Archive through November 15, 2005

reidcar
Unregistered guest
We have a Motorola CC. Should I request a SA?

Silver Member
Username: Cableguy

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 123
reidcar: you can't request the SA, if their company is using the Motorola, they can not offer the SA. It sounds like the aquiring data screen is trying to do a firmware upload, how long do you leave that screen there before you kill it? In most cases it can take up to an hour to hour½ for some TV's to load firmware.

reidcar22
Unregistered guest
cableguy: I've left it in "aquiring data" mode in excess of 10 hours.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 124
wow. Only two things I can think of, there's an issue with your forward data carrier or there's an issue with the card/TV... Contact Hitachi and see what they can offer, see if they can escalate the issue to an engineer. Once we have the customer get the firmware upgrade for their TV there is no problem on the SA card. Again I don't know how Motorola differs, ultimately SA or Motorola should be built with the same specs so I doubt it's an issue with motorola. I'll see if I can find one of our divisions that does use motorola and see if they're seeing the same problem, if their not then it's an issue with your provider, assuming all things equal.

Anonymous

Does anyone know of an STB (Set Top Box) that will do HDTV two ways: OTA (Off The Air) ATSC, and QAM (off cable) and has a Cable Card?

I want to receive my network signals OTA, but also get cable HDTV from Comcast so I can watch ESPN-HD.

Why not just use Comcast? Well for one thing they don't carry all the HDTV OTA signals. Second, their quality is lower than the OTA signal.

confuse in cali
Unregistered guest
cableguy, I have a Panasonic PT-44LCX65 and using comcast CC. all is great, except for "Program Title" there isn't any.
I know it is being boardcast thru the cable since my plain-old Sanyo tv, does show the program title.
any idea?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 172
confuse in cali,
I would contact Panasonic and get verification from them on whether or not the analog or digital channels will show data. I've seen different TV's with it, and some without data, it's all relative to what make and model of TV you have. How the CC interacts with the data that's transmitted through your cable company, and what features your TV has. Is yours showing you the station tag (like espn) but no data about the show? This is a common one that occurs and until they come out with the two-way versions I don't see that ever being fixed, but then again as a consumer you have a right to voice your displeasure to the manufacturer's letting them know how you feel about it. I believe LG and I think also RCA have a TV guide feature built into their software that allows the user, for a monthly fee, to access the TV program list. It is very similar to what your STB IPG gave you as far as channel info. It's up to them what you can and can't receive at this point in time because of the software they chose to use.

G-Mon
Unregistered guest
Cableguy,
In your experience, is there a brand of rear-proj LCD HDTV that you would avoid? I am currently shopping for one (probably somewhere from 50-60 inches) and don't want to make any dumb mistakes. Once the purchase is made, then I'll worry about all this STB/CC mess (because I still don't understand it all!!). Thanks for any advice.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 176
I would defer you to somebody that actually know's more about the TV side of things then I do. Maybe Dale or fx could give you an idea?

Sorry I don't even own an HDTV yet lol, I work for a cable company... nuff said ;o)

Frank44444
Unregistered guest
I am wondering if these cable cards can be hacked to get all channels.

G-Mon
Unregistered guest
Cableguy,
I appreciate your honesty. Perhaps one of those other guys can help. Thanks.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 178
G-Mon, if you start a new thread topic "Purchasing HDTV:HELP!" I'm sure you'd get a quicker reply to your question

Username: Jtrides65

Post Number: 1
can i use any cable card, give comcast theres back, still get everything i get now, just digital cable with hbo? aybody know if any cable card will work??????????

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 194
"can I use any cable card" No
"Will any cable card work" No, I don't believe there are any made available to the general public as of yet, the sole intent of the cable card is to protect piracy and theft of services, while allowing the consumer to view encyrpted channels.

Unregistered guest
We just purchased a 57" Hitachi with the Cable Card slot. We have Insight cable and don't subscribe to the digital cable service. We have the basic and classic service. The funny thing is, they dropped the TV off today. I hooked it up and ran a scan of all of the channels and I appear to get their On Demand shows. Without a Cable Card installed or a Cable Box, there is no way to be charged for these channels are there? Or would you know? I've also noticed that some of the channels has additional channels on them. For example, maybe Channel 10 might also have a Channel 10-1 These On demand channels I've found may have a channel 89-8 or something like that. I also have some music channels. I'm assuming it is just that these channels aren't scrambled. I didn't think I would get these without a card. How does this all work? I can't seem to find the answer but it's probably because I don't know exactly what to do a search on.

Thanks,
Crista

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 203
Crista, what you are seeing is "clear to air" channels, this is normal. No you can't be charged for this additional channels you are receiving with your DCR TV 10.1 is your local channel 10 HD feed. Sounds like you're in the Columbus Ohio area, if so you should also see all of the other local HD and clear to air SD channels. The only reason you would need a cablecard at this point is if you want premium channels like HBO or digital channels that are encrypted. Welcome to DCR technology, and enjoy the picture quality!

Crista P.
Unregistered guest
Thank you. Well, I have been enjoying it tremendously. The only downside is I can't record any of the HD channels on my TiVo. It's been a long time since I've been watching a movie and had to tell everyone to leave me alone until the movies over. I sure miss my 30 minutes of buffer. May have to come up with another solution. Right now I have cable plugged into antennas a and b and the Tivo is set up on a different input. This is also the first TV we've had where all of our game systems will actually be able to be plugged in at one time and no switch is needed.

I'm actually in the Indianapolis area. I am seeing the local channels too that are coming over as HD.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 206
Indianapolis, Columbus..practically neighbors..enjoy your new toy

Unregistered guest
Just hooked up my sony 960, auto programmed analog & digital channels. The TV found HD/Digital locals also some pay channels
unscrambled.
Should I still get a CC from com(DAM}cast?

