Problems with Sony KD34XBR

Username: Guyhart

Birmingham, AL USA

Post Number: 2
I purchased this 200 pound set 400 days ago. It has been in a repair shop for 120 of those days. It has had THREE CRT replacements for distorted color at the edge of the screen. The problem continues to recur. I have requested a refund of my purchase price but Sony refuses. Seems like it would be more expensive for them to continue to replace CRTs but I guess not. I have heard there is a design flaw in all the XBR models that causes this specific failure but Sony refuses to acknowlege it. RJ Reynolds refuses to acknowledge that cigarettes cause lung cancer too. I do not have speakers or subs around the set that would potentially give a magnetization problem so it is definitely an intrinsic fault in the set itself.
What makes me most angry is the Sony person I have to talk to about the problem on the phone. She doesn't have authority to go to the bathroom without permission but is stationed there to buffer anyone with any authority to do anything for me from me, the customer. She keeps saying she will "pass the file on" and "get back to you with an answer on Tuesday at the latest" etc, but never has anything new to report when I call back (she doesn't call me on Tuesday, I have to call her back Wed). I think she is trained to just flat out lie to customers to pacify them and hope they will go away. I've made perhaps a dozen calls to her over the last month. I have spent well into 5 figures on Sony products in the past but I will never buy anything from Sony again. Others may not go that far but I caution ya'll to avoid these Sony sets like the plague that they are. Man, what a nightmare.

Bronze Member
Username: Mccambley

BREEZY POINT, NY USA

Post Number: 40
I have the 34xbr960 and have never had a problem with it, my friend has 34xbr910 for a year or so longer and has never had a problem . What model do you have. We both have speakers around them.

The Phoenix
Unregistered guest
The 34xbr960 has the best HD picture on the market, period. I've owned it for over a year without any problem what so ever. You just got a bad one. All product lots contain some units that are defective. Sorry for your difficulty.

Username: Guyhart

Birmingham, AL USA

Post Number: 3
I have the KD34Xbr960 as well. Maybe I did just get a bad one. Still, Sony should do the right thing and either give me a new set or refund my money. 3 CRT replacements in one year is insane.

Username: Grtday

Post Number: 1
I've had to deal with Sony's apathetic product support in the past. I got pissed and wrote a letter to the CEO in NYC.(Now, it is Howard Stringer). He has a team of folks to intercept these issues and make the customer happy.
Write a snail mail letter to the CEO and wait for them to call. They will give you the world you deserve.
I'm new to this forum. It's great! Well done Lads!

lluciano
Unregistered guest
I have had this set since early January and just noticed that there are 3 very thin (hair thin) black horizontal lines that can be seen only when the screen colors are white or very light and when you are very close to the screen. I have opened a case with Sony, but also found that some people claim this is normal. Can I ask anyone who owns this set to check theirs and see if they see it as well?

Go BigRed
Unregistered guest
all trinitron sets have the thin lines. it is part of the design of the crt. it is noticed more on pc monitors since you are much closer to the crt. i agree with phoenix, the 960 has one of the best pictures i have ever seen. second only to systems that have external processors and projectors costing many tens of thousands of dollars. I have had an older model (KD-34XBR2) for over four years now, and it still has a better picture than every plasma or lcd i have seen. the only problem with this set is the size. it simply isn't big enough. sucks to know that when i decide to get a much bigger set, i will have to settle for a picture thats not as good as what i have now.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us