Archive through January 11, 2005

Unregistered guest
Well, there is some great info here and I have now started to negotiate prices with my local Home Theater Store, Tweeter, and UE. Right now Home Theater is offering the 62725, 5 year warranty, delivery for $4,400. I think I can get this down a little bit more as the salesguy said he would be willing to match any price from an authorized dealer.

I am in the Fort Worth area and If anyone can provide a better receipt I would greatly appreciate it. My email is jasonelliott@1scom.net.

Thanks for all the helpful info!

JS
Unregistered guest
I've had my 62725 for a month now and thought I would give my opinions about a few issues we see a lot on this message board.

First, I purchased the set from Showcase Home Entertainment, a Tweeter Company, in the Phoenix area for $3999 as part of a complete home entertainment system for a new house. I have it connected to Cox Digital HD Cable and use an external HD cable box.

1) General Picture quality: Contrast/Brightness/Color were perfect after the installer made a few minor adjustments. HD channels from cable are perfect (nothing more to say). Non HD/Digital channels are good, but it obviously more a cable issue than a TV issue. As you would expect DVD picture quality is also perfect. I use the HDMI port to connect to the DVD player.

2) Glare: The 62725 is somewhat better than the 62525. In my home its not much of an issue. In my viewing room only 2 small windows provide glare during the day. Blackout shades solved that problem. Ambient room light reflecting off of walls/furniture/etc can be seen on the screen with the TV off but when its on you don't notice it. I've tried it with and without the "Non-glare" screen and I feel the picture looks a little better with the screen on. Not really sure why. So I've decided to leave the screen on.

Rainbow Effect: This is interesting! I read about it before I bought the set but did not notice it in the store. With the TV home I only notice it under very specific conditions. If I'm intently watching the TV, eyes focused on the screen I never see it (even when blinking). If I'm casually watching TV, while eating, reading the newspaper, walking through the room, it will appear for a fraction of a second as I glance at the TV. As an engineer I find it a technical curiousity but I'm not really bothered by it.

Green Glow: Do not see it.

Lip Sync problem: Do not see it.

Fan Noise: Probably my only concern. The lamp and electronics fans are definitly noticable during quite portions of the TV program. The one fan which is on all the time is less noticable during the day (a lot of ambient noise in my house/neighborhood) but if its late at night, the TV is off, and I want to read the paper or a book, it is a little distracting. I think my system setup might be contributing to the noise since the TV is currently on a fairly tall temporary stand and its in a alcove that might be amplifying the fan noise. Eventually it will be in some custom cabinets and I might try experimenting with some sound absorbing foam panels I have. I have to admit that after having the set for 3 weeks its become less distracting. I don't know it the brain starts to filter it out. At this time I plan on accepting it as a necesary evil of this type of TV. Althouh I hear other DLP TV's have less noticeable fan noise I don't have the time to keep returning TV's until I find the perfect one. (I don't think one exists)

I hope this helps anyone considering buying any DLP TV or specifically the 62725.

Unregistered guest
I purchased the 62725 in October and the lamp has already gone out. Has anyone else had this problem? Mitsubishi said that they will overnight a new lamp to me but it hasn't come yet. Their service personnel are very hard to contact and they keep you on hold for hours. I am talking to the salesman to replace it rather than wait for a lamp to come.

Bronze Member
Username: Pitburger

Post Number: 22
Tdubya - Mine is about the same age. I am getting a notice on power up, "have you replaced bulb, hit enter for Y or cancel for N"
Did you get this message too before it went out?

Unregistered guest
Bought my 62725 today at Ultimate Electronics in Roseville, MN.

Got the TV for $3750, thanks to the reciept i was emailed.
The 5-year warranty for $499.95, the Bello AVS 2601 for 599.95, a Panasonic S97S HDMI DVD Player for 300, and a Monster power HTS2600 for 499.95.

All together after taxes and delivery fee, I paid 6027.15 Not a bad price if you ask me.

Thanks to Brandon Chase for emailing me a reciept from an UE in Dallas.

Unregistered guest
Rob- Yep I started getting the same message before the lamp blew. If yours does just make them replace the TV. It will be faster than getting repaired.

Unregistered guest
Provls,

Nice deal, but you could probably get a better deal on the other items. An UE in Dallas area was going to give me the following:

62725 - $3700
Matching Stand - $200
5 year warranty - $499.95
Monster Power HTS 5100 - $570.00
Free delivery
10% off any other items such as AVR or DVD player.

It might be worth a try to try returning some of that other stuff and saying the reason why is because of the price and that you feel you should receive some type of discount (every now and then they run 12% off sales so I'd mention that and ask them if they can do that since you just bought a $3700 TV from them).

I ended up turning down the offer to get something at Costco instead though because of the "lifetime" satisfaction gurantee.

pROvIs
Unregistered guest
Well, you could have bought the tv for 50 dollars less but the rest is pretty much teh same.

The matching mitzu stand just isnt big enough for the kind of components i have. The Bello is marked at 750 in store and i got 150 off.
The dvd player they retail for 370 so 10 percent wouldnt of quite cut it to 300.
The HTS5100 you mention is quite a good deal. They told me they really couldnt change the price on Monster items because they can get in trouble but he took an extra $30 off the dvd player because of it. which is consistant with the price of the HTS 5100 (about $100 more).

Now for some of the accesories you are right i have seen them for the same price online (havent seen any cheaper) but that is without shipping which on some of these items is a big chunk of change. Tax usually makes up for this but not in all cases.

BTW for those requesting reciepts from me, First off unlinke the reciept i was given, my reciept has all my personal info on it (address, phone, etc). Also please understand that my reciept is with all these items so if you use mine they probably will want you to buy them all.

