105/121on one dish?

Bronze Member
Username: Pirate_pete

Post Number: 65
I know a18" dish can support 2lnb"s with a 9 degree seperation and 33" and 36" dishes can run multi lnb"s but will a 18" dish run 105/121 with 16 degree seperation? The lnb"s would only be 3/4 to 1'' apart, not optimal but still have a working signal?Has this been tested before? I would like to know before I waste any time if it has what's the results/ Thanx.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 74
Is it possible?

Bronze Member
Username: Pakithegreat

Post Number: 16
18" dish wont give you signals from 121W, you need to have a minimum size of 33" to recieve signals from 121W, or use a super dish. I dont know about 105W.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 75
Not tru I watch 121/105 on seperate 18" dishes and want to combine sats onto one with universal bracket if possible.Get 85/95% signal with linear lnbs and used to get half channels with circular lnbs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 77
Doe's any 1 know were I might find answer to this question? LK you know?

Silver Member
Username: Boyce

Post Number: 261
you will have fun for sure, just the shew angle will ton of fun, May be I am in north, I have 121 and 105 now, but I have to use 30 X 39 oval to get them. Good luck!

Gold Member
Username: Lklives

Post Number: 3403
121 or 105 on an 18 inch dish is a nice trick....LMAO

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
Dish 1000 /superdish 121 and 105 arn't 39"get real!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3409
Superdish 121 or 105, is 36 x 20 ...its a large dish!..its twice the size of a 18 inch round dish!....and for a reason!...read all about it here!

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Dishnetwork/Dishes/SuperDISH.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Tadon

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 34
I am a newbie here, I also would like to learn about this one .

I remember I read a thread in this group has a netter say 18" disk can hit a linear signal .
But my point is, If compare signal between circular signal and linear signal , one will see that the Wavelenght of Linear signal is very very big compare to cicular signal .
So ---> want to get a linear signal with dish size 18/20" it is impossible (my view) . But may be due to theory limit, the practical (Experiment) can do it with dish size 18"/20" (?) . Or may be due to a region which is near SAT. located . So I come up with a though is, depend on what kind of signal (or region if YES), one can use disk size .

"A 18" dish can support 2 lnb"s with a 9 degree seperation" may be due to practical apply for 2 sat. they have same signal (ex. 110&119) . But,
my view is different signal is impossible [like
some one talk about linear LNB can get 1/2 signal form circular so one has an idea using a big size dish to get complete (compensate) circular signal . This is imposible) .
How about other idea .

Gold Member

Post Number: 3419
Read the link above and maybe U will learn something!...should read before posting...listen before talking!

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 35
Thx LK, I will ...

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 36
Thx LK, I will ...

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 37
Hi LK,

I just read a link you posted during enjoy my lunch :-)).

As I understand that they also say a small dish (18/20") can not receive linear signal FSS band . The 18/20" dish only receives DBS band .

So you are making me confused !

Please tell me where you think I was wrong (in my though) . I want to learn . I don't mind if you/or someone yelling at me that I am wrong. But, I do mind if you/or someone do not telling me what I am wrong . To me, that is a best way for a learnig . Pleassssssssse .

Gold Member

Post Number: 3429
18 inch Dish is too small for Linear LNB and signals, just like the link stated...Linear LNB's are picking up lower frequencies which are much harder and weaker, so they need BIGGER dishes for the signals to catch and bounce off of to the LNB...this is all simple geometry!...bigger dish = bigger area for LNB to pick up the signal bounced off the dish!

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 39
So I am know "a 18" dish run 105/121 with 16 degree seperation?" is imposible .

Thank you LK .

Gold Member

Post Number: 3433
U cannot put the 105 and 121 on same 18 inch dish..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 90
Tested and confirmed! I tried and learned .LK is write on this one.

