Which type of tv should I go with, uses included.

Username: Chaldod248

Post Number: 1
I'm planning on buying a new tv, I have a price range around 3,000 or more. I'm looking in the size range of 50"-60". I plan on using the tv for cable or dish (hdtv), Movies (dvd and occasional vhs), I also may want to play some video games on the tv, but I can sacrafice that if the tv has burn-in issues. The tv will be placed in a room with many windows, so I need one that does not lose quality in the sun light.

Post Number: 2
Also, I've been looking at DLP's, LCOS, Plasma, LCD flat and RP. I'm open to all brands, just looking for what has the best picture quality and conforms to all my uses.

Bronze Member
Username: Dmwiley

Post Number: 87
Every tv "loses quality in the sunlight" If you really want the best picture, regardless of tv type, you must tightly control room lighting. CRTs still give the best and brightess pictures, but I don't believe they make them in the size you seek.

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 131
Best PQ in a brightly lit room? The hands-down winner would be plasma!

Most burn-in issues playing games? That would be plasma also!

Heh! What can I tell you? It's an imperfect world, you know?

Everything is a compromise! That's why there are so many competing technologies...

Silver Member
Username: Vindsl

Post Number: 132
Re-reading the first post, I don't know if I gave you the answer you were looking for...

Look, here's what I do:

After looking at big screen TV's for probably 10 years (no kidding), and looking seriously for the last two of those years, I bought a Sony Grand Wega. The second I saw it, I knew it was 'the one.' And, I have not regretted it...

Is the Sony Grand Wega perfect? No! It's a RPTV, so I know I'm gonna have to replace the $200 lamp every once in a while, yada, yada, yada, but I didn't feel like waiting another 10 years for something better.

At some point, you're gonna have to 'hold your nose' and jump in...

Having said that, I use the Sony for most viewing, analog TV, DTV, HDTV, DVD, VHS, 8MM, et cetera. It's in a brightly lit room and it works fine, but I know plasma would be better. That's why 'they' use plasma displays in bank lobbies, shopping malls, as so forth.

For playing games, I use a flat-screen CRT on a roll-around cart. The games look better on a smaller screen anyway, plus I don't lose any valuable component inputs on the Sony. The cart gives me a convenient place to store all the various game boxes, controllers, et cetera. And the cart makes it portable, moving from room-to-room without doing a bunch of attaching, detaching, and rettachinging of fragile cables on fragile connectors.

I might also add, nothing pisses me off more than having to wait my turn to watch a DVD because someone is in the middle of "Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005" or whatever. Grrr...

I know you didn't ask, but I also have a 13-inch portable TV (20 lbs.) for carrying around by hand. That comes in handy for a lot of stuff too...

So, I guess what I'm saying is, there is no perfect TV. Different situations require different solutions. Some ppl try to use their 'big screen' TV's for everything, including surfing the web. Whatever!

Post Number: 3
Thanks for the replies, especially vin. I was looking at the Sony grand wega LCD rp tv, is that the one you're talking about? I also read some reviews that said it needed a technician to make the colors really look good, did you need to do anything like that or have you heard of anything like that. I'm seeing your point about just playing videogames on my crt, which I do now. Now that I'm thinking about it, it might actually be better.

Dale
I know that the TV won't be as great in sun light as it would be in a dark room, but I'm looking for a tv with great picture that is still usable in sun light. The big screen I have now is almost unwatchable during the sun light. I either watch some type of bright show (cartoon) or just turn it to espn news since anything else is just shadows.

Anonymous

Sony Grand Wega best practical/multi-purpose HD overall ($2500 to 3500) and if you get finally get some good shades and decide to actually experience an HD movie instead of just watching one - the PANASONIC AE700u front projector LCD with 92" or larger screen ($2200 plus $200 for screen) which blows away 99% of what you have ever viewed via demo in any store
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us