Motorola DCT 6416 dvr

Bronze Member
Username: Retiredjetp

Post Number: 33
Q. If I'm watching a program in progress and want to record it, can I record from the beginning?

Bronze Member
Username: Formerly_fx

Post Number: 20
If you have been tuned to the same channel from the beginning of the show then yes. Otherwise no.

xvxvxvx

Username: Bobcin_socal

Post Number: 1
Will a previously set-up recording of a program record it, if at the time the program starts the 6416 DVR is turned off?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 190
Yes as long as it has power (plugged into a live AC outlet). The HDD is always spinning and the DVR is always recording in it's dual buffers. That is why the answer to the OP's question was yes as well. All your timer does is change to correct channel if necessary, save the data for the length of the recording and title it in your replay list.

xvxvxvx

Username: Niteglo

OK, I've spent the night searching and am disappointed. Brought home my new DCT6416 that I bought in preparation for delivery of my new Plasma HDTV. Went to hook up the DCT6416 only to hit a road block. I am hooking it up to an old Sony TV, that does not have S-Video, just the "in" audio/video jacks and RF input. So, I have the cable into the DCt6416 box, and the audio/video jacks to the TV. (surprised the DCT6416 doesn't have an RF "out" on it). Anyways, all is workign good for the above, but went to hook up my DVD player (not recorder)m and BAM, roadblock. I have the audio out from my DVD player to my stereo, and the video out from my DVD player to the "video in" jack at the back of my DCT6416 box. Nothing, audio is coming through my stereo OK, but no pic to the TV.

From what I have read tonight, seems Motorola, or SHAW has the video In jack disabled?? Any ideo why? Or, more importantly, is there a way to get around this? Any suggestiosn would be HUGELY appreciated.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 197
"From what I have read tonight, seems Motorola, or SHAW has the video In jack disabled?? Any ideo why? Or, more importantly, is there a way to get around this? Any suggestiosn would be HUGELY appreciated."

Every cable system in the country orders the Moto boxes with the video inputs disabled. No solution for you Rob until you get your plasma. Why don't you just use the coax connection (without the cable box) till your new display is dellivered?

xvxvxvx

Username: Crnhskr

I have a program recorded on my DVR. I would like to transfer it to my computer and the burn it to a DVD. Can this be done? And, How is it done if possible? Thank you!

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 217
Ron,

You need to tell us what type of input connection is on your video card. It must be an analog input of some kind like S-Video for instance.

xvxvxvx

Username: Cadman

I have the DCt6416 that came with my cable subscriber. The problem I have is program recording.
The manual says that I should be able to record two programs simultaneosly, record and watch another program, etc.

What's happening is:
On a schedule program, if I should turn off the system, it will adivse that it's recording and if shut off the system the program will stop recording, the other option is to cancel powering off and continue to cancel.

Recording 2 programs at one time, I have to watch one that I recording or I have to cancel the recording to switch to another channel.

Any way to get the box to work properly?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 219
Gary,

Are you sure you have a dual tuner model? It sounds like your STB is a DCT-6208 not a 6416. What cable company do you have?

xvxvxvx

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 220
Also are you swapping tuners when you try to change channels? If you are punching in a new channel number while recording that is the problem.

xvxvxvx

Username: Cadman

Post Number: 2
SD,
The cable company is SuddenLink.
The manual, and faceplate state that it's a 6416.
What is a stb?
Swapping tuners? Not certain what you mean.
If I do and instant record, I can't change a channels? Sees odd, I was able to do that at Comcast (not certain the kind of box I had though). If I pre-record, and decide to shut down for the night, it warns me if I continue my action, it will cancel it as well. Cancel seems to be a common term with this unit.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 225
Gary,

STB = Set Top Box, short for your cable box. The problem is with your cable company, it appears they have only firmware enabled a single tuner on your dual tuner stb. Not much you can do about that, asking them to change the firmware isn't going to help until they are prepared to upgrade everyones's firmware with a mass update.

Your remote control should have a "Swap" button somewhere on the lower left hand area of it. If not this is a sure sign your cable company doesn't utilize the full capability of the Motorola DCT-6416.

xvxvxvx

Username: Toneedo

Santa Ana, CA United States

I konw for sure the 6416 can record 2 programs simultaneously..i konw because i did it before but for a couple months back..but for some reason, time warner "flip" the switch and now made it 1 tuner. I called time warner about this and their reps told me yea they changed the system and until further notice..we're stuck with a 1 tuner limitation. If it helps, i have Time Warner in Santa Ana, CA.