They want to charge $17. for the tech. to install.
I've never had a STBox and only basic service.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 218
tytlie, that all depends on if you want to get access to all the scrambled channels. If you're content watching standard cable ready (analog channels) and the few clear to air HD channels, then no you don't need one. If you're after digital service, pay premium service or additional HD channels, then yes you'll need it.

montero1
Unregistered guest
I'm confused... Just bought a 60inch Sony LCD and love it.
When I plugged my "Analog" Comcast Cable into the TV, it picked up 300 Digital channels? How? I also get all of the local networks and PBS in HD... Plus 50 or so audio channels...

Do I need a cable card? I'm I missing anything?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 232
Montero1,
What you found was that the TV is doing exactly what you bought it for. The fact that it found 300 digital channels is just telling you it recognized 300 channels in the digital realm. On your Sony TV it should have also indicated how many were actually viewable. All of the local networks are generally passed along "Clear To Air", meaning that you don't need a STB to view them. The only reason you would need a CC is to view encrypted channels that you can not view without paying for them. Each cable company handles their "video security" differently so this may factor into how many channels are CTA. Unless you want access to HBO or other pay digital channels, there shouldn't be any reason to have a CC. Enjoy your new toy

Anonymous

I have a Sony HDTV with DCR and live in San Jose. Like the others I have found that just plugging it into cable it found a bunch of channels, including HD. My question is how to find something that explains which channels are which. My TV numbers them (for example) 105.1, 105.2, 105.3.

When I do the autoprogram it finds whichever HD or music channels seem to be broadasting at that time. All I am really trying to find are ESPN HD, but I'm not sure if I should bother with a CableCard seeing as how I'm getting all of the network HD, INHD, and DiscHD.

scottsouthfl
Unregistered guest
I have a few general questions. 1) If I want to get digital cable w/ HD, should I buy an integrated HD & DCR (are they two seperate thing)?) TV and connect it to my analog cable? I see other people have done this w/ success. 2) If I buy a HD READY TV, would I then need a STB or CC since the TV doesn't have the HD tuner? I am in Miami. Atlantic BB

Username: Avernus

Post Number: 6
Here in Philly, the CC is free with service...

I am getting it today and putting the HD STB in my room to test it out..

Username: Mdzwolf

I have a quick question. I want to get a comcast cable card for my samsung dlp tv, HL-R5667W. I know I lose pay per view, and on demand but I never use those. I also know that I will lose the guide. What I would like to know is if it is possible to use the built in tv guide that came with the tv if I go to the cable card instaed of the box?

Silver Member
Username: Kdog044

Post Number: 154
Mark,

If your TV supports TVGOS and your cable company broadcasts the data over the VBI channel (usually PBS) then you can get the guide through the TV. I get it with my Toshiba and Comcast.

RingerMN
Unregistered guest
I currently have no cable account. If I subscribe to the bare bones analog Comcast service ($8.95 per month in St. Paul, MN, for networks and public access channels), will I be able to watch the provided channels on a DCR HDTV without a cable box? Would I need a cable card? Would I need to subscribe to Comcast's expensive digital service? My basic question seems to be whether DCR HDTV's are "cable ready" in the old sense of the phrase ... analog cable ready, that is. FYI - I'm mainly interested in HDTV for watching DVDs, but also want the ability to get regular broadcast channels at a decent quality. (Also, I know I could get free HD broadcasts with a special antenna, but I'm thinking of getting basic cable as a means to getting cable internet, so I'd be dealing with Comcast either way).

Silver Member

Post Number: 169
You need digital to get HD. There isn't analog HD from Comcast. Otherwise you are limited to basic channels 2-95 or using an OTA antenna.

RingerMN
Unregistered guest
Thanks, Kdog044. So do I understand correctly that if I don't care (for now) about receiving high-def (or even digital) content, I can plug a Comcast wire with basic analog service straight into the new TV without a box or a cable card? Would this still be true if I bought a set without a built-in HD tuner? My bottom line is that I'm in need of a new TV, I love the thin profile and looks of plasma and LCD sets, I like the idea of watching DVDs on HDTV, I don't want to start paying $75 per month for cable TV, I don't want to muck up my sleek new set up with a cable box and I want to preserve my ability to watch the news and a few ballgames on regular TV. I know that the analog cable content won't bring out the best in my TV, but as long as it's watchable, I'd be fine. I may one day decide to spring for an expensive cable or satellite TV package with HD, and I suppose then my TV would be ready for it. I appreciate your thoughts and those of the other forum posters.

Unregistered guest
Why does everyone keep calling no PPV or On-Demand a disadvantage. I call that an ADVANTAGE. Its just another way for the cable company to try to solicit you at every opportunity. I refuse to purchase any of these types of services other than the usual premium channel packages.

I resent the fact that I have to channel up and down through 75 PPV and On Demand channels to get to the actual channels Im paying for. I want the cable company to provide me with the channels Im paying for and nothing else. Dont try selling me anything else.

We're about to order a plasma with CableCard for our office conference room. I cant wait to have acess to programming without all the bloatware, spyware, type of service soliciting in my face on every other channel.

Rodazu
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Sony KD-34XBR960 HDTV with internal tuner; and had CC install a cable card. I have a Pioneer DVD player with Tivo hooked up to Video5. I get the HD and digital channels on regular TV (cablecard) but cannot get the digital or HD on the Tivo (Video5 through Pioneer DVR box). I called Pioneer and they said that Tivo would not work with Cablecard that I had to get a STB? Is this true? I love the picture with the cablecard but miss my Tivo.

Silver Member

Post Number: 173
So do I understand correctly that if I don't care (for now) about receiving high-def (or even digital) content, I can plug a Comcast wire with basic analog service straight into the new TV without a box or a cable card? Would this still be true if I bought a set without a built-in HD tuner?

Yes and yes.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 261
Rodazu, there is no video output jacks to connect to your Tivo from your TV that will allow you to record HD/digital. I hear word Tivo is making a CC compliant device, and I know for a fact Sony has released their PVR ($1000 retail) If you are wanting to record anything to your Tivo, sadly yes you will need a STB.