Username: Tbfox

Post Number: 3
pROvIs,

Just FYI:
Matching is typically on an individual item basis. I can imagine they would say "You need to buy everything to get that deal."

Like I and many others have done, blank out your personal information on the receipt before you give it to anyone.

As for the Mits stand, you gotta really like the high-tech modern look to buy that thing, even if you get it for $200 -- then again, maybe most people like that look and I'm the odd man out.

Post Number: 4
errr, that first sentence should have read "... can't imagine..."

Unregistered guest
You're right. Your deal is fairly comparable. Every time I see people in Best Buy, UE, etc... who are paying the actual advertised prices, I want to just butt in and tell them how much more money they could be saving.

I think they were feeding you BS about not being able to take the price down on the Monster item, but at least they gave you the savings elsewhere.

Wolf
Unregistered guest
WD-62725 came on with only a "herringbone" pattern on the entire screen. No sound or remote response. Reset resulted in the same display. Any clues?? Set is three weeks old! Know the toll-free service number and hours of operation? Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I am looking at the 725 but are all the 525,725,825 pertty much the same TV? As I understand it, the difference is the display screen and built in dvr for the 725 and 825. If you bought a 525 and replaced the display screen (i think you can buy them) with one from a 725 would you get the same picture quality of the 725 and save on price?
Anyone know of any good deals in alaska or washington area?

Username: Drchip0

Atlanta, GA

I returned to Brandsmart in Atlanta to return the HDMI, upconverting DVD player I bought with my Mitsubishi 62725 and discovered they had dropped the price to $3,500. I had bought mine the previous week for $3,700. Given that they have price protection, they credited me with the $200 difference.

I then bought a Sony DVD player at HiFi Buys (Tweeter) that upconverts and has an HDMI connection. It is great.

I have noticed some fan noise but it isn't very bothersome. I have had none of the problems with tilting or bright spots or other picture problems.

I have a CableCard from Comcast and the picture is superb but what a headache to get it installed. Whoever said we know more than the cable people is right. I had to call Comcast 12 times to find someone that knew they had CableCards and what their purpose was. It then took 4 different visits from Comcast to my home before they installed it so that it worked. Apparently the problems were at their end not with the cable card or the tv.

I have received the notation on the screen asking if I have changed the bulb. I hope that it doesn't indicate problems on the horizon.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
hc, i too am looking at the sony dvd. did a hdmi cable come with the unit. also do you mind if i ask what you paid for it. thanks

Username: Joelgua

Post Number: 1
Hello! everyone,does anyone know who is the best HD provider?voom,dishnetwork,or direct tv.

Unregistered guest
Anybody experience any failures with the WD-62725 yet? Mine died the FIFTH TIME I turned it on! All it showed was a repeating pattern, made up of alternating bars (0.75" X 0.1"), with no sound and no control from either the remote or the front panel. Reset and unplugging/replugging power did not work. The local Mitsubishi tech will talk with Mitsubishi about this issue. I'll keep you up to date.

Simon Jackson
Unregistered guest
everybody who posts seems to have purchased their wd-62725 from local distributors. anybody buy off the web? good choice or bad?

Tennessee Bob
Unregistered guest
Hey Wolf - I have the same problem, except I have sound. The pattern looks like a diagnostic to check the display. My set worked for 6 weeks. The Tweeter tech in Knoxville looked at it this morning and was going to call Mits and me this afternoon, but no call yet. I'll post what I'm told if I hear before you. I have sound however.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
tn bob, hey bob. fellow k-towner here. do you use comcast and if so did you get the cablecard. just curious if they have gotten them to work. i've been talking to a friend and she's supposed to get back to me. they are supposed to be getting the dual tuner stb's. thanks

Post Number: 5
An update after 1 week of receiving my WD-62725...

The Mits has been well-used over the past week, and so far I have little complaint. On certain digital channels, the TV gets stuck on the channel and will not switch for 30-60 seconds. This only happens sometimes, but it's quite annoying, so I find myself trying to avoid those channels. My next complaint is simply an irritation with the interface, especially with respect to adding/removing channels. It can take quite some time to auto-add channels. Then removing the "bad" channels takes some time. Also, it would seem to be impossible to simply add a digital channel if it's not tuned in at the moment (OTA). The features are great. The computer interface is quite nice. Movie playback through the computer is just about identical to playback from the DVD player. The brightness is not quite what I thought it'd be, but it's not bad. I'd rather not crank up the brightness beyond normal, reducing the bulb lifetime. I wish the TV supported an optical output, instead of simply coax since I have many optical connections to my receiver and only one digital coax connection. Regarding the digital coax output -- if the channel claims to support "surround", is it wrong that my audio receiver only shows it as Dolby 2/0? I was expecting some rear channels too?

The remote is average, but I kept it around only long enough to IR learn into my universal remote. I've had a few problems with that, but it's working okay.

Overall, I'm quite impressed. I'm still working on staining/finishing the surrounding furniture. After purchasing a new HD antennae, it's really nice getting all my local channels digitally -- this is quality I definitely never got on the analog channels. (BTW, I don't have and don't plan to subscribe to cable/satellite).