Username: Imagerep

Westlake Village, CA

Post Number: 4
Here's a new post regarding the 6416. I currently use the older Motorola BMC9012 80GB HD DVR that is now being replaced by Time Warner to the 6416 (Thank God!). I will be receiving the 6416 in a couple weeks from Time Warner as a replacement. One thing (of many) I hate about the 9012 is there is no DUAL video o/p's for both DVI and the Composite Video o/p's. I use the DVI for the main HDTV, but I would like the Composite Video o/p to send the same signal to the SDTV above our Bar. This dual output worked great with a much older Motorola box (pre HD/DVR days).

So in other words, does anyone know if the 6416, when using the HDMI out, simultaneously sends the same signal to the Composite Video out?

Bronze Member
Username: Emerson1

Post Number: 12
I have sudden link aswell and I just got this box today. Right when he hooked it up I was able to use the dual tuners. Not sure why you can't, you might wanna call and ask them what is wrong or have someone come out and take a look.

Username: Imagerep

Westlake Village, CA

Post Number: 5
I was saying the current box I have, the 9012, that function does not work. I am hoping the 6416 will allow me to o/p both the HMDI and Composite Video (or RF for that matter) at the same time.

Username: Redneck_mud_runner

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 6
here's a nice little trick for the moto 64xx and the 34xx series provided from comcast
there is a way to enable a 30 second skip, for some reason comcast has disabled this feature in their remotes, but not in the firmware in most cases.

If you have the silver comcast remote you can do it yourself

1) Press 'CABLE'
2) Press and hold 'SETUP' until the light flashes
3) Enter '994'
4) Press 'SETUP' once again
5) Enter '00173'(just 173 if that dont work)
6) Now press the unused button you want it mapped
to (I used the A/LOCK button just below the 10
second back button)

if you happen to make a mistake and mess up you remote you can reset it

The following technique can be used to restore the original function to all remapped keys for a device.

1) Press and hold the "Setup" key until the a
device button blinks twice.
2) Type in the code 994. A device key will blink
twice.
3) Press the device key you are restoring twice.
The device key will blink twice if successful.

Username: Leenie

I brought home my new DCT 6416 and hooked it up last night. I have audio, but no video. My tv is 10 years old so needless to say it is not HD (getting one eventually). So the back of the tv has only audio video outputs, S Video and Coaxial. The only way I can get video is to connect the coaxial directly into my tv from the wall. My old digital box had coaxial going in and out so that's why it worked, but this new box only has coaxial going in. Any idea why the video out or S Video out won't give me video on the tv?

Figured out my own problem. Had to go into the setup of the tv and tell it that the Cable was coming from Input 1 (a/v & S Video hookup) not Channel 3 (Coaxial). All's good now. Thanks anyway.

Post Number: 3
Is there any way to enable the inputs on this box?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 237
Colleen,

The answer is yes and no, yes the cable company can do it but you cannot. Also as far as I know no cable company in the USA has them enabled at this time.

xvxvxvx

Username: Cswanger

Columbus, Ohio

New user here - got a new DCT 6416 III from Insight, my cable provider... I set it up to record a number of shows (non HD) which it appears to have done. My problem is that a number of shows that "recorded" show up on the MY DVR screen, but when I attempt to play them back, I get the sound, and the bar at the bottom of the display showing the progress of the playback along with other typical info; However, I get no video...
The unit is attached to a Sharp Aquos LC-46D62U 1080p display via HDMI - no pic; attached via component, again no pic; via RF, no pic, even tried composite and RF to a separate TV - no pic.
I have successfully played back recorded content a number of times... what gives?

Has anyone had any problems recording a series? Sometimes it works for me and sometimes it doesn't. Prior to a show being on, I'll set it up to record the show and all first run episodes thereafter. I confirm my settings and I can tell right away whether it is going to work or not if the series record icon shows up next to the show in the guide. Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 241
Hello again Coleen,

The problem is that the cable guide is inaccurate regarding the "first run" designation. If you set it for first run only you will miss many episodes. Most of us set it to record all episodes that come on a specific station at a specific time. After all it only takes three seconds to erase a repeat but you can't go back in time to recapture a missed episode.