Bronze Member
Username: Egyptiana

Vancouver, Bc Canada

Post Number: 11
Hey Lk some people are a bit slow here but i like how patient u are with all of em i wish i was that patient cheers

Gold Member

Post Number: 3463
pirate I don't need your confirmation...what I post is ALWAYS truth...if I don't know or am not sure about something, I will state that,... otherwise U can take it to the bank!

Testing is great and should be done when U want an answer and are unsure of something....obviously U are unsure of my knowledge or who I am....I have been an admin and been a mod for many years at many sites...I have been around many years TESTING and READING..

Username: Outlooker202

Post Number: 9
Rule of thumb is that any linear sat requires 30"

I see people using 18"/phase II dish, and get a 60-80% signal so it doable on a linear sat (121). It all depends where u are. There are even pics of this type of setup but i too lazy to search for it. As far as getting 2 linear sat on 18", your SOL, Linear sat are much weaker than their DBS cousins. That is the reason why you need a big axx dish to pull in the signal.

You can make your own superdish (110, 119, 121) using an 18". It has been done. use a regular lnb and strap the quad QPH-031 next to it and "fine tune it and you will have superdish)

FYI. Quad Polar LNB, has 2 outputs for Circular, 2 outputs for Linear.

Don't expect to be able to watch tv when it cloudy and rainny hard for 121 (e9) has the signal drop dramically.

Here a pic to Invacom
http://www.isellsurplus.com/productimages/150x150/ETR-QPH031-1-sm.jpg
http://www.invacom.com/assets/images/jpegs/qph-031.jpg

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 44
Hi all,

I read in a link "Sadoun.com ..."
they said "
"...orbital locations 110° and 119° are nine degrees apart.
DirecTV's 101° orbital location is nine degrees from our 110°
orbital location. Since each satellite is 9° apart,..."

Based on the statement above, if I aim LNB at center (feeder) to get 110
so in left side of 110(add 1 LNB) will get 119 and right side of 110(add 1 Linear LNB) will get 101 (stand behind a dish). Sound looks so easy, but I try many times can not get 101 !
I only get 119 by strap in a left side of 110 . Could somebody tell me what I am doing wrong? Please .

*** LNB(119) in left side of 110 to get 119, notice that the LNB(119) higher than LNB(110)about 2 inches . My question is,

Is the dish correct an alignment ?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
BUI,

If you trying for the linear 101 that not going to happen. if you mean dss/circular 101 that a possible. 101 is higher than 110

it like a step one higher than the other

Silver Member

Post Number: 265
If you faceing to the front dish,
it should like

Back of Dish
<----------------------------------->
82 91 101 105 110 119/121

Front of dish

Silver Member

Post Number: 266
Do you want get 101 from DTV or what else? Why you need Linear LNB? BTW if you can to catch 2 bird on a dish, you need skew the dish.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
a skew is not necessary as he said

.... LNB(119) in left side of 110 to get 119, notice that the LNB(119) higher than LNB(110)about 2 inches

he already has the skew ...just not the correct skew for 101

Linear LNB is required to get AMC 4 which is 101 in orbit, it shares space w/ DirecTv R/4S/8 sat,
I assume he going aftert viet channel (VPTV, CGN)
if so than a linear LNB is required So get your FACT straight. what channels are u trying to get.

Which bring back to the question, if may be possible to get 101 using 18"/20" but it has to be the center LNB as circular dish focus the majority signal to the "center arm"

Silver Member

Post Number: 268
I don't know about AMC4, I didn't try get it, but I did get 119 110 101(DTV) 91 use a old DTV (channel master 24 X 18)oval dish. and for the skew, if you get two, you will get all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 269
like this

Upload

Username: Zanco

Post Number: 2
why dont you motorize a 39 inch dish and throw an invacom LNB and get every bird up there??? its the only way to go...

Silver Member

Post Number: 274
why dont you motorize a 39 inch dish and throw an invacom LNB and get every bird up there??? its the only way to go...

How? If 4 recevier in the house.

4 motorize dishes?

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 45
Thank you Boyce & Outlooker202 for respond my
question . First step, I try to get 101 because I heard somone tell me that has a Viet channel .