Username: Rf186

Post Number: 5
This is posted on the Comcast website (FAQ)

I have a digital-cable-ready HDTV set. Do I need a CableCARD or a special HD set-top box to view HD programming?

Digital-cable-ready HDTV sets have built-in HD capability so no special set-top box is required to receive HD signals for broadcast digital channels. You would need to use either a set-top box or a CableCARD to receive non-broadcast Comcast Digital Cable and/or HDTV channels that are not available on the basic service tier.

Username: Cable_peon

Post Number: 5
To answer and clarify a lot of questions in this discussion - -

Comcast charges approx. $5.00 per month for an HD digital cable box. This charge is for the box only with NO additional charge for the HD channels available.

You do, however, need to be subscribed to the required service level in order to view certain HD channels.

Example 1 - To get ESPN, Discovery & Comcast Sports Net HD channels, you must have a minimum Standard Cable (Basic + Expanded Basic) service subscription since that is where these regular channels reside.

Example 2 - To get Premium (HBO, Showtime, etc.) HD channels, you must be subscribed to that Premium channel's service.

Example 3 - To get only the local network HD channels, you need only be subscribed to Basic Broadcast service since that is where these regular channels reside.

So - to recap - Comcast will bill you for your subscribed service level fee (Basic, Standard, Premium) + the approx. $5.00 HD box charge on a monthly basis.

Since Comcast views a CableCard (from a billing perspective) as the equivilent to a cable box, you will be charged the service level fee + approx. $5.00 for the CableCard.

As indicated in previous messages, the disadvantage of a CableCard vs. an HD box is NO access to the Guide info, Pay-Per-View services or (in the case of at least a Digital Classic subscription) OnDemand services.

Comcast is in dicussion with all the major TV manufacurers in order to define a standard that will allow the above services to be provided on a CableCard sometime in the future.

Hope all this helps.

Bronze Member
Username: Rf186

Post Number: 15
Cable Peon, Comcast doesn't charge for the Cable Card. Only for the stb.

montero1
Unregistered guest
Comcast in the chicago area charges you a one time flat fee of 23.99 for a cable card with NO 5.00 monthly charge.

kombatkomcast
Unregistered guest
Here in the Silicon Valley, we are charged $5 fee for the cable card on top of the other services comcast provides...btw I own a sony 55xs955 and had the cable card working for over a year and now it isn't working. Comcast came over, tinkered around with the "technician" working with a cablecard for the 1st time. They went through tinkering with my tv and I told them, the card's not receiving a signal...IP address isn't set. Finally after 2 days, they said it was the card, so they went through 2 different cards and couldn't get it to work. I'm left with a STB for now. I think their workers need to be trained.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 288
kombat, there will never be an IP address on your TV because the current versions of DCR CC TV's are only one way. You need a two-way compliant device in order for an IP address to be present. I'm curious though...did you ever see any error messages or did it just stop working? I don't work for Comcast, but I can tell you to have them check your FDC (Forward Data Carrier) Did they leave you with the CC or did they remove it completely?

Anonymous

Here is the deal.
The cable guys put unencrypted broadcast digital tv signals from abc, nbc, pbs, etc. on even their basic analog cable service for free to keep the FCC happy, but they don't exactly go out of their way to tell you about it (and their customer service reps are as clueless as anyone). If you have a tuner that is "QAM in the clear" capable (some are "8vsb over cable" instead, which only works in Korea), whether internal or as a set top box, you will pick these "in the clear" channels up just fine.

The only reason you need a cable card or digital cable box, and accompanying digital cable service, are for the proprietary encrypted content like HBO, on demand, and pay per view. Like many have said, the cable card is only one way, so no interaction upstream to select a pay per view program, which means no pay per view with a cable card.

I haven't tried it yet, but I am tempted to buy the Motorola DCT6200 cable set top box ($400 at amazon) and see what it does with my basic cable service, which does fine with a PC-installed QAM tuner. If activated by the cable company, it will receive everything, but if not activated, my guess is that it will act as a QAM tuner. The added benefit of this box over some QAM tuners at half the price is that it has a firewire interface for recording and playing digital TV to/from your Mac or PC.

franko
Unregistered guest
Does anyone know why I keep losing digital channels at random with my samsung hlr5667w equipped with comcast cablecard?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 290
franko, have you contacted Samsung about it yet to see if they are aware of any problems? I've read other threads by people with Samsung's doing the exact same thing.

Anonymous

For anyone interested in Comcast HDTV & CableCard:

1. No monthly charge for using CableCard
2. One-time $15.99 professional in-home installation/insertion/activation of CableCard.
3. OnDemand/PPV/Interactive Guide won't work with CableCard presently.

That's it!

Username: Ddavid9993

New Bedford, MA United States

When Comcast says I need a HDTV box for my cablecard ready Panasonic plasma in MASS., is that bull? Do I keep calling them until I get someone who knows what their talking about?
Should I move to California?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 310
Per FCC regulation they are required to provide you access to a cablecard, anything else is ca-bull

montero1
Unregistered guest
CableGuy, I'm confused...

I'm in the Chicago area and have a Sony KDF60 LCD.
I don't have a CC or BOX, and I get all the local HD channels (comcast), but a few days ago I reprogramed my TV and it picked up a bunch more HD channels, like INHD,ESPN-HD,DIS-HD etc...
After four days of incredible HD viewing, they're all gone!!! I'm back to just the local HD viewing... Why? What's going on? HELP....