xvxvxvx

Columbus, Ohio

Colleen,

I've had a number of issues recording series... as I mentioned in my previous post, many of the shows I had set to record (as series) in the first week I had the box seem to have recorded, but I cannot see the video output when I try to play them back... Other than that, I've had the recorder show a single red circle icon on shows that are supposed to be series, I've also had it record repeat shows (when all of my series are set up to record first run only) and most annoying of all is when it decides not to record a show in Hi-Def, and instead records the same show in standard-def (changing channels to do so!)
Another issue I've had is when I've got 1 show recording, and I try to change the channel I'm watching sometimes it will tell me that if I change the channel it will discontinue recording.
BTW - I *have* recorded 2 shows at once and watched a previously recorded show... that only worked once though! Now it appears that if I do anything (ie change channels) to the box while 2 shows are recording, it will stop one of the shows that is recording.

I kept hearing that this box was comparable in every way to the Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD DVRs - I'm not seeing that.

I'm giving my cable company another chance though - seemed like a lot of people like this box, so I'm getting another one later this week. We'll see if it is just a bad unit.

Thanks Scooby Doo and CW Swanger. Great forum! Tonight I'll give it a try and choose all episodes instead of first run and see what happens. Might as well since when episode recording does work and I tell it to record first run only I get reruns (same as CW). My cable company says there are no known issues (but what else would they say) but to give them a call if I want. I may do that while I'm trying to set up a series recording and see what they have to say then. Glad I'm not the only one, but I wonder if it is a cable company (guide) issue or a hardware (box) issue? Thanks again

Username: Donaldrw

Does anyone know how to cause the time to be displayed on the DCT6416 instead of the channel number?

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 28
Well Don, the menu is slightly different depending on the firmware you have but this should be basically the same, press menu on your remote then select 'options' or 'settings' then select 'cable box options'the you should see settings like 'ac outlet switched' and 'RF bypass'. one of these should be 'display time on box' and you will want to make sure that box is checked usually by pressing ok or select.

Hope this helps you out.

Username: Donaldrw

Thanks, I got it.

Is there anyway to get the latest firmware or does your service provider that to push that through for you. I looked at mine and I have version 12.35. I see that 16.35 fixes the problem of the dvr thinking it is 100% full so I asked them (Cogeco in Milton, Ontario) when they are going to upgrade and they said they had no ETA. Frustrating! What is the point of buying a dvr that won't record because it thinks it's full when it's not.

Username: K5489

My 6416 sounds like it has crickets in it. Does anyone else have this problem? I'm guessing that it's the hard drive?

Bronze Member
Username: Emerson1

Post Number: 15
Has anyone had a problem with theirs freezing up? If I am going inbetween HD recordings it will sometimes freeze. I have to unplug the system entirely, it's like all the memory gets filled up.

Username: Tedman

I was looking for an answer to a question and found it asked on this form by someone else. The reply was a request for more information. So I joined the form to ask the same question & here's hopefully the info you need to give an answer.
I have RCN Cable and a Motorola DCT6416 box. I have a MacBook Pro laptop (USB 2, Firewire & Eithernet connections).
Friday we recorded some shows and now we can't view any of our recorded shows, even those we could watch before.
Called the cable company, and she refreashed the box, now we can't even watch the TV through the box.
So,
We'd like to copy off some, or all, of the shows on the box before the cable guy comes to fix our system and maybe switch our box.
Any buddy got advice?

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 266
Ted,

Your question has already been answered above in this thread. However if your box will not currently replay the recordings you will not be able to record to your MAC either.

nd no, you cannot capture it directly from the disk, but if it was replaying you can capture the data via firewire.

xvxvxvx

Scooby,
Is this the answer that you mean?

You need to tell us what type of input connection is on your video card. It must be an analog input of some kind like S-Video for instance.

Fogive me for being a little slow, but I didn't think that was enough. However, I see by your recent reply that I'm pretty much ... stuck.
But, when we do get this fixed, are you saying that if I hook my Mac up thru the Firewire connections, I can then transfer shows to my HD while they're playing? If so, could you give me more details? Remember, I'm a little slow on this, so I'd appretiate details.
Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 267
Ted,

Personally I have never come across anyone with a MAC foing this but since MAC's are generally more user friendly than PC's I suspect it can be done.

