Sanyo DS27425 Trapezoid Adjustment

Username: Clarusworks

Post Number: 1
I have a Sanyo DS27425 27" Flat CRT television set. The trapezoid adjustment (or at least that's what it's called on computer monitors) is slightly out. It's not really bad, but on machine-generated stuff, squares, etc. you can see a slight 'Star Wars Opening Text' effect, only not so pronounced. Also, there is slight ghosting to the right, most noticeable on RCA connections or S-Video.

I know how to access the service menu, but I cannot find a service manual or much of anything about this set online, and don't know what any of the adjustments are, they're all in some sort of code. I would appreciate knowing which of these adjustments needs to be tweaked, or anything else to try, or just a list of the adjustments for this set in general.

Anonymous

the manual is here:

http://sanyoservice.com/pdf/images/DS27425_0201A-.pdf

Username: Mrivney

Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Hi,
Question for Lincoln R: How is this TV set, the Sanyo 27425, performing? I'm considering to buy it, but I can't find any reviews on it. It's at WalMart for $198.96. Appreciate any feedback, positive and/or negative.
Regards, Mike

Username: Ashok71

Hi Lincoln and Mike,

I'm planning on buying this TV too. Any feedback would be highly appreciated.

Regards,
AV

Username: Mrivney

Las Vegas, Nevada USA

Post Number: 2
To AV,
Sorry for getting back so late. Yes, I bought it. It works good so far. If you have any particular questions, please ask.
Regards, Mike

Post Number: 3
This is actually a very good TV set for the money. The styling is a bit on the utilitarian side, but the picture quality is good, aside from some slight geometry issues that can probably be tuned out with some service adjustments.

BTW, if you're buying a Sanyo CRT set, look on the box to see where it was made. Sanyo has 2 CRT television production plants, Forrest City, AR USA, and Tijuana, Mexico. My set was built at the Forrest City plant, and as I said before, it is a good TV. In addition to the USA versus Mexico issue, the workers at the Forrest City plant are in danger of losing their jobs because of foreign competition. (Yes, I realize that Sanyo is a Japanese company, but I don't think any American companies still assemble TVs in the U.S.)

Post Number: 4
After looking at my previous post, I realize that I did more toward glorifying the American TV production industry than I did to accurately describe the Sanyo DS27425. I'm going to give some more detail:

Menus: The menu is simple enough to operate, and I like the fact that the menu is just an overlay on the image, and does not completely block the picture. There are all the standard picture quality options for SDTV sets, as well as adjustments for aspect ratio and channel programming. The menu can be set to appear in English, French, or Spanish.

Picture: The set has good color reproduction, and the screen doesn't 'flicker' as badly as cheap TVs do. Minor things such as color, tint, contrast, brightness, and sharpness can be adjusted from the user menu, while more complex adjustments must be performed from the confusing, arcane service menu best left to a TV repairman, or someone with the official Sanyo service manual for this model. To sum it up, it's no Sony Trinitron, but it's just about the next best thing in the CRT category.

Sound Quality: From the factory, this TV has MTS Stereo sound built in with a "simulated surround sound" feature that performs fairly well on DVD movies played on my Sony DVP-NS575P, but not as good as some other simulations. The speakers actually sound quite good for TV set speakers, and the volume goes up quite loud.

Inputs:
This TV has quite a few inputs for an SD set. It has the ancient F connector for coax cable (Antenna, old satellite receivers, old VCRs, etc.), 2 sets of RCA inputs (1 front, 1 back), and Component Video inputs. Note: the component inputs use the audio inputs from the rear RCA inputs, not their own dedicated ones.

All in all, for the extremely low price (I paid about $230 for this set in September 2005, they now sell for $200 in some Wal-Marts), this is a very good 27" SD television. It is a bit on the heavy side, and because of the large amount of "empty space" on the front panel, it may be difficult to fit into some entertainment centers designed for 27" TVs. I personally had to unbolt the top of my entertainment center, put the TV in, and put the top back on, because it has a wooden bar protruding about 2" from the top that just barely kept the set from fitting, but it still has adequate ventilation, and the entire screen is visible. The Bottom Line: If you don't need high definition and don't have a huge budget, but still want a good-quality set, you really can't go wrong here, and the fact that most Wal-Marts carry the sets only makes it even better, you can buy a new TV, a pack of socks, and something to cook for dinner all at the same time :-P

Lincoln R.

Username: Mule007

Hi Lincoln,

I'm having the same issue with my DS27425, the image seems slightly slanted to the right. I was wondering if you managed to correct the issue on your set and if so I'd like to get a couple pointers on how to go about correcting it. I've gone through the service manual but it doesn't seem to describe how to correct it. Any insight you can give on it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Mike
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us