Now, back to main thing I need to learn is how to lay out LNB .

Outlooker202 said: "101 is higher than 110
it like a step one higher than the other "

Outlook202 , you mean 101 will look like 119 higher than 110 ?

Boyce, look at your picture I see 4 LNBs seat in
same level (respect to 180 degree in horizontal and 90degree vertical) if compare to my LNB(119)
it is higher than LBB(110). And you mention about skew . Could you give me some words how to
adjust a skew up/down right/left ...

Thx all, I will try both in friday .
BTW, my dish is 36"

Silver Member

Post Number: 276
Base on where you are(location). I have to skew (turn my dish 91 side up high, and 119 side low)
clockwise.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Boyce is correct, the skew depends on your location.

Here is a Sat caluator, which will help you determine your skew, I would center 101 first as linear are much weaker and work from there.

Using Boyce picture is a perfert example of who skew would

for example ----------------- perfert level

----
sss---
sssssss---

(ingore the ss (place holder)
Boyce is correct about the skew
sat depend on your location of coure --> if lots like a ladder which is

Now image the ----- line rotate say 45 degree , that is the screw

When you mention

.... if compare to my LNB(119)
it is higher than LBB(110). And you mention about skew . Could you give me some words how to
adjust a skew up/down right/left ...

sss110
ssssss101
sssssssss
sssssssssss

THAT the wy it should look like when ur finished,

B4 this complicated, does your dish have a skew plate it should be on the back side of the dish at the top of the pole (where the dish attaches to the pole mount) if so your pretty much set. if not u will have to move ur lnb up and down according.

If your not sure what the heck i trying to describe, go out into your neigbhoord and look at neigbors' dish will like look tiled (especailly superdish) and DirectTV oval dish ... that is the skew in action where all lnb are leveled. (same height)

[link removed]

Silver Member

Post Number: 285
or you can try this

http://www.kusat.com/go.php?path=/install/look.php

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 46
Thanks Boyce & Outlooker202 help me information

Before go to in detail, I want to learn how to
calc. and apply to pointing a dish .

I am living in NJ (assume Cherry Hill).
In Sat. Heading Cal. after Calc. I see @ 110 :

39.917° [+90° to -90°] (I guess it is North and
75.02° [0° to 360° ], I guess it is West .

Elevation = 31.5° --- Azimuth(Geographic)= 227.3°

LNB Polarization Tilt (Skew) = 34.4°

SO I guess these number is TRUE NORTH . Now,
If I want for "Magnetic" , I must add "factor degree" to get "Magnetic" . In NJ cherry Hill chart showed between 12°& 14° but I choose 12° .

Then I add 12 + 227.3°(Azimuth) = 239.3° . This
number (239.3°) is a "magnetic" degree for adjust
a skew .
Is that correct ?

(Notice : 229.3° is -59°)

Now my question is,
Where do I meka a adjustment ?
(a base of mounting Mast OR top of mounting
dish (tilt up & down)

Please, please tell me . Thx advance .

Bronze Member

Post Number: 33
Azimuth is the left --> to right (use a compress) or cheat look at your neighbors dish direction has that were u would be point your dish too.

Elevation. you would use the (built-in protractor) on the dish mount, skew... well u should know what the skew is now

DO NOT ADD OR SUBTRACT FROM THE SKEW in your case

the only thing would would add/subtract is your adjustment to Magnetic devation. (this is because the earth is a circle and not flat.

FYI 1 degree difference in AZ can mean a lot for a linear bird, REMEMBER YOU TRING TO HIT A SATELLITE THAT IS 20,000 + MILES ABOVE EARTH, (the marking are just a guideline and not absolute or it make or may not be exact. Be sure that the mast is perfertly plum (if possible) it make it a lot easier to use all the markings.

I afaid that All i can tell you, just lock onto your 101 first and worry about the others later as those are easier to find.