To do it on a PC ittakes multiple steps, careful configuration and a free piece of downloadable softure called, I think, HD Capture.

xvxvxvx

Scooby,
Well, things seem to be back to normal, so that takes the pressure off. For now.
And, I did find, on another forum, the details for downloading shows with Windows XP & firewire & some software (maybe that HD Capture). I can look for similar software for the Mac. Then take it from there.
I thank you for your help & information.
Wish me luck.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 268
Congrats Ted, glad you got your recordings back. Good luck with the firewire recording, hope you get it to work. I'm pretty sure you found the procedure on AVS forums, if not it is there to read and utilize.

xvxvxvx

Username: Dabearxx

Anyone know how to delete a recording on the 6416 dated 12/31/1989? Won't let me delete it and can't record anything else. Any help would be appreciated.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 273
Wow, haven't seen that one in a long while. Press and hold the Power button on the unit itself, not on the remote, untill it resets. When it comes back up that ghost recording should be gone. If that doesn't work just ask your cable company for a new box.

xvxvxvx

Username: Higgy25

Prince George, British Colu... CANADA

My question may have been answered elsewhere, but I cannot find it.
Is it possible to upgrade the hard drive that comes preinstalled with the DCT6416?
}

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 274
Not sure what you mean by "upgrade" Glen????? If you mean replace it with a larger HDD for additional recording time the answer has two parts:

1) Yes you can replace it with a compatible Maxtor HDD
2) No, it will not allow you additional recording time.

The reason is the new HDD is partitioned and formatted like it is the same size HDD as the original, the additional space cannot be used by the STB's operating system.

xvxvxvx

Username: Janets98

TN

I am new to the world of DVR. I switched today from a Moxi box to the DCT6416. Is there an FAQ page I could read before I bore everyone with a newbie's redundant questions?

So in other words the firmware and / or software has full control over how big the partitions are?

Thanks for the reply Scooby Doo, that helps solve that problem.

So it is not possible to pull the drive out install it into my computer, copy the contents of the drive to a new larger compatible drive using something like Partition Magic? Would it just get overwritten with the firmware or software presets then? I know it's a lot of work, but I have all the software like partition magic to copy the contents and resize existing partitions.
Is the data on the drive even readable in a computer? or is it some foreign partition table?

I have done this on another device (non audio/video related) in the past and that worked to give it more space to work with.

Username: Dcrane1992

Los angeles, Ca Usa

I have a motorola 6416 and when I press swap to change the channel when I am recording i get "one moment please" - the channel should be available shortly. does anyone know what this means

TN

I don't get that - or at least I haven't yet. But when I'm recording two stations at the same time sometime I can switch channels to watch another station and sometimes I can't. I haven't yet figured out why. Also, sometimes the box says rec and sometimes it doesn't. I wish I had an instruction manual to sort some of this stuff out but the installer didn't leave me with anything at all.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 275
The 6416 should always allow you to swap tuners to watch either show while it is recording. The only way to watch a different program while recording on both live tuners is to watch a show previously recorded on the DVR.

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 32
In Washington State, for some reason, Comcast has disabled the 'SWAP' function, as well as the '30 second skip' in the Microsoft F.E. 1.7 firmware on the 64xx and 34xx DVR's. Even if you program these functions into your remote they will do nothing.

If you want to swap between two programs that are currently recording you either have to key in the channel number, or go into 'MY DVR', highlight the program you want to watch, select it, then hit "Watch Live'

Username: Rusman

I have a Motorola 6416 DVR. When I go to the Guide the TV Screen in the top right corner only displays about a quarter of the picture. Is this normal.

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 276
Yes it is nomal, how much of the picture do you think should be displayed?

xvxvxvx

Username: Scorpiowolfman

Prescott, Az United states

have a 6416 with cable one the problem is that when you change programs weather its anolg to digital or hbo to hbo channels the sound volume is not close to constant
it would seem to me that there must be a way that the dvr can buffer the adio to a more constant sound volume level

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 278
""it would seem to me that there must be a way that the dvr can buffer the adio to a more constant sound volume level"

Sure it is possible in theory, it is called AGC, but in practice you will never see it happen, no cable boxes do this, in fact to be sure you understand it is not the fault of your cable box or of your cable company. It is the network broadcast that determines initial volume levels. Why do you think commercials scream at you to get your attention?

xvxvxvx

Username: S_hornsby

i have a 6416 dvr box through comcast. my laptop has a tv tuner on it with coax, svideo, and av inputs. is there anyway to transfers recorded content on my dvr box straight to my laptop or external HD via the ethernet port on back side, or usb, or firewire so i dont have to play the movie on the stb while recording on my laptop via tv tuner, because that way is very time consuming???