Thanks

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 313
It sounds to me that when you reprogrammed the TV, they may have had the encryption turned off at the headend thus you were able to view the channels, but then turned encryption back on and you lost them. Odds are if you reprogram your TV nightly for the next 30, 60, 100 days you may find times when the TV see's these channels in the clear but they will always disappear. Usually those channels are part of a "package" you have to purchase to view, kind of sucks that you got to see them free for four days then lost them. Anyway, hope this helps.

asfdadfad
Unregistered guest
montero it was a free digital weekend. you did nothing wrong.

montero
Unregistered guest
asfdadfad;
No wounder I had everything... It sure was nice seeing the quality picture of all these HD channels!
Hopefully more station will start to convert over to HD, Is there any time line for that???

Thanks again

Anonymous

I have been reading the above thread and it seems that with basic analog cable if my HDTV has a built in QAM tuner I should be able to receive the OTA channels (CBS, NBC, etc) digital/HD feed if comcast carries it as part of their HD package. However when doing the auto tuning I only get one OTA digital/HD station (CBS) and not the three OTA digital/HD stations (CBS, NBC, PBS) that they show on their program line-up. Anyone have any ideas as to why? Am I subject to having that one channel (in digital/HD format) dissappear at any time? Does it make a difference if the channel doesn't broadcast in HD all the time? ie the local PBS station broadcasts 4 stations OTA digitally during the day and them wraps them into 1 HD signal at night. However not all of the nightly programming is in HD.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 340
I would call Comcast and verify if they are passing along the local networks in the clear. If they are not broadcasting in HD isn't the issue...any TV with an integrated digital tuner should be able to pull in digital/HD channels that are not encrypted. Keep in mind the person who answers the phone might not have any clue as to what you're talking about. It would be best to see if they can have a technical supervisor call you back to answer what questions you may have.

PJOHN
Unregistered guest
I have a technical question. i have a SONY 55" HDTV with a cable card slot. Our local cable company is sending all the local HDTV stations non-encrypted as well as the two HDNET stations- so I am enjoying alot of HDTV without paying an extra cent for digital cable! Anyway, I was wondering why the stations come in as decimals (ie.-81.2), but when you buy the box or cable card- the same channels are listed as whole numbers- such as 300 or 301. Why is that?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 343
Because the CC maps the channels to match your cable system's channel plan, and when you pull channels off air your TV is mapping the channel to the digital carrier the station is found on. (laymans explanation, somebody might have a better "technical explanation")

Partyaniml
Unregistered guest
I just ordered (hope to get it next week) the newest Samsung HL-R6168w DLP HDTV with all latest technology - 1920 x 1080p, 10,000:1 contrast, etc. I have read all the threads regarding the use of a Cable Card and not having the ability to use Comcasts interactive TV guide. However, the TV, according to Samsung's specs, comes with "TV Guide on Screen Interactive Program Guide". Is anyone familiar with this? Does it mean I will have access to some type of guide put out by "TV Guide"? Is this a subscription? I would rather use the cable card in lieu of STB, but a channel guide of some sort is important. Any one???

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 357
I believe it is TVGOS (I believe it stands for TV Guide On Screen), yes the feature works if your TV has the ability to provide it. I don't believe it is a subscription service, you might want to contact Samsung and ask them if it is or isn't. I have seen it in action, it's not an interactive OSG like you find on your standard digital STB, but it is interactive and will provide you with channel information, show title and brief description of the content of the show when applicable.
You can go to tvgos.com and see what it does for you

Partyaniml
Unregistered guest
Thanks Cableguy. You are correct. In fact, I encourage anyone who has a TV set with this capability to visit www.tvgos.com. There you will find an interactive demonstration on how the TV Guide works. My opinion is it's better than the guide Comcast offers. It even has PIP and the best part - no subscription fees (AMEN).

Username: Ith0

Wow.. a lot of questions and answeres here. Some correct some wrong. Nice to see cable guy here offering help. I too work for a cable company and there are a couple things I want to add/support.

I believe that all cable cards are HD

Some of the cable companies have a charge to rent or obtain the cable card. This is not unreasonable because the company has to buy them in the first place to install them. We charge under $3.00/month

Most if not all the Hitachi tv's have a softeware issue. Make sure that your software is up to date.

We have recieved bad cable cards and have had to try up to 6 cards at one home just to get one that works. No idea why.

Cableguy-I wonder how many of the problems might be attributed to the databas that the csr's/dispatchers use to address the cards

I think I would wait a couple more years before getting one until all the bugs are out and full 2 way is available

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 364
Bill,

All CC's are not HD. They work both digital and HD, for encryption purposes. There are actually SD CC TV's on the market already that aren't HD but CC compliant. Not all Hitachi's have software issues, only ones that don't have software version V 0136.000. Most of the newer models being sold already have this version on there, so please be careful when making statements like that. No picking a fight, just trying to avoid arguments :-)
Have had very few bad CC's where I work, had some but not enough to complain about. Coding issues exist for all equipment based on who is coding the account, to err is human.
CableLabs has already approved two-way versions of DCR TV's, but they will not be functional until the OCAP issues are worked out. You can do a search on google for CableLABS or OCAP and read all about where they're going with this. New problems to work through with the two-way, once it's legitimately working, but hey I live to be stressed out lol.

I'm curious, you mentioned "Wow.. a lot of questions and answeres here. Some correct some wrong. what have you seen wrong?

regards,

Username: Ith0

Post Number: 2
most of the "wrong" were already corrected by you or others. I was just reaffirming some of that. Since I am at work I was jumping into the forum to type then interrupted by work again.

I stand corrected on the hd part of my statement. It was my understanding though. But that is why I started reading the [posts to try and get better edumacated on them so we can solve the problems when they come in. I am huge on giving good customer service.

Ahh Mitsubishi..I was recently informed that they needed to have better than v00.3. Just ran into one where that was part of the issue which was the motivator to look for the edumacation.

About the coding-I am referring to the actual databases such as ICOMS or Cable Data or CSG etc... I would be curious if that has anything to do with any problems.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 368
Usually speaking I haven't seen any issues with CSG coding causing problems after the fact. If there is a problem, usually the card won't work from the get go. If you have access to the DNCS data page, you can verify services assigned to the CC to cross check them with database services. If there is a problem with the coding the DNCS won't authorize the channels, even if they exist on the CSG, ICOMS data base.