Silver Member

Post Number: 287

Azimuth =204.067509

Elevation =40.973342

Azimuth =217.237541

Elevation = 36.639848

Azimuth =227.503441

Elevation =31.547581

the skew angle between 91 and 101 is 108.1

the skew angle between 101 and 110 is 116.3

the skew angle between 91 and 110 is 111.7

set up 101 frist, LNB at center of dish

point the dish to NW, make sure you get 101 frist, If you dish can turn (skew), 91 lnb side should turn up (high), and the 119 side should down (low), anti-clockwise. Look like you need play around 108 to 116 skew angle.

If you dish can't turn (skew), you need to put the 91 LNB higher than 101, and 110 lower than 101.

I didn't try on the round dish, hope it help, good luck!
BTW you can use a cheaper satfinder, it make you much easy on the roof.
I never try on a round dish, I hope it help. Good Luck

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 48
Thank you both Boyce & Outlooker202 . I will try after work going home .

I did hit 110 & 119 . But fail in intercept 101/121 ! I doubt because of due to dish align .

Will came back with result . Thx again.

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 54
I tried both 121 & 101 but still get no luck!

I wonder Sat. 121(238A° degree) & 119(236.3A°) & 110(227.3A°) & 101(217A°) & 97(211.1A°) they are
in range 30A° arc .
I got 110 & 119 so my dish is pointed correct
direction .

If 110&119 are chosen for a reference point . so I just left rotate (stand behind dish) about 2A°or 3A° from 119, I will get 121
OR
rotate to the righ about 1.3A°-2A° from 110, I will get 101 . But I can not get a luck !!!

Could some one who out there who have a experience with these SAT (dish 36" round) please give me some hints . Thx advance

Gold Member

Post Number: 3518
U are not trying to get 101W with circular LNB, I hope,,,thats Directv which is not hacked!

Silver Member

Post Number: 291
If your dish is big enough, you can use the quad QPH-031 to get 119 and 121 at the same time/spot.
OR change 119 to Linear LNB, hairy move to north, you shold get it. 121 you need Linear LNB.

BTW which bird you want to get now, look like you want try every one, if you really want to try each, you better install a T-90 dish, or cheaper way use a multi-star 30" X 39" Oval dish like I did, after one time setup, you can easy to add /remove LNB

Silver Member

Post Number: 292
Like this

Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 35
Bui, your not listening. Lock on to 101.. then add 119, 110 to your dish

Uh you mention, if you have a round dish, you MUST MUST MUST have the linear on the center arm. it doable, but if you have a tough time trying to get 1 linear, then 2+ linear on your dish is out of the question for u.

The Best dish for a multiple LNB setup would be an ellipitical 36".

Here a picture of his setup. (this is from S. Cali where 121 is "easier to find")

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 3522
Thats ridiculous!...how much TV can sombody watch!...and that looks like an abortion!...cheap cables and switches exposed very unprofessional..

Bronze Member

Post Number: 37
who cares, as long it works, plus if safe lots of cabling too

Gold Member

Post Number: 3523
Also it has NOTHING to do with this thread...121 and 105 together on same 18 inch dish...U guys went and hijacked this thread and went on a tangent!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 38
those are not cheap connector either. that a look their ppc connection, and beside i seen professional expose their switch too. if he used ppc connection i would think he would shell out for rg6 quad cabling as well.

Bronze Member

Dover, NJ Usa

Post Number: 55
Thank you Outlooker202 . When I have time, I will
try your. Thx .

BTW, I am sorry to LK & all about I hijacked a thread @ LK did mention above!

I only watch TV about 5-10 munites. No time
Reason I ask about set up to detect 121&101 is
"just for a learning myselft" & fun.

Silver Member

Post Number: 293
LK you have a problem, stop boss around, piss off.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 39
no shxt... pple r here to learn..

beside if he wants he can close this thread then do so but i doubt he even has power to do so. he just a joe moe like us

The Thread Name was title 105/121 on 1 dish. which this thread does pertain to.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us