Silver Member

Dallas, Tx

Post Number: 279
No

xvxvxvx

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 34
Shaun, you can, if you have the right software, save the content on the 64xx and 34xx to your laptop or pc using the firewire port, this would give you much better PQ than if you did it with the tv tuner card, but you would still have to play it on the STB and record it real time, Scooby is right, there is no way to directly access the files on the DVR at this time.

Username: S_hornsby

ok thanks. do u know which software i would need to record it via firewire??

Username: Mackita

I have a 6146 and my remote (dr800) has no "setup" button. Can someone tell me how to program the 30 sec skip?

Username: Missionsnickers

Yesterday, my cable froze for the 20th time, so I unplugged the power cable. When I plugged it back in, the signal wouldn't come back on. Even though I called RCN and they refreshed the signal, the box continues to cycle between 88:88, 12:00, and the current time before fading to black. Has anyone else come across this problem? I'm afraid I need a new box - which is really unfortunate as I have episodes from favorite shows lovingly saved for the past year.

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 36
did you try power cycling again after they sent the signal? you might want to try this first.

What kind of DVR do you have, if it is a motorola 64xx or 34xx you might want to reset the box yourself, however this may clear all your recordings and you seem to want to avoid this.

Another thing that I suspect is signal strength, these DVR's are really picky about signal quality, and you mentioned it had frozen for the 20th time.
You want to make sure that the DVR has a good strong signal, so if you have multiple splitters make sure that the first one is a good quality one and feed your DVR (also your cable modem if you have one) from this firs split. Also you want to look at your connections and make sure they are tight (not too tight though) also they need to be dry. Look at your coax cables and make sure they are all intact, for some reason dogs and even some rodents like to chew on these.

If you dont want to do this yourself your cable company will come out and do it for you, there is usually no charge for this for Comcast customers (at the technician's discretion), but some cable companies will charge you.

If this does not work i suspect you eill have to replace your DVR. Good Luck

Username: Gerrypeters

Interesting Shaw has been telling me for a year that I am the only one they know of that is having this freezing issue (they say that despite the fact that several of their tech has told they have had the same prob.) I think we have it worked out now and it did seem to be a signal strength problam (broken line in the built in wireing in the house)

Username: Gerrypeters

I understand there is a way to program the DTC6416 to skip commercials when recording, does anyone know how?

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 40
There is no way to do that, the best thing you can do is to use the 30 second skip to skip them while you are playing the recording.

Username: Shudogg

I have the 6416. It would be awesome to be able to use the RCA jacks on the front, they are rather teasing. I had to buy a separate RCA switch box for my dvdplayer, 360, and such.. Wouldn't have had to if the jacks on the front worked. From what I have read, it is impossible to enable them. As well as the other "dead" jacks on the box. Is there any cool use for this thing? I am looking for any tips/tricks/hacks that can be done with this box similar to the 30 second skip. I want to make it as personal as I can. I don't think the RCA jacks on the front is too much to ask for.

Post Number: 7
Can someone tell me where this 30 second skip is? Sounds very handy, but I don't see it anywhere on my remote.

Bronze Member

Shelton, WA Mason

Post Number: 41
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/How_to_use_a_Motorola_DVR/Programming_the_Remote#Ad d_30-Second_Skip

Here is the instructions on adding a 30 second skip to the comcast 'silver' remotes. ( note: if you are in Washington State, the 30 second skip will not work, ast least not till we get the new guide

Bronze Member
Username: Retiredjetp

Post Number: 37
I don't have the swap button on my remote, it's a cox cable black remote, but I do have the dual tuner 6416 III. How can I get the tuner on the station I'm watching to remain on that station so when I flip back to it I can rewind and watch what I missed.

Chuck

Post Number: 8
I'm actually in Ontario, Canada and have a Cogeco black remote. I did try the programming instructions for the silver comcast remote, but it didn't work. Any idea how to program it on my remote? Thanks.

Username: Dunninla

Hello. Just upgraded to TimeWarner digital cable in LA.

I cannot seem to find an instruction manual online for the DCT 6416. The online stuff seems to talk only about how to set it up, not how to actually use it.

I have two specific questions:

Is there a way to eliminate from the DVR itself recognition of all the spanish, Korean and Shopping channels so that they don't appear in the Guide at all when I scroll through? To me it's just clutter. On a normal TV I can remove channels from the tuner, so that when I scroll through, they do not exist (off course I can add them back later if I want). Can the same be done with this DVR?