Unregistered guest
There has been a lot of talk about people with DCR tvs and picking up free digital cable. The same thing happened to me - I have the Sony KDF60-WF655 and upon auto-programming, I picked up all these channels that have decimals (eg, 86.4), even though I only subscribe to analog cable and not digital. I have a few questions:
1) When I go to some of them, I believe they are on-demand channels that a neighbor is watching. I say that b/c I can see them fast forward or rewind (last night, I saw someone watching a "mature" movie, and kept fast-forwarding!). Is this just one neighbor, or am I picking up many houses that are ordering movies? And what determines whose house I am connected to?
2) Are these channels shown in HDTV even though I am not using a stb or cc? The picture is very clear, but I'm wondering if it can be improved further with a cable card. Sony has a button on the remote which tells you the format and some say 480i, 720p, or 1080i. I know the last two are HDTV formats, but I don't know if my tv is actually showing them in HD since I don't have the stb or cc. If it is, then I won't bother subscribing to digital and paying the extra costs.

Please inform! Thanks!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 370
The channels with decimals are digital or HD channels in the clear, this is normal.
1) It sounds like they have On Demand channels unencrypted in your system, which is why you're able to view somebody else's movies. Enjoy the free ride lol. I don't know if it's a neighbor right beside you, behind you or even on your street, so can't help you determine who or how many are determining what you are seeing.

2) Some of them are digital, some of them are HD. The 480i are digital channels, 720p and 1080i are HD. The CC won't make them any clearer then what you are already seeing, the CC's main purpose is to unencrypt channels you are paying for, and ensure the integrity of the ones you are not.

brucekai
Unregistered guest
Thanks cableguy. Another question: I pick up most of the regular hd channels - NBC, FOX, etc. However, I don't get ESPN, Discovery, or many other channels in hd (I do receive the analog stations and I pay for extended basic). Will I get ESPN HD if I get the cable card?

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 373
If you subscribe to the services that include ESPN-HD, with a CC you would be able to get it. Just because you have a CC doesn't mean you get all the channels, you get what you pay for.

D King
Unregistered guest
I have read through almost all these posts and I have a few questions if someone doesn't mind answering them. I am 90% positive that I am going to purchase a Sony KDF-42WE655, and I think that I want to get a CableCard with my Comcast Service. I already have the Digital Silver package so I should not have to pay upgrade to HDTV. I understand that I will lose my onDemand and guide stuff, but if I have a Tivo DVR will I be able to use all the regular guide functions with that? Also, will I even be able to enjoy the high quality HDTV that a CableCard provides if I have to run the cable through the Tivo which outputs in S-Video? I know Sony sells a HD capable DVR, but it is a lot of money to be spending on top of a new television. If someone can ease my worries I would greatly appreciate it.

Anonymous

For those who have seen Comcast (I live in San Francisco Bay area) programming with both digital STB and CableCard, please comment on the difference in picture quality, if any. I just got a 42-inch Sony LCD projection and while the HD channels are amazing (I'm paying $5/month for the HD STB), I noticed significant degradation in the non-HD channels!

Also, someone suggested to me that I split the video cable and feed one directly into the TV (as opposed to going through the STB and then connect to TV through component cables), would that help? Thanks!

Username: Ddavid9993

New Bedford, MA United States

Post Number: 2
"The channels with decimals are digital or HD channels in the clear, this is normal".
------------
How about the channels without decimals, are they all digital if they all say 480i?
I have a Panasonic plasma and ran the auto-program and channels 2 thru 71 say 480i and about 6 channels 82-4 thru 87-2 are HD. Does Comcast supply a different cablecard for each level of service? How does the TV pick up a digital signal if I don't subscribe to digital cable?
Thanks!!

Unregistered guest
I posted this question in another thread but I think it may have been the wrong forum. Any advice would be a great help. I have a Samsung HDTV with integrated tuner and CC slot, no STB, basic Comcast analog service from the wall, and no antenna. Do I need to order a CC, digital service, a combination of both, or just stay with what I have to get the best picture? This site is outstanding for those of us who are technically challenged, thanks again.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 404
Matt,
if you don't mind missing the PPV and MOD stuff, you might like the CC over the STB. The basic service should also have clear to air local HD channels, so unless you need digital channels, you really don't need a CC to enjoy what you already have. Maybe somebody that works for, or has Comcast without a STB or CC can verify for you what channels you should be receiving.

matt1616
Unregistered guest
Thanks cableguy, you're the man.
I have read that if you don't have digital service or a digital antenna, you can't get HDTV which is a digital signal. True or false? Will having digital cable to the HDTV improve my picture noticeably?
Don't care about PPV or MOD, just want the best picture I can get. I watch mainly network shows and DVDs so not concerned with all the extra HD cable channels. I ordered a CC to be delivered but I have been reading about so many problems with them I'm not sure what to do.

Username: Snicholson

I'm new to this thread and getting ready to purchase a JVC HD-ILA HD52G886 with DCR, CableCard slot and built-in ATSC/QAM tuner. Can cableguy or s/o else confirm my understandings below? BTW this chat area is absolutely awesome. I've had HUGE trepidation in this purchase 'cause if I buy this thing and the wife can't watch what she wants I'm in the doghouse bigtime.

1. With my new JVC and Analog Extended Basic +HBO hooked up directly to the TV via coax with no CableCard or STB:

WE SHOULD GET ALL OR MOST OTA CHANNELS (ABC, NBC, ETC.), INCLUDING HD PROGRAMS WHEN THEY BROADCAST THEM, VIA THE JVC'S INTERNAL QAM TUNER. WE WILL ALSO GET--IN SD ONLY--EXTENDED BASIC STATIONS SUCH AS ESPN & THE HBO WE'RE ALREADY SUBSCRIBED TO-BUT NOT ANY HD PROGRAMMING ON THESE EXTENDED BASIC OR PREMIUM STATIONS. WE SHOULD STILL BE ABLE TO WATCH ALL OF THE EXTENDED BASIC STATIONS AND HBO BUT ONLY IN SD.