Tennessee Bob
Unregistered guest
Go Vols TnBubba - Sorry I've got Charter. They don't have cable card. I have the Motorola Moxi HD DVR however and so far it's a jewel. It's great to watch a live program while you record another, my Replay won't do that. The HD over the air broadcasts the Mits picks up are better than over cable and you can get ABC. Monday night football is amazing. I just wish the tv worked.

tnbubba
Unregistered guest
tnbob, i've got a sony 60xs955 ordered from tweeters. due in any day. i just keep checking all these sales other stores are having and i've saved about $550.00 in 2 wks. i've got an old uhf antenna strapped to the chimney. sheilds said it should work for hd. can't wait to get this thing. hope it gets in before all the bowl games. have a good day.
tnbubba

Wolf
Unregistered guest
Hey Bob, Mitsubishi is aware of the issue and is sending a replacement circuit card to the local tech.

Tennessee Bob
Unregistered guest
Wolf - Thanks for the followup. Tweeter called this afternoon and they are going to replace my tv tomorrow pm. I hope the new one has a revised circuit card. Needless to say, I'm impressed with Tweeter's response.

Username: Wulfgar

CA

Happy Holidays!
To: Tom Fox, Derik Boucher, TomMan and Markvdb,

I could use some help with negotiations on for a Mits 62725. Does anyone have a receipt they could email me? I've seen the prices you paid less than $3700. It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Wulfgar

Post Number: 6
Paul,
I paid over $3700, so I can't help you.

Username: Wulfgar

CA

Post Number: 2
Tom,
Thanks for the update. What did you pay for the 62725? What is a reasonalbe price?

Post Number: 7
Paul, my email address is found high up in this thread. Please respond to me directly so we can save others from reading the same thing over & over. :-) I was able to use Derik's receipt in MN for pricematching, and the price was mentioned above ($3750).

Unregistered guest
I am getting ready to purchase a Mitsubishi WD 52725. My living room is too small for a 62". Does anyone have a receipt for a 52"? The current price UE has given me is $3329 with a $50 charge for delivery. I also want surround sound without a DVD player. I have not picked one out, yet.
Thank you in advance if you have a receipt you can send me via email for the WD 52725.
My email address is psword@provalue.net

Username: Jrad

Phoenix, AZ United States

Just tried to get Cox cable to install the Scientific Atlanta cable card in new Mit WD 52725. System would recognize the card parameters, but would display "no information" on the screen that is suppose to display the Host Id & CableCARD ID. Cox blames mitsu and says there's no problem with Panasonic or Sony set they install. Installer states we need to use a box and not CableCARD. Any other with positive experience and method of resolution or is this factual at this time?

Unregistered guest
Purchased a WD 62725 two weeks ago from FRY's for 3,999.00. SHad Cox cable install cable card The first week the Mitz worked great. The Sunday of the second week, Green Screen not picture only sound. Called Mitz authorized repair and they said that there was a software glitch and they would have a fix by thursday. Friday got a call that they would be out Sat with a complete new T.V. they came and went and now the set is worse than ever. I am still having problems with it freeezing and no stereo went back to cable box, found out cable card and Mitsi incompatible, going back for exchange and save some money

Unregistered guest
So we bought a Mitsubishi WD-62725 TV thinking that we would not need a cable box (you pay quite a bit more for the built in HD tuner) and low and behold, the software in the TV is outdated and never worked (and they knew this for 8 months) and it does not allow the TV to process all of the HD channels. Mitsubishi knew of this issue.
I then went to Fry's and purchased a Mitsubishi Model WD 62725 HDTV especially designed to use this technology. After about two weeks for some reason the system failed to work on HD, and defaulted to Analog service only I called Fry's and they came out and checked the TV for the latest software upgrades and found assumed the card was not working after checking all of the parameters of the HDTV and found it in good working order.
On their first attempt to install the cable card the "Cox" technician was here for about 30 minutes and a gorgeous picture was onscreen, a teeming slate of HDTV channels at last! However, no stereo sound. Other than that, everything was fine for the first two weeks.
Then all of the digital channels I had been receiving mysteriously disappeared. Instead of beautiful digital images, I got a blank screen on all digital channels.
I called my local cable company to make an appointment for a service call for Friday A.M. 11/5/2004. At about 8:45 A.M. that day a service contractor of "Cox" showed up and I informed him of what occurred.
He proceeded to check the T.V. and after one hour of checking and several phone calls to his office and Cox he this was a CableCARD system and did a reset on it, we now could get digital channel # 735 but no other HD channels.
About an hour after the technician left, he called me from his office and informed me that the problem was not with the CableCARD rather an issue with the firmware version installed in the Mitsubishi HDTV and I should call Mitsubishi and have them come out and "flash" the software, apparently Mitsubishi knowingly let the reseller (FRY'S) move these sets after they found they had shipped them with buggy firmware and neither proactively offered that information.
At about 12:15 P.M. he showed up, we received a call from Mitsubishi at my residence, and they informed him again that I had the latest software version and we went to the appropriate menu to verify this never mentioning their known issues with their firmware.
He then proceeded to install a new card, and then called the S/N in and after a few minutes the HBO HDTV picture appeared on-screen for a moment, frozen and pixilated, and then disappeared, as if the signal were trying to lock in.
After several more attempts with different CableCARD the picture and all functioning controls froze. I observed that the lights on the power up would flash for several minutes and never turn off as the manual stated it should. He then proceeded to unplug the TV from the wall power outlet and try several more times and got other alarms on the front panel of the T.V...
I called FRY'S, they decided to exchange the TV for me and would rush a delivery for the next day, 11/06/04 after coordinating with their delivery team and Cox hooked up a cable box for temporary service and everything worked fine.
The next day a new HDTV arrived, Cox installed a new CableCARD, and everything worked fine except the stereo sound. After a week, the flakey behavior started again. More breaking / freezing / blue screens on digital channels, more "161-53" error messages, and several times the digital channels stopped until the TV froze up again.