I have programmed the Heart Symbol (Favorites) with about 20 channels. Now I cannot figure out how to remove some Favorites and add more.

Username: Inthebubble

Larry,
New to this device as well and just found this pdf. Hopefully it's what we're both looking for.

http://broadband.motorola.com/consumers/products/DCT6412/downloads/TVGuide_DVR_M anual.pdf

Thanks to this forum I realize we're all in the same boat. Hope this helps.

Username: 2coolbaby

Culleoka, TN USA

I hvave Charter 6416 DVR . My remote does not have a setup button. Anyone know what button can be used as the setup button to program this. Hopefully the 30 second skip.

I too have the problem with setting a series recording to only record new and it records every instance of it all week. Really made me mad tonight, as I was watching something that had been paused while I fixed dinner and it swtiched channels in the middle of it to record a rerun! I missed the last 30 minutes of the movie, because in realtime the movie was over. They really need to work out that issue!

I guess you could go in and view future recordings for the week and remove all the reruns. I have no problem with it not scheduling a show fortunately.

Username: Jaivh

My question is so simple I feel ashamed to ask it.

Now that I have recorded a show, how do I go about playing what I have recorded?

TN

Click on MENU, then MY RECORDINGS. Then click on the recording you want and the play button. At the end you'll be asked if you want to delete it or not and you can make a choice.

TN

Oops, I left out a step. Click on MENU, Then DVR, then MY RECORDINGS. Sorry for the oversight.

Username: Jasond9263

Does anyone know of any eSATA hard drives that are compatible with the Motorola DCT6416 series 3. I recently switch from Dish to Cable and didn't realize just how much a differnce the smaller drive would make on HD recording times.

I called Cox in Tulsa, OK and they gave me the official un-official answer that it will work, but they will not admit to it answer.

I've tried googling it, but haven't found any info execpt for using one with the scientific atlantic boxes.

Thanks,
Jason

Username: Mrbillb

Searcy, AR USA

Can the eSata jack on the back of the DCT6416 III be used to add more storage?

Username: Cosette

Atlanta, Georgia USA

My cable company had to send a new signal to my Motorola 6416 DVR. After they sent the signal, all of my prior saved recordings were gone. I called the cable company who said this wasn't possible. Are shows erased when the DVR is re-booted?

Username: Cmb12000

So, the front and rear input jacks, may or may not be able to be turned on by my cable company.

I have COX cable, and these guys are pretty much trying to rule the world. So I doubt if they would be any help.

Does anyone know of a way to get these inputs to work?

Username: Yabigchoob

Cobourg, Ontario Canada

Q I recently brought my moto 6416 box from bc to ontario and when i hook it up to cogeco it gets the basic channels and nothing else not even the guide, does it need a firmware update or am i doing something wrong? please help

Username: Net_denizen

I have Motorola 6416 Phase 4 and want to know what RF (not IR) remote control I can use with it(I want to hide the DVR out of sight). The remote it comes with it is an IR type and the folks at Time warner cable (Socal) have no clue what RF remote control is. Any info about compatible RF remote control appreciated.
thanks

Username: Wscsuperfan

My cable company just upgraded to the 6416 boxes....but I don't have the silver remote. Instead I have the Clickr-5 (UR5U-8720L) universal remote. Is there a way to program a 30-second skip with these remotes?

Username: Burtb54

Has anyone tried clearing the memory and using a cable Filter to open up more cannels on the Motorola 6416 Phase 3.
need some feed back before I do it Thanks to anyone with some info

Username: Xbillyx

Stratford, PE Canada

I have the Motorola DCT6416 III and have service with Eastlink (I'm in Canada).

There is no Setup button on my remote. How can I program my remote to skip 30 seconds?

Thanks.

Username: Rockscreation16

I've ordered a digital cable filter. In the instructions your told to clear the memory of the device before removing the filter for it to work properly. The instructions I received explained 10+ ways to reset the device and wipe its PPV memory. Does anyone know a proper procedure to do this with the dct6416? Also, does anyone have any input on these digital cable filters?

Username: Cable_service_rep

Norht bay, Ontario Canada

the only time the 6416 hddvr will show rec on the display is when you are on the channel that you are recording or if you are recording 2 programs at the same time ,and the front and back a/v inputs on the box have been disabled by the manufacturer not by the cable company the cable service providers get them from a supplier not from the motorola company itself and yes the hddvr can not be turned off during a recording or it will stop the recording then you will only have half a recording the best thing to do with the dvr is to leave it on

Username: Graymaster

This is really annoying and havent read the answer anywhere in this thread so far. I have the Motorola DCT 6416 and the recorded shows worked fine for the first month. Now, no recorded shows will play, it just comes up with a black screen when I try to play one. I also cant pause live tv, because when i press play, its a black screen. I so far can't find the answer any where.