2. THE CABLECARD--IF WE DECIDE TO GET ONE--WILL SIMPLY ALLOW US TO GET HD PROGRAMMING ON ESPN, HBO, DISCOVERY, ETC. BUT PROBABALY ONLY WITH A DIG CABLE SUBCRIPTION. THAT IS IN ESSENCE ALL THE CC IS GOOD FOR. IT PROTECTS THE CABLE COMPANY'S PROPRIETARY HD BROADCAST RIGHTS.

3. SD PROGRAMMING IMAGE QUALITY VIA THE QAM TUNER WILL PROBABLY LOOK AT LEAST AS GOOD OR CLOSE TO OUR CURRENT CRT SET HOOKED UP TO ANALOG COAX CABLE. THIS IS A HUGE QUESTION FOR US.

4. SD PROGRAMMING ON ANY STATION SHOULDN'T LOOK ANY BETTER THAN ANALOG COAX IF WE WENT WITH DIGITAL CABLE SINCE SD PROGRAMS ARE NOT BROADCAST DIGITALLY ANYWAY.

5. WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS ALL THE CHANNELS WE'RE CURRENTLY RECEIVING ON OUR CRT SET VIA EXTENDED BASIC + HBO, BY HOOKING OUR ANALOG COAX CABLE INTO THE BACK OF THE NEW JVC, PERIOD.

Thanks to everyone for your awesome insights.

Post Number: 7
Forgot to mention, we are Time Warner in NC, but hopefully that doesn't matter for our questions.

Scott

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 407
wow, what a mouthful, but lets address some questions and then give some answers.
Are you saying that at TWC in NC, you are able to watch HBO without a STB?

1.) If you are, then you would be able to view all analog channels, local clear to air (free)HD channels and HBO without the need for a CC or STB.

2.) The CC will allow you access to any encrypted channels your particular cable system offers, that requires a STB in order to descramble and pass them along to you. You would gain digital and HD channels, as well as premium channels like cinemax, showtime etc...depending on what you're will to pay for. You would lose access to Pay Per Views or Movies on Demand, but since you don't currently have a STB, this doesn't seem to be a detriment.

3.) The PQ of your SD or analog channels should look better with or without a CC then they would through a STB. Comparing them to your standard CRT TV, depending on screen size of your old CRT, to your new HDTV factors in on how good they will look, what your signal levels are, and what your video settings are at. For the most part, if you're jumping from a 36" CRT to a 52" screen size, you may notice they don't look as clear as they did on your CRT, but shouldn't be too much of a degradation.

4.) That is correct, analog channels are analog channels, if you go with a digital STB or CC the channels will not improve. ( Ask them when they plan on doing a full digital simulcast, most of the big cable providers are planning to make this jump to all digital to keep in compliance with the digital transformation from analog per FCC guidelines)

5.) Yes you should, but you'll see there are different RF connections on the back of your JVC, depending on what ones you have an active cable signal going to, determines if you are seeing analog cable/digital cable/ or off air HD broadcast from local network providers.

Does that answer the questions?

Post Number: 8
Yes that is very, very helpful thank you for taking the time. Sorry for the ALL CAPS I was just told by my brother that that is the equivalent of shouting in a chat room. Did not intend that. And yes we are getting HBO without a STB; haven't needed an STB for HBO or Extended Basic which runs through coax directly to my 1999 32" Sony CRT (very nice picture BTW).

You said the CC will allow us to "access any encrypted channels...depending on what we're willing to pay for." So I think you're agreeing with what I said: Without it, we can get our currently-subscribed ESPN and HBO in SD only...but if we want to see ESPNHD or other HD programs on such Extended Basic TW-controlled stations we are going to have to get the CC and upgrade to Digital Cable. Does that sound correct or is there a chance just installing a CC will allow us to watch HBO, ESPN, etc. HD programs? Bottom line--like others in this forum--don't want to pay for Digital Cable.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 409
You would stand better to contact your TWC division and ask them how you go about getting HBO and ESPN HD, I would wager you would need to get the CC and pay for HD services in order to get them. I'm amazed that your TWC system allows SD HBO through without a STB... it's not uncommon, but it does go to show how different systems operate their system.

Post Number: 9
Thanks again.

Unregistered guest
heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy cableguy!!!!

i have a 55 in grand wega lcd rptv! i live in pa near gettysburg and we have suscom out here. i have a cablecard installed and i have a couple different issues with the card(cable co) since they put my card in i have not been able to to run my autoprogram option to pick up channels! it highlights everything on the menus except add digital channels and autoscan! the channel is locked and i cant get any other channel to work other than the one they set it up on! if i switch off channel lock to say 5 it will let me scan and add channels but i get no damn channels not 1 channel when it is done! next problem is , i cant get the info to come up on all of my channels ,, for the most part i get maybe 5 out of 10 on the analog /basic channels then i get nothing (no channel tag or description)for expanded digital digital movie channels or hd! now i would think if they can get them on some why cant they get them on all of them?, i cant figure it out,, i have called sony 3 different times and have yet to get csr that speaks english ,all i understood was it is cable companies fault! i have had the cable co out here twice and they replaced the card and each time they say it should be fine and it hasnt been fine yet!(the 1st time they came i got a 166-06 error or something like that)(and i lost my pay channels and hd )last but no least , instead of buying a cd player to suck up more room i went out and got a top noth dvd player with sacd playback, is there a way around using multichannel to hook it up the reciever to listen to my cd's?

thanks alot man

Unregistered guest
How are people getting a cable card without paying for digital cable? I live in Washington, DC and Comcast will not provide the card unless you upgrade to digital, for another $20. Thanks!