ZW
Unregistered guest
I bought the Mitsu 62725 two weeks ago. It seems to be very noisy. The fan is alway on. After you turn on the TV, another fan goes on and you can hear the noise 15 feet away.
Is this normal?
Can anyone share your experience?
Does anyone know where and how to obtain the Firmware upgrade?
THANKS,
ZW

Post Number: 8
Yes, the noise is normal (I've had it for 2 weeks or so). I guess it doesn't bother me, though, as I typically have a small PC with variable-speed fan running in my entertainment center, along with a noisy household (kids). Plus, my home office has six 24-hr machines that are substantially louder than the TV. If you're used to peace-n-quiet, I bet it can seem noisey.

There is no way to reduce the noise, except for possibly blocking the noise with some bookcase towers. Definitely don't want to fully enclose it -- room to breath and all that.

Unregistered guest
San Francisco Bay Area - anyone successful in purchasing a 62725 in the $3750 - $3900 range or better? Thanks!!

email: flyfishn54@yahoo.com

Post Number: 9
Curious, is anyone using the infrared extensions of Net Commander so the TV can control the various system components? I haven't messed with it because I truely don't like the switch-based remote the Mits 62725 comes with. Since I'm using a different universal remote and have visual to each component, I might as well stick to direct control.

However, I'm still curious about the experiences of others with respect to TV control over devices.

Username: Oakie

Hi

I bought my 725 about 3 weeks ago for 3700 and its probably the best electronic purchase i've ever made. The wiring up was a nightmare for me and even now not sure if everything is done to the best effect. Im on Brighthouse digital cable here in Florida and i am experienceing a little issue. The picture on some channels is not syncing up with the audio. A fraction of a delay and on some channels begins to look like a bad dubbed chinese film. Anyone else get this or am i wiring wrong? I am using component video from cable box and rca audio cables to tv. Then connecting digital out of tv to sony reciver . It doesn't matter if i use the reciever or not. This happens on TV volume only and happens on the low poor channels.

Any ideas?

Username: Oakie

Also... Anyone know how i can get the cable to give me a cable card. They don't like parting with them at all.

Username: Sporkmaster

California

After many months of agonizing over the search for the best price on a WD 62725, my son got a seasonal job at Best Buy, which entitled me to his discount at the in-store "Magnolia" high-end AV dept. When it comes to price comparisons, I'm afrais you guys will just have to "read 'em and weep". $3395 + about half-off on all the cables and a great deal on a Denon DVD player.
A year ago my son survived a terrible car crash and since then has reflected on what important things his life was saved for. We have since decided that this holy discount was at least one of those things.
I am happy with the TV, but Adelphia Cable told me I can't get an HD box until Feb.... now if I can just get my son a job at Adelphia....
The standard digital cable looks great, the 720p DVD through the HDMI looks terrific, and the component hook-up for Platstation 2 is addictive. I had considered the Samsung 56" for about a year, but the smaller size and goofy "Jetsons" pedastal pushed me toward the 725. I'm all set to go to CES 2005 in Las Vegas in Jan. and hopefully won't feel too much buyer's remorse over actually buying an HDTV instead of just waiting for one!

TheTomMan
Unregistered guest
Awesome forum! A few questions, thanks.
1. Has anybody ever encountered a bunch of horizontal lines blocking the almost the entire screen? I unplugged the 62725 and plugged it back in and they went away. Doesn't seem normal.

2. I keep hearing that with HDTV, you either have a perfect picture or no picture. I always have a picture, but on occasion will see the squares (digital pixels?) come and go from the screen (not often). I am using an off air antenna.

3. Some of the HDTV shows I've checked out, don't look like HDTV. It displays in 16x9 and looks like a really good NTSC signal. Do some shows just come across in like 480p? (Football and the Young and the Restless look awesome).

4. I have not had any luck sending and digital sound out of the tv to the receiver, using the coax out. Are there any shows that output digital sound? TV manual says it will turn off the coax out, if no digital signal is encountered.

5. I have my cable tv (Comcast) plugged into ANT-1 and my offline plugged into ANT-2. The reception (non-hdtv) on some of the cable channels is terrible (especially ABC). Is this just a bad tv for NTSC signals?

Sorry for the rambling and thanks in advance for your input.

TheTomMan
Unregistered guest
Oops, that would be GREEN horizontal lines on my number 1 above. Thanks!

Unregistered guest
I've had the Mits 62725 installed for about a week now and I am in love! It is great. Got it at UE in Fort Worth, TX. Got the TV for $3750 (thanks Tom), an OmniMount glass two-tier stand (I hated the Mits stand), Denon AV receiver, Klipsch Reference Series 5.1 speakers with 12 inch sub, Sony DVD player with upconversion, a Monster Power Station, 5 yr warranty with 2 bulb replacements, an off air HD antenae, a dual tuner HD Tivo DirecTV receiver, many, many cables including digital optical, digital coax, component video, speaker, wall plates, etc., etc., installation, delivery, and taxes for less than $9k.

Sounds like many of the problems some of the recent posters have had may be due to install. I was VERY happy to have paid UE for the install. The guy was very knowledgeable, didn't mind me picking his brain, was courteous, and really took his time. Spent 5 hours here and showed me how it all worked. He even helped my DirecTV installer integrate the off air HD antenae through the dual tuner HD Tivo receiver. Paying for install was WELL worth my time, money and sanity. I have 100% confidence that my stuff is hooked up with the best performance.

Anyway, I love the system. It totally rocks.

If any of you are looking to buy, and can negotiate a fair price, I would really recommend UE. I was extremely impressed from sales to delivery to install to support.