Username: Cable_service_rep

Norht bay, Ontario Canada

jeremy the answer to your question is simple the only way to get your recordings to show again is to reset the box try to disconnect the power cord for a few seconds and then plug it back in that should solve the problem also once you have plugged it back in let it come back on by itself it has to power cycle once you have the correct time showing on the box then go to your recordings and they should play,also the guide will show to be announced do not worry give it about half hour to 45min and it will be working again

Username: Tvn300

I subscribe to Comcast HD service, and have a Motorola 6412 box to process the HD signal. I want to add a 2nd High Def TV, but purchase my own Motorola 6412 (or similar) box. Will this work?

Username: Boiler73

is there a way to run two tv's off of the motorola DCT6416III? I have my dvr hooked up to my plasma in our basement and can easily run a cable to a television in my exercise room to watch, but I am not sure how to hook it up

My Current setup from the DVR has the Coax cable running through the house to my computer (essentially a second tv) and the RCA connections to the TV beside the DVR.
OR you can use a cable splitter and split your coax cable out to multiple TV's.

Username: Treedmn

Is there a remote control with bigger buttons which works with a DCT 6416 III box? My cable company upgraded me from my Moxi box. I have Cerebral Palsy and while I can manage this remote control, I want to see if better options are available. I had no problems with the Moxi remote.

Username: Grm

I'm getting sick of the quirks of Motorola DVRs...

I had a 6412 before I moved. I then was given a Moxy through Charter. Two or three bricked on me, so they gave me a 6416. I was hopeful some of the quirks had been worked out, but I was wrong. To its credit, it hasn't had the freeze-and-queue-up-78-commands-to-execute-all-at-once fun of the 6412.

- You can't tell it not to record two things simultaneously. If two series shows are on at the same time, and they are both repeats, you have to record one.
- You can't tell it to start one minute late. Say one show is 7-8:01, one 8-9, and one 8-8:30 on the same night. You can't record both of the ones that start at 8. It would be nice if it could start the minute late. (Contrived scenario? Nope. Terminator runs 61 minutes, ending at 1 minute after the hour).
- If you delete (modify?) a series recording, any repeat series shows you've told it not to record will not be set to record again.
- On a heavy recording night, it will sometimes decide it doesn't want to record much/all of something. Recording 1 minute of the #1 series in my priorities... not cool. (I wasn't home to accidentally hit something to stop it)
- Most recently, deleting some of the series on its own. I have no idea on this one, but yesterday evening I luckily checked upcoming recordings (I do fairly often to remove repeats it thinks are new) and saw that at least three series vanished from my list. The lucky part was that this was about fifteen minutes before the first recorded, with two of them being recorded that night.
- I've had a 6412 completely refuse to record something on NBC. Luckily I was home and noticed it not in the "My Recordings" one minute into it when I was planning on watching something else.

To be fair, I have opened a ticket with them on the first issue and I need to get them firmware versions; but I still can't believe how many glaring issues made it through quality control.

I can't see throwing the thing out and going DVR-less now that I've tasted it. I've considered going the TiVo + cablecard route. Anyone found a DVR that doesn't have completely flaky firmware and/or hardware?

Between the usage restrictions (inability to offload data) and huge volume discrepancies with commercials, it's almost like they're trying to push us to acquiring the shows somewhere else than by them airing them.

Username: Cystmx

Can someone explain in detail how to reset the DVR box? I googled it and found something for all Motorola boxes and when I follow the directions, I'm not getting the same results.

Columbus, Ohio

I have a 6416 III - it is the third one my cable company (Insight Columbus Ohio) has installed, and I have had repetitive problems with all of them. The problem I fight most is delays when I try to change channels, access DVR, FF, RW, Pause, Play, or anything else on the remote or on the front panel of the DVR. Sometimes the unit will "queue" all of the buttons I've pushed and after a delay of 2 to 15 seconds, it'll do everything asked one keystroke at a time. Other times the box ignores all commands for 5-30 seconds, and then start responding again.