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 410
roachman,
When you have a CC installed on your TV the CC maps the channels according to your systems channel plan, that is why you are not able to do a channel scan, if you want to do a channel scan, you would need to remove the CC and lose any of the channels that are encrypted. If you're trying to see what new channels may exist in the channel mapping, you can do a reset through your TV-MENU-APPLICATIONS: go down to the CC section under applications and you should have the option to show or reset, when you choose reset it will reboot the TV and will relearn the channel plan as part of the boot-up process. As for the channel tags, I'm on the fence with this one...depending on who your manufacturer is does determine what type of information you can receive. Example: If you have a Toshiba or Samsung or LG, they have the TVGOS feature that allows you access to a on screen guide and gives you channel information similar to what you normally would get using the IPG on a STB. So...for Sony saying it's the cable providers fault, I'd say you've got a 50/50 chance on who's actually to blame. The easier solution would be to contact the cable co, ask to speak with a supervisor and ask them if they can contact their head end manager and see if he can clarify if they are sending out channel tags. Based on what I've seen the info is being sent out, but some TV's don't get as much information as others do, so I really don't know who is to blame.

The 166-6 error you mentioned...are you sure it wasn't 161-6? 161-6 error message is a known Sony problem, and should be reported directly to Sony. In the event you get that message again, you can do the reset feature I mentioned above and temporarily regain channels lost due to the error. Eventually Sony will need to come out and replace the CC slot in your TV, which will also require you call the cable company back again to delete the original host ID and assign the new host ID, so that your CC will function properly again. Don't know the answer to your last question, never had to hook one of them up yet. You may be able to direct that specific question in another thread.

brucekai,
It's up to each individual company on what practices they put in place for CC deployment. Our system doesn't require digital service in order to have the CC.

Unregistered guest
I set up my HDTV with tuner and CC slot, an analog signal, and no STB last night. The HD channels come in great but several of the SD channels have very poor reception. Will a CC or subscribing to digital service clean this reception on the SD channels or is it somthing else? on our old CRT, these channels came in just fine.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 411
matt,
The CC will not improve the PQ of your analog channels. Comparing your old CRT to your new HDTV is an unfair advantage as the TV is more geared for HD and digital signals then it is for analog. One thing I could recommend though is to have somebody come out and check your signal levels, as your reception should look pretty comperable to a VCR tape. If you have a VCR that you can hook up to the TV, and play back a tape on it, then compare it to your analog cable signals, you shouldn't notice any significant difference. Something else you can do, is to take that same VCR and tape to another TV in the house and play it back on that one, to see how they look on a regular TV. If it looks good on a regular TV, then you know it's your new TV that is making them look bad. If you do see a significant difference between your VCR tape and your analog cable pictures, call the cable company and have them check your levels. If you don't, accept the fact that your TV displays analog formats like this and maybe you can contact the manufacturer and see what they recommend to do, to get the most out of your analog quality.

Roachman
Unregistered guest
thanks man

TEG
Unregistered guest
I am looking at a new HD TV the Sony XBR. There is a cable card slot. If I buy that TV will it be obsolete or can I use a two way cable card when they come out?

Username: Fox_hdless

Post Number: 3
This question is for anyone in the northern california (chico area).
what is up with comcast and being so darn slow with getting more HD channels to us?
sure we get inHD 1 & 2, espn, discovery, and pbs.
but where are ABC, NBC, & CBS?
I noticed that on 902 is now FOX 30, but it looks like a stretched analog signal and not HD.
oh yeah, for those out there thinking about Sony wega 42" lcd rptv, before buying, make a list of everything you are wanting with your tv. PaP, surround sound. etc..
1. I bought a sony 42" and using PaP you can ONLY watch digital/hd on one side, the other side is analog period.
so if you have STB and want to use a CC, forget trying to watch two digital channels in split screen.
2. If you have a surround sound system and you would like to hook it up to Sony via fiber optic or coax, you will have to turn off tv speakers before it will send audio to system.
I no longer have the Sony, I exchanged it fort he Panasonic 44", it does what I want.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 417
TEG, the CC is already two-way compliant, in other words is was designed to work both directions, the TV itself is what needs to be built for two-way compliance. If you purchase the current one-way version it will be obsolete when the two-way versions come out.

TEG
Unregistered guest
Cableguy: Just as I suspected. Like a computer you are staring at an obsolete machine right out of the box. Sometime you just bite the bullet.

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 419
Agreed, with an exception. As long as you are willing to do a little research before you purchasing a high dollar item, ask the right questions and then make an informed decision. Most people buy first, ask questions later then complain that they were duped into buying something they aren't happy with. The bigger issue is how long is one willing to wait? There will always be something better right around the corner.

Baffled
Unregistered guest
Hello, I have the same problem as a post on Jan. 25th, 2005. I have a Phillips 60inch HDTV ready TV that only broadcasts the HDTV channels clearly[when using the HDTV inputs[{component}, while all other channels are distorted. I have the Comcast HDTV cable box and basic+ HDTV service. The TV is a 2003 model and does not have a cable card input. Thanks for your help!

Post Number: 4
We just got FOX HD last week, and it does look like the other HD channels.
for 1. its not as clear and for 2. it is stretched.
I ask comcast about this, and they told me that it is the way fox is broadcasting HD.
could someone that has FOX HD tell me if this it true?

fx
Unregistered guest
Fox is the most complex HD channel to dissect. Here are the details: Fox when transmitting HD in thier HD channel transmits in 720p, on that same channel they will also transmit a 4:3 ratio 480P signal for non-HD material, this will have sidebars. Now they will normally (ala the Sunday Morning NFL Pregame Show) transmit a 480p program upconverted to 720p. Finally The Simpsons is transmitted in 480P widescreen with no sidebars on all new episodes.