TomMan - my off air HD channels are pulled from the antenae and come in through the DirecTV box, and will show as HD capable network channels on the unit's guide. Even though the off air CAN receive HD, it doesn't always come in in the highest resolution to your TV. For instance, the networks do not pay to have some shows filmed and broadcast in HD, but do for others. Most of your popular shows like CSI and football will, but I noticed that the Christmas Day basketball game between the Lakers and Heat was not, just looked like regular TV. The other HD channels are through the HD package that DirecTV has. So, in other words I actually have 2 ESPN's, Discovery's, HBO's etc. with one being 100% HD, and the other not. SportsCenter is sweet in HD by the way. I simply go do "DBS" for TV, and then "DVD" for DVD on the device menu. I get some picture on every channel though, hope that helps. Also, no lines for me, but I have noticed a small black fragment on the inside of the screen in one of the corners. Looks like a piece of string or something. Very small and hardly noticeable but I am going to call UE on it just in case.

Tom Fox - I did not use the Net Command System b/c my installer told me that they are hit and miss and more of a hassel than anything, I just switch remotes to set things up initially (for DBS or DVD), then my DirecTV remote controls the volume and TV power, etc.

I have noticed the fan noise but it does not bother me at all.

I also got a digital camera for Christmas and slid the memory card right in to one of the slots in the front of the TV and ran the slideshow of the pics. SO COOL!!

As far as the other topics on the forum regarding the set, I'd be happy to address them, this is all that was on my mind just now, as if you needed more after all of this jeez! Sorry, I'm just excited that it all worked out!!

Thanks to all in this forum, invaluable stuff here!

Brandon

TheTomMan
Unregistered guest
Thanks Brandon.

We really liked the OmniMount stands too, but we are having one made. We need our large RC7 center speaker placed and it's too large for most of the stands. We also wanted black. UE doesn't carry black and special orders are supposedly nasty there. We also wanted a shorter stand (15"), because of the TV size.

Are you saying that I can go to an off air HDTV channel, where the network station is suppose to be outputting a HDTV signal, and see a non-HDTV program? Law & Order: SVU is one show that's supposedly in HDTV. It's in 16x9 and on the HDTV broadcast station, but the picture doens't look that fantastic. Looks more like a good NTSC signal.

I'm looking at getting the highdef/DVR box from Comcast and thus running component cables from the cable box to the TV. My HDMI input is used up with the DVD player and who knows if Comcast even has a HDMI out on their boxes anyway. Would my picture suffer with this TV setup? Maybe I should bag the DVR idea and go with the cablecard???? I don't know how and where the Comcast cable box outputs their sound. I am still researching. Anyone have any ideas? Is it digital?

Digital out from TV is working now.

Thanks ya'll.

Unregistered guest
TomMan - I only know what I've experienced and what the UE installer taught me. When I go to the guide in DirecTV, it will show me the off air version of the network channels. IF the network is broadcasting a particular program in HD, a little blue "HD" icon appears by the title on the guide. So, if I am on the off air channel, and the program has the icon, I am seeing HD. Not everything on the networks comes as HD, whether you get it from the off-air antennae, satellite, cable, whatever. Law and Order:SVU should be in HD, and it might also be in Dolby 5.1, as some shows are, in which case your AV receiver should recognize that and switch to Dolby automatically.

Now, the connection could be playing a part. I assume that even HD would look non-impressive on RCA cables or coax. Run component or HDMI. I am using HDMI on the DVD and with the upconversion, I have no idea how I got along with out it! Actually, I have heard that component is better for your cable, DBS, ant. anyway because HDMI transmits a "perfect" signal, and therefore will transmit the flaws in a non-HD network or satellite or cable feed "perfectly", producing some ugly pictures on certain shows and commercials. The component is just a step down so it acts as a good filter in this case. However, component is VERY high quality. But use the HDMI on your DVD player.

On the center speaker, I bought a little stand that mounts to the top of the TV and allows you to angle to speaker down to the listening area. It is non-descript so I like it fine.

Jinelmo
Unregistered guest
Brandon....Can you elaborate on the center channel
stand?...Where did you get it? price etc?
Thx
J

Anonymous

Frankly, after reading all the problems WD-62725 has, I think I am going to wait another couple of years before the technology catches up. It is stupid to pay 4 to 5 thousand dollars buying all headache. Any thoughts

Anonymous

Anonymous,

I too read all the posts about the problems with this tv on this board and others. But I decided to buy anyway, I'm glad I did this TV is impressive on HD content. I have had zero problems with mine. Keep in mind that on boards like these, one of the reasons that people post is that they are pissed off because their TV does not work. The people who are happy really don't have a reason to post or even review the boards anymore. So what I am saying is that you are getting a somewhat negatively slanted view of reality. One of the reasons I decided to purchase was that my store told me that this tv has had less problems than the other brands that they sell. Were they telling me the truth? Who knows. All I know is that I am VERY happy with mine. Hope this helps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 26
For what its worth - I echo the above sentiments 100%. I've had mine for 3 months, no problems - LOVE IT

Post Number: 10
Glad to have helped, Brandon. Good to see it all worked out as you had hoped.

No regrets here with the Mits 62725 purchase. TV is has operated to spec.

Roller stand for the TV is stained & eurathaned. Working on the side towers and bridge. Bridge is about 4-5 inches above the TV -- size is just perfect. Center channel speaker sits atop the bridge (at 80" high). I wouldn't mind if the TV was dropped about 10" or so, but that option is out. :-)

I use this TV frequently for computer usage - playback of encoded films. Works great. Something interesting -- so DVD's playback at 480p and computer uses 720p. That suggests to me that fullscreen DVD playback would actually be better using the computer and its DVD player, rather than the direct external DVD player. Just a thought.