I read on another board that someone had figured out that this only happens when HDMI connected to Panasonic and a few other TVs, and that if you shine a flashlight at the IR receiver when using the remote, the 6416 will react *most of the time* So - I have a Panasonic plasma HDTV, attached of course by HDMI.... and the flashlight trick works most of the time! What is the problem here? I've tried 4 boxes, 5 remotes, and 2 HDMI cables... nothing changes. I am seriously considering switching to Satellite, (more $$$) but thought I'd give it one last try.

Any ideas how to fix this, or what to ask my cable company or Motorola to do?

Username: Eco_dude

Hi,

We have a Motorola DCT6416 with Cogeco (Burlington) ... I bought a 1TB WD HDD ... and after powering down the PVR ... hooking up the external HDD ... and then powering up the PVR ... it would not go into format mode.

We tried switching from the HDMI cable ... to the component video cables ... still no success! ARRRGGGGG!!!!!

Can anyone help me .... PLEASE!!!!!

Craig

Username: Mr_zaq

Trois-rivieres, Quebec Canada

Hi! I have a Motorola DCT 6416 DVR.

How do I transfer my movies on my computer with a USB cable.

Please give me some simple explanations because my English is very bad!

Thank you for your help!

Username: Wranglery

My cable company is Shaw in BC. I chatted with a customer rep about adding an external HD to extend the 160GB HD in the terminal. I was told only eSATA HD will work, no USB connection. Here is a thread maybe very helpful to people thinking to add an external HD:
http://forums.ncix.com/forums/?mode=showthread&forum=116&threadid=2087676&pagenu mber=1&msgcount=11&subpage=1&product_id=39419
I just connected an 1TB eSATA HD tonight (brand is Cavalry). I connected it to the Motorola first. When I turned on the TV and the Moto, the Moto would not turn on at all. I had to unplug the ext HD and then the Moto would turn on. Then I re-connect the ext HD and now it asked me to format the HD. One program that I stored on the 160GB internal HD is gone.
At the moment, I can't tell if the Moto will recognize the new ext HD as there is no menu for me to see how much storage I have now. It only shows 0% full.
Hope this helps!

Username: Maff68

Hello
I have a motorola DCT 6412 120gb dual tuner which I use with my Cogeco cable service in Ontario Canada. I bought the unit refurbished on Ebay for a steal. It has been working great for the last 2 years. Just recently I've been having issues with the PVR. When I watch the show I've recorded, every 10-15 seconds the picture will scramble and sound will go off. It will last for about 5 seconds and then keep playing. This continues for the entire recording. Makes it almost impossible to watch anything I've recorded. Watching regular TV is fine. I was thinking maybe the hard drive is ready to go.

Any thoughts. Can this be fixed?

Username: Dsschaser

Grimsby, Ontario

How do I get my favourite channels to show up when I press the guide button? Currently, I have to go the fav channel section and then select my fav channel list to view my channels. Where, if I press the guide button, the current default is always all channels. I would like this guide to display my defaults - all, fav 1 , fav 2 etc.

Username: Rexxer49

Recently purchased a motorola dct 6416 off ebay. It came from an unknown provider in california. I live in northern ontario with Eastlink as my provider. I had the box added to my account however the problem is that all of the guide information ( Tv stations, networks, time zone everything ) is wrong and wont update. I am wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how I can update the programming or software or something. I did the cold reboot, the Power menu DL and still the same.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

Username: Wacqo

Quebec Canada

I just received my DCT6416 from Cogeco. Setup was fine but after 5-10 minutes the screen went black. channel up then down again fixed it, but it kept doing it. I called Cogeco and they reset the signal and seemed fine but started again within the hour. It also stops any recording I had going then restarts when the signal comes back on. Every single time the screen goes black, changing channels fixes it. Does anyone know if this is a problem with the receiver?

Username: Frankene

Dexter series dvd

Username: Dvrcomputer

I have a DVR and have recorded some stuff that I'd like to have on my computer. Can this be done?

Username: Dylanger

If you are talking about transferring the video from the dvr to the pc then no. but you can buy a video capture card and hook that up to your pc and do it that way.

Username: Unruly

Las Vegas, NV USA

I have one of these DCT6416iii boxes and would like to cancel a repeating manual recording I set up months ago. I don't want to cancel all other recordings though. We have HD and standard-def channels for this station and both are being manually recorded M-F repeating each week. I have to go in every weekend and "cancel this recording" for every day of the week on both channels or I run out of space very quickly, because it records about 3 hours on both channels. Any help?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us