How all this relates to your exact circumstances as far as I can tell: Either your display is set to something other than "FULL" and/or your cable box is set to output 480i or 480p and stretch it all the time.

True HD material cannot normally be stretched since it is a native 16:9 ratio signal and there is nowhere to stretch it to. Please let us not get into aspect ratios such as 1:85 to 1 and other widescreen movie presentations here as it is not relevant to the symptom.

Another possibility is that you think everything on the HD channel should be in HD and as I explained above it will not be so. In that case if you have a stretch mode selected all the non 720p programming will be stretched. I suggest you look at a prime time FOX show since they are all in HD and see if it looks correct. After that post back here with your observation and your display model and model and manufacturer of your cable box if you still need help.

xvxvxvx

cable confused
Unregistered guest
I just bought a Philips LCD HDTV (model 32PF7320A/37) and I'm looking to upgrade from analog cable (Comcast in New Hampshire). The TV has the QAM feature others have mentioned, I've programmed the TV and have found a bunch of the HD signals on the XX.X channels including all the 4 major networks and all the digital music channels.

Now a couple questions:

-If I order digital cable from Comcast, they throw in 10 HD channels, some of which my TV didn't seem to pick up (including ESPN HD and NESN HD) but Fox isn't one of the 10. If I get a box instead of a cable card, will I have to click off the box and tune my TV to the Fox HD signal my TV picked up?

-If I choose the cable card route, I'm guessing I'll have to run the TV's autoprogram again. Will my TV then set itself to the channel configuration shown on the comcast site and will it also find the XX.X channels that it does now?

-I want to get Fox HD because of football and MLB games. Will it somehow disappear by upgrading to digital cable thus forcing me to get the HD offering from Comcast and eat another $8.25 a month?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Unregistered guest
I currently have analog cable with no frills
like HBO or Showtime. I am about to purchase a Panasonic HDTV with tuner. I
have read most of these posts and have a few questions. Oh, Yes, I have Comcast in eastern Mass., town of Weston.

I wish to NOT get a digital cable box and wonder if I need a cable card?

What benefit would a cable card provide?

My understanding is that the cable wire
currently coming into my house carries the
analog channels AND the local OTA HDTV
channels like NBC, FOX, etc. I believe this
will preclude me from getting Discovery-HD.

If one does purchase digital cable, must the
cable company come out and change something on the pole to enable the digital
signals? Or does everybody in my neighborhood get identically the same 'stuff'
down the cable entering their house?

If I were to instead get a digital STB or cable
card, even though I don't want extra channels, would my reception be notably better than
my current analog cable?

Is there a difference between a QAM tuner
and a ATSC tuner? Sometimes I see a
TV description that mentions one but not the
other.

Thanks,
--jim

Anonymous

This is an excellent and informative forum. Two questions today:

1) Does the use of CC incur any/perceivable tune-in delay (the time elapsed beween switching channels), compared to using built-in QAM alone.

2) It's really hard to impossible to tease out the details regarding required subscription levels to receive non-premium HD content beyond basic broadcast channels (ie ESPN-HD, INHD, Discovery-HD ...) from the fineprint on the Comcast web site. So the question is, if I currently subscribe to Comcast Standard Cable (analog, expanded, no premiums), will Comcast require an upgrade to Digital tier in order for me to acquire their CC to decrypt the above mentioned HD channels (which just last week suddenly starded getting encrypted at the head end, I believe), or can they just provide the CC with the current subscription service? This is for Comcast Los Gatos, Santa Clara county, CA (not that it matters if this turns out to be strictly a technical limitation of CC functionality).

Detroit Brian
Unregistered guest
I've had Fox HD for about a year now in the Detroit area. When they are broadcasting HD (NFL, Arrested Development, MLB, House etc) it is NOT stretched. Comcast is feeding you BS. Check your cable box settings for the stretch option. Mine has the option to stretch a non HD show to fit the screen but if I don't take it out of stretch when an HD show comes on, it will still be stretched.

"We just got FOX HD last week, and it does look like the other HD channels.
for 1. its not as clear and for 2. it is stretched.
I ask comcast about this, and they told me that it is the way fox is broadcasting HD.
could someone that has FOX HD tell me if this it true? "

I am not sure if it is Comcast or the local FOX broadcaster that screwing with us.
When I watch FOX HD is stretched, except for when I am watching House, Bones, etc. shows that are in true widescreen format. other than that all are stretched and is not as clear.
And the commercials during House, Bones, etc are great looking. if they are widescreen format, then they are in widescreen and if they are not widescreen then they are shown in 4:3 and not stretched to full screen.

Post Number: 7
In regards to my last message, I guess someone from Comcast or KCVU Fox 30 read my message and desided to stop stretching the signal.
NOW Comcast needs to get on the ball and provide NBC, CBS and ABC to us in the Chico area.

Anonymous

Has anyone experienced this? I recently purchased the Sony KDL-V40XBR1 and hooked it up to my Comcast Cable connection. Prior to hooking up I was receiving basic cable, no box, no digital, just basic cable and High Speed Internet. Well, after letting my new Sony auto program I discovered that my new T.V. is now receiving Digital channels and the HD channels Comcast offers. I have no Cable Box or Card... What is really odd is many of the HD and Digital channels are coming in on ###.# (sub channels). For example, FOX HD is channel 126.3, CBS HD is 122.1.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can I expect this after I move to a new house in January and have my current service transferred?

Regards,
JP

Silver Member

Deep in the ... U.S.

Post Number: 496
This is a normal experience for people with a DCR TV. All locally broadcast channels are sent through in the clear, meaning you should be able to get them without paying additional fees. Enjoy

brucekai
Unregistered guest
I have the same situation as Anonymous above. However, I also pick up my neighbor's on-demand (I can see them rewind and fast forward through programs). However, if I decide to subscribe to digital cable to get ESPN HD, Discovery HD, etc, will I lose the ability to watch my neighbor's on-demand programming?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us