredibly frustrating and time-consuming. I even ran out and bought an A/B switch in case that would help but I don't know what I'm doing wrong. If I had a DVD/VCR combo that had a built in tuner, then would this problem disappear or is there a way to fix it?

Thanks again for all your help!

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2400
­
"...or is there a way to fix it?"

I've already told you how to fix it:

"You should look at the back of your TV for the same type of jacks that are on the recorder. Once that's done, then you simply switch to that input on the TV whenever you want to play a DVD or tape."

Your only problem now is that you're not making the TV switch to its line input. Your owner's manual will tell you how to do this.

What? You don't have the manual? You're not alone. I'll bet 95% of people who have a TV 5 years or older don't have any idea what they did with the operator's instructions. The problem is that the exact procedure for input switching varies with the manufacturer. In fact, in RCA's case input selection has changed through the years. In older sets you selected a specific channel between 85 and 95. Later, a channel selection of 120 to 130 would make the TV go to its input. Then after that they got smart and added an "INPUT" button on the remote. So I can't tell you how to do this exactly. The only way for sure is if your manual is in RCA's data base. That's why I asked for your model number in the first place.

"If I had a DVD/VCR combo that had a built in tuner, then would this problem disappear....?"

The short answer is yes, but that unit wouldn't play or record any better than this one. And BTW, with a tunerless unit like this one, you are stuck with the cable box. In the future, if you dump the cable box, or cable altogether the only thing you could do is play stuff -- there'll be no way to send a signal into it to record TV shows.
­

Gold Member

Columbus, Ohio US

Post Number: 2401
­
Oh yeah, you can take that A/B swich back for a refund.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us