For those in the Dallas area, if you'd like nice finished furniture for your Mits x2x25, consider Stone Creek Furniture -- there are not too many places that sell good, solid wood furniture for TVs this size.

BrandonChase
Unregistered guest
Jinelmo - I cannot remember the brand of the stand but I got it at UE. It came in a thin box. It is a simple, metal, grated stand that has a lip that fits over the front/top of the TV, with an arm that supports the stand on the back side of the TV. Then, there is a little screw-in device that allows you to adjust the angle of the speaker down to the listening area. Hope that helps.

Unregistered guest
JCS,

I live in Roswell, GA and have been looking at the 52725. You bought at the best price I have seen. Can you e-mail me a copy of your receipt? Thanks. marktonk@comcast.net

JCS Stated:
"I just purchased the 52725 yesterday for $2,797 from a local dealer in Atlanta - Brandsmart. It was the best deal that I could find, and I've been looking. Delivery and set up was just $40! I also bought the three-year extended warranty for an additional $218. This service even includes annual calibration at no additional cost. The only thing it doesn't cover is the bulb, but I understand that there is now a bulb warranty that you can buy. Can't wait to get the set home. "

Unregistered guest
I just found this web site and everyone's post have been extremely helpful. Thanks.

After doing a lot of research, I am going to buy a 62725 on Monday (Jan. 3rd) at a local TV Dealer in South Jersey. My only reservation is the Mistsubishi Stand that matches this TV. It doesn't look like it will be able to hold my four components (HD Cable Box, DVD/VCR Recorder, Bose Lifestyle 28 and my Replay TV). Does anyone know the dimensions of the matching stand? Will it fit my 4 components? Any advise would be very helpful. Thanks.

Username: Cbhmn

It's disappointing that the mitsu site doesn't have exact dimensions on the MB-62525.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/other/category.asp?id=4

Username: Showmethetv

RickR,
I just received my 62725 on Friday. The stand I got from UE is the Bello AVS-2601 which can hold a lot of components and, I think, looks great. Here is a link with a picture. I ended up paying 624.95 for the stand. If you want UE to preassemble before delivery it is $20. For me it was worth it.
http://www.racksandstands.com/prods/Bello/AVS-2601/Bello/0C54/0PBB0068.htm

Unregistered guest
Great group!!

I bought my Mits 725 2 weeks ago works and looks great. I have only one small complaint, in HD the picture is great, but all others the people seem short and squatty. changing the format does not seem to take it away. Is there a trick to streching the picture a tad?? the book does not go into much detail. All in all I give the TV a 10. Love it!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
As far as I know, you're only control over the aspect ratio is through the format function. For broadcast TV, it should either be 4:3 or 16:9, which is covered by the format function. If you're having aspect issues with your DVD player or other source, then the problem is with your other source.

Does anyone have a Toshiba SD-5970 dvd connected to a 62725 using HDMI? I connected audio and video components directly from dvd to the TV and it worked great. I then unplugged those components and tried HDMI (using the cable Toshiba provided) but have no audio/video. I do have switch on the front of the dvd set to HDMI. Wondering if I forgot to set something up correctly. Thanks.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 30
RB - I have the 5970 and have it hooked via HDMI, works great. Be sure to switch the TV to monolink in the device menu, and if your using a receiver you will still have to run audio - coax or optical from dvd to receiver.

Has anyone had any problems with the cable card on the Mits.62725.Because I had Cox come out to install a card . but could not because they said i needed a software update .Has anyone had the same problem.and will the update fix the problem??

Anonymous

I've had my WD-62725 for little over 4 months now. This morning i tried turning it on and nothing happened but the green power LED did come on. No relay clicking noise or extra fan noise. This happen to me one other time. I tried reseting it several times and i even left it unplugged for several hours and still I'm still getting nothing. I asume the bulb is good because the lamp led does not come on when the tv is plugged in. IS THERE ANYONE WITH A QUICK FIX? Or will i be stuck calling a repair man? Any help will be appreciated!! THANKS!!

eddie
Unregistered guest
Did you press the small rest button nest to the power button.

Anonymous

Did you press the small reset button next to the power button.

Unregistered guest
Great info. Thanks to everyone for their input. Has really helped me figure out that this is the TV I want. With that said does anyone foresee a price drop coming on this model in the near future? I know the Consumer Electronics show is about to begin in Las Vegas. Heard that there might be a decrease afterwards but just looking for feedback. Also I live in Orlando if anyone knows any electronics stores here where I could get a deal. Thanks

Boe
Unregistered guest
Yes i have tried the reset many times. I also tried letting it sit unplugged for a long period of time. It still will only power on the power led. no clicking noise or second fan turning on. I talked to the compamy i got it online from and they told me i would have to bring it in for repairs. closest repair shop is a hour and half drive one way. Is there possibly another reset on the tv anywhere else beside the front panel.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
I had a similar problem today, Boe. Green light came on solid. No fan noise. No audio. No picture. Remote useless. I ended up resetting my power regulator / UPS and the TV powered up fine after that. Kinda scary. I hope this isn't a sign of something to come.

Boe
Unregistered guest
Tom Fox - is it pretty simple to reset the power regulator/UPS. My TV has done this one other time and after playing around reseting it by the front panel and unpluging it for awhile it just happened to come back on. It is scary i feel like i purchased a high priced paper weight. Your info would helpful and your further assistance would be greatly appreciated. There is some hope out there! lol I'm no repair technician but i should be able to handle the job.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Has anyone had any problems with the cable card on the Mits.62725.Because I had Cox come out to install a card . but could not because they said i needed a software update .Has anyone had the same problem.and will the update fix the problem??

