Explain this one - can watch neighbor's pay-per-view free

Username: Robjamell

Post Number: 5
Okay guys I am very confused.

I was over a friend's house who just bought a new Pioneer Elite plasma. At this point he only has basic cable going into the plasma. NO CABLE BOX! After doing an auto channel scan he gets all kinds of digital channels. They show up like this: example - 83.012. He can even watch pay per view shows, but sometimes they will fast forward and or rewind. It seems he can view shows someone else is viewing. He will see sex shows and it is obvious someone is watching it because they fast forward through the talking scenes to the sex scenes. HE DOES NOT have a box, cable card or anything?? Please explain. I know you think I am nuts!

fx
Unregistered guest
You are not nuts, it is pretty common. Enjoy the free programming.

xvxvxvx

Username: Sarahven

Hatfield, PA USA

Post Number: 1
Hi all, new user here - Experienced same thing here with COMCAST ANALOG service and coax out of the wall - no box. Purchased the HITACHI 51F710S CRT PROJECTION WITH HD TUNER - Old RCA projection died three times - said that's it and went off to surf for DLP or whatever ! Found that the reviews for this model were practically ALL 5.0's and people who had both DLP& this projection tv found the picture to be as good or better than DLP, and savings of at least $1000. Circuit City has it on sale for $1234 - wrapped it up for less than 1350 including tax and delivery ! No $300-400 stand needed ! The pictures after doing the Auto-scan were great - and did notice these funny channel numbers 87-1, 118.2 etc. Drove myself nuts trying to match the TV shows airing on these "funny channels" with Comcast's Tv scedule and got Nowhere ! Figured IN DEMAND was involved and sure enough saw the posting this AM to prove I am not totally nuts. Also receive skin flicks and the fast forwarding-backward issues. This TV produces such a great picture and just discovered the Steeler/Broncos game at three different locations.The BEST broadcast was up in the 119.2 area and when you press the 'Info' button on remote it lets you know the source of the signal and it was DTVCC (digital TV COMCAST) at 1080i. INCREDIBLE !!! PICTURE !!!! Lower down at about in the 80.6 area picture was at Multi-DVTCC- at 720i and then the regular channel was at 480i.
Could really get to compare thess and the 1080i is quite AWESOME. As long as we can 'find' the Sopranos (HBO) and Deadwood we will be very happy with this purchase and no need to get HD set top box from Comcast. By the way, we plugged in the old RCA when staging it in another room before it hits the trash - asked my son to just "try it" one last time- We plugged it in and pushed 'ON' and I am still rolling in the aisles -- the D-- thing came on and works fine !!! Rolled it into the Living Room as the new Hitachi is in the Great Room now. What a day ! I guess we will deal with the 'roving' tuner channels as I will not give Comcast anymore money. This Hitachi is on rolling casters - I can move it - and has 4 recessed handles (2 each side) for moving. Didn't want the big ole projection TV and the weight behind it - but this set is a NO BRAINER for the price. (My husband was a die-hard RCA/SONY person) Not any more..... Peace

Bronze Member
Username: Cabletech

Post Number: 13
The digital signal is not encrypted, therefore, you can get some channels, as for it fast forwarding he is picking up a VOD stream from somewhere in the system.

Bronze Member
Username: Dicks_ndickweeds

Bonerland, USA Country Music

Post Number: 73
Just dumb luck nothing like that could happen in canada in lets say a trillion years. I have an atsc, qam and ntsc tuner not a single digital channel on any canadian cable system in the country. Unencrypted cable what is comcast thinking?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us