What is next?

Silver Member
Username: Ajdarwin

Post Number: 215
I guess I am a little pessimistic by the viewpoint of most here. I think DN has finally gotten its act together and will shut down the Pirate TV. You will know that is the case if Viewsat is shutdown in the next week or two and is unable to get back up. Since FTA uses legal equipment, which can later be used to an illegal end, it would be much harder to prosecute an FTA enfringement. Thus shutting down the software pipeline is their answer. If no fix is available, the FTA/Pirate TV is gone. Only FTA is available then, and that is legal. My guess for a timeline is this:

a. Press for the prosecution of organized card subbing. That is for the sub business and the subber.
b. ECM the FTA Pirates once they have spent the money to switch to Viewsat making it a costly two or three weeks of tv.
c. Watch sites that post bins and try to shut them down, prosecuting the owners and trying to get a list of downloaders.
d. Actively go after any known method of Pirating, subbing, the internet fix, etc. Prosecute the end users to frighten the casual Pirate into stopping.
e. Lock up the signal much as DTV has done, moving to Mpeg 4 and upgrading all your receivers, making all (read that ALL) FTA receivers obsolete.
f. Sell out to DTV as soon as the Feds will let them.
g. Monopoly time, pay or no play. Remember its only TV.

I don't Pirate, I have tested before, but I haven't done much in years, testing the latest bin out of curiosity, it was bogus. (I was bidding on a Pansat on Ebay, the prices have been surprisingly good, and was wondering if I would have to pay a lot more for it. Turns out the mere rumor of a fix was enough to lose the auction.) Most of my testing was to know how it was done, to understand the technology. In the beginning, they just messed up the video sync signal on the broadcast signal, making the picture unwatchable. That was easily fixed by using the raster to reestablish the sync signal using parts from Radio Shack. That was fun. I didn't even like watching TV that much, just knowing how it was done was fun. Eventually the technology went from the simple to the very complex. Now, I have little hope of understanding it, and the fun is gone. Free TV (read Pirate TV) I believe is coming to an end. It will be a slow angonizing death with many twitches and spasms, like an old badly acted western. But it will die, too much money is involved. Multiply 100 thousand receivers by 100 dollars a month. That is ten million a month in lost revenue to DN. I don't wish anyone ill, but I think the present pony ride is coming to an end, and whoever doesn't get off in time is liable to get thrown. I doubt I will post much else here, because few of the people here are into FTA, just Pirate TV. Good luck with everything, and I will check in occasionally to see how things are going. I hope that when it goes down, it does so quickly and no one gets hurt legally or financially. Getting "free" TV that costs thousands of dollars in fines, and legal fees, it is just not worth it.

Bronze Member
Username: Eurick_hunt

Post Number: 15
whachu talkin bout willis

Silver Member
Username: Hardrockstriker

Post Number: 464
Sorry you feel so down and out about the current situation, Joe. Even though you make some good points in your post, it would take a lot of time and effort to see them come to fruition. And you know how quickly technology changes. I been in the technology business long enough to know that there will always be holes to exploit. Right now, free tv is ubiquitious and in maybe a year's time it will be driven underground. But, there will always be a way in.

Bronze Member
Username: Bjalt

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 72
I agree with much of your post but take exception to several key points. Yes, encryption is getting progressively more complex but the bright young minds that are coming up with the new technology often sat in the same classrooms as the hackers trying to break the encryption. And you have to take economics into account. As long as there is profit in pirate TV, somebody, somewhere will come up with a hack. I think Dave hasn't been hacked because the DN hack was available. there is no economic incentive to hack Dave right now. Of course this is just my opinion. as to your point "d" I agree with the point but what can DN do with a list of bin downloaders? There is nothing illegal about downloading a bin. Loading that bin onto a STB is another matter. You final point, "Getting "free" TV that costs thousands of dollars in fines, and legal fees, it is just not worth it." I couldn't agree with more.

Silver Member
Username: Pirate_pete

Post Number: 431
What ? ppl are pirating tv? where?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us