Jennifer Mc
Unregistered guest
We finally got our 52725 hooked up to HD/DVR through Comcast today. The cost of the new box is only $3 more than the old digital box.

We ordered the Mits towards the end of Nov thru Pacific Sales (So Cal) for $3150 which included 5 year warranty. (Went back & forth with them & Tweeters on price - Tweeters wouldn't throw in the warranty). We also got a 10 foot entertainment center which was special order, so we waited to have the TV delivered at the same time - that was a LONG 6 weeks. Went for the 27 month financing deal. I always believe in using someone else's money ;)

Tomorrow we have a guy coming to hook all the components together (receiver, speakers, turntable, etc, etc). Pic is awesome, fan noise not a bother, very little glare.

One question I'll have for him (and for you guys) is how to make the non-HD channels not stretch and look distorted. (Did that make sense)? Called the cable company - clueless, of course. Hopefully, all will be well tomorrow. Now if I can just get my totally non-techie husband to sit & READ the book....sigh!

Username: Ben1db

Post Number: 6
Little button on your remote control that reads "format". Click that a couple of times to choose the right format in analog or digital. If its in true HD, I don't think you can change. Some of my local channels are misleading, you think its HD but its really something inbetween HD and digital I'm told. Anyway if its true HD, it will fill up your screen and not leave blank areas on both the right and left sides.

Username: Boolrun

Brentwood, California

Hi everyone! New member here.
Got my 62725 a week ago and love it. Still trying to decide whether to go HD cable or Directv. I already have a dish, so leaning toward that.
I am really confused about which way to go with a dvd player. I have heard so many pros and cons about the upconverters. Can I get some thoughts on whether I should go with an upconverted dvd player or regular progressive scan at this time? Am I right in thinking that a higher up progressive scan player would be just as good as one of the upconverters at this time? At least until true HD players are on the market?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
boolrun

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Just an FYI...
Not all HD broadcasts are widescreen (16:9). However, all widescreen broadcasts are HD, unless you have chosen to stretch your 4:3 programs to the edges. Anyway, my point is that HD doesn't necessary mean the programs are widescreen.

TheTomMan
Unregistered guest
We watched ABC/Alias the other night through the off air antenna. Filled the screen, and it's supposedly in high def, but I'll be dog gone if this wasn't closer to 480i rather than 720p (Desperate Housewives looks the same). Format button brings it into 16x9 and digital audio out recognized the digital signal. Commercials pop back to 4:3. Football looks good on ABC. Any ideas?

TV freeze ups? Me too!
1. I was changing channels and it froze to a black screen, in between channels, with the green light on. No remote or tv buttons worked. Had to unplug. Worked good after that.
2. Went to turn it on the other day and it wouldnt' turn on. No green light. Remote and tv buttons didn't work. Fan was on though. Weird. Unplugged and plugged it back in and everything started working.

Called Mits and they said since it's working now, then no use to send out upgraded software.

Strange.

Post Number: 7
TheTomMan,

In the Dfw area where I live the free local channels broadcasts on two and sometime 3 channels. Like my old channel 8 is now 8.1,8.2,and 8.3 The 8.1 is digital but 8.2 is HD when they tranmit in HD. So if you're clicking channels and come to the first one on the remote, it may not be the HD one, click to the next one.

I also have had a couple of freezups but after 10-15 seconds it frees up.

Just had a repairman out yesterday to fix a minor "tilt" on the screen. I've seen several posts reguarding this and it was an easy fix for him (writing appears slanted across the bottom of your screen, shows up when graphs or charts are on). He said he had repaired several with the same problem. I asked him about paying someone to calibrate the TV which sounds like it's about $300 around here to have done. He said that this model of Mitsubishi (i have 52725 and assume he meant 62 series also) was the absolute best and did not need any calibrating.

sean007
Unregistered guest
The TomMan,

I have a 52725 and 52525 with both 4.04 version. My 5 series never had any problem; but I had to reset my 7s a couple of times within the past 2 weeks after the upgrade. This past Monday, tried to turn on the TV with the remote and from the panel...nothing happened, reset it and it works fine. Mits said that I'm on the latest version 4.04 so have no answer for it. Tweeter is coming out today to take a look at it, it's been working fine since Monday. Should I get a replacement, but it seems that if it is not this problem it's something else. Is there a fix ?

Sean

Post Number: 8
Don't know. I did'nt know there was a new upgrade. I have the 4.03 version so may need to send off for onw.

mjdeneweth
Unregistered guest
I am considering purchasing the 62725 and would love it if anyone has a receipt from a Tweeter store for $3800 or less that they could send me. My email address is mjdeneweth@comcast.net, thanks in advance if anyone can help! :-)

Unregistered guest
Yeah. Send it to me as well. I've hit 2 different Tweeters in the central PA area in the last 2 days and these guys won't take a PENNY off.

I'm talking a 62725, stand, dvd/vcr recorder/warranty and the only thing they do is offer me 10% off "accessories".

I'm also willing to pay CASH...no financing.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
With the current Mits financing deal (25 months 0%, as I recall), cash isn't much of an incentive to the salesman. Mits is funding the deal and Tweeters or any other Mits dealer is getting their money right away.

BB, strange, I live in DFW also and I get maximum two OTA broadcasts per channel (5, 5-1 HD, 8, 8-1 HD, etc). I often find it difficult to get the UHF channels in HD -- could be my location.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
I'm not sure if a problem with OTA broadcasts, but the often 3 seconds to switch channels sure is a pain. So much for channel surfing. Is this slow channel change typical among comparable TVs? I don't recall noticing how slow it was when I was researching TVs.

Post Number: 9
I have the same 3 second delay when surfing. Funny how I did'nt even try switching channels when looking at them, oh well, small price to pay. Tom Fox, do your annolog channels look worse on your mit vs your old annalog tv, mine do and apparently that is common among all HDTV's.

Reguarding local channels, I think channel 8 is the only one with 3 and one of them is a weather broadcast.

Reguarding UHf channels, do you know about using antennaweb.org to aim your antenna? I guess you also need to make sure that when you set up your tv and programed the auto channel select, it picked up on all the channels and did'nt skip over a good one.

Unregistered guest
Has anyone had a problem with the card readers. I can't get any format to read. Keeps saying insert card.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Yes, I'd say the quality of the analog channels slightly decreased when switching to the Mits. However, I'm a bad example because I purchased a new multidirectional antennae designed for HD when I bought the TV. I did this because my old roof unidirectional antennae only gave me 1 HD broadcast. After installing the new HD antennae in my attic, I'm now able to get most of the HD broadcasts (and yet the UHF HD channels often don't come in). Also, with the new antennae, my analog channels come in far better than they used to -- again, this is only because I purchased a new antennae.

I tried Best Buy's top of the line antennae & wasn't impressed. I also tried several others, and ended up (strange to say) keeping the $70 Radio Shack multidrectional antennae. Works great -- as a last resort, I thought about getting an automatic rotating attachment, but this last antennae worked for me. Occasionally, HD channel 4 gives me problems which is not good for Monday Night Football.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
Bhagan,
I've tried only one card -- the 4 GB Hitachi type-2 CompactFlash. I actually didn't think it'd work since the specs only mention type-1 CF, but lo & behold... the 4 GB CF worked quite well. I didn't really need it, though, since my DVD player shows the JPEG's off my LAN. Cool feature.

Unregistered guest
Thanks Tom Did you have to set anything up in Netcommand?

Tom/BB,
Regarding channel surfing...I use PIP b/c it is a lot faster. However, the cable guy said when I upgrade to a cable card (they are supposed to install it Mon 1/10/05) I could lose that function. We will see. Aside from that channel surfing is slow.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
Bhagan,
Yes, go to NetCommand. Click the Review button. Move the focus to Card-3 (which is CompactFlash) and enable the checkbutton. Use the different Card-N choices based on the card media type. Then exit NetCommand and switch to the Card-3 device.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
Agreed. PIP channel changes are quite a bit quicker. So, if possible, use PIP for surfing. If you're watching HD, though, you can over view analog channels in the PIP (which probably accounts for some of the speed). Side-by-side permits dual HD channels, but it's just as slow (or close) as main channel changes.

Username: Ttemplin

I own a Hitachi 50V500A 50 inch LCD rear projection TV. It's been great, but lately I've noticed that when I play DVD's, I get magenta colored lines outlining the actors and actually on the actors' faces. It's annoying. I've tried hooking up 3 different DVD's including a progressive scan, and nothing's changed.
Has this ever happened to you? Does anyone have any thoughts on how I can get rid of this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Todd,
Unlikely you'll find Hitachi TV owners here (except by luck). This particular topic covers Mitsubishi.

Unregistered guest
"cash isn't much of an incentive to the salesman"

No kidding. Maybe you can tell me what is then? You saw what I was going to spend...what ELSE could I offer to buy from the guy????

LOL!!

I think SOME of the folks on here are blowing bs about these prices.

Anybody in the NJ,MD,PA are that gets me a 62725 for 3800 or less, I'll paypal ya a 100 bucks. I'll come to pick it up too

Ty,
Don

Username: Sunwrks

San diego, California Usa

I paid 4229 for the 62725 before tax and no warranty to tweeter in San Diego. Does anyone have a lower reciept i could use and infact will tweeter go for it. They say they only use their competitors ads ie; Best Buy, Fry's.... and not internet pricing. I've never acually read the fine print on their 60 day price match policy. sunwrks@yahoo.com

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
mechtechllc,
That's a new technique I'm not familiar with...
to say that some people are lying about their purchases and THEN ask if they can help you out. Hmm... you must be a salesman.

Anonymous

the 52725 online is going for at $3299.00,
http://www.dynaco.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=WD-52725&Ca tegory_Code=

it's already january, can i get the 52725 at 3K ?

whoever got the best price from tweeter, if you can send me a copy of the receipt.
thank you
tn

TheTomMan
Unregistered guest
Thanks Sean. My TV wouldn't turn on again this past Friday. I called Mits and they escalated to a technician who's suppose to call me back early this week. The usual fix worked again (reset/unplugging unit)and things are just fine. Sounds like the software upgrade might not help this issue.

I am still within the 30 day purchase period and UE told me yesterday not to worry about that. I am considering getting a new set or potentially a different set all together. I don't know if it will help though.

I'm going to get the Comcast cablecard ASAP and call UE's repair guys to see if I can clear up the HD reception question or my misconception. :-)

I feel like I have computer that I need to reboot every once in a while. Maybe that's to be expected with these new TV's and I should just keep what I have.

Thanks!

Tom

Unregistered guest
Tom,

Wrong again Tom. I didn't ask for "help". I asked for PROOF of the purchase price SOME(and I said SOME)of these people are claiming to be buying at TWEETER.

Since NO ONE has emailed/replied, I'm assuming people are blowing smoke about buying 62725's for 3700 from Tweeter!!(I NEVER said they were "liars". I'm SURE some have bought at that price...but I'm also sure NOT as many that have claimed)

"Hmm... you must be a salesman"

Wrong again, Tom. That's a technique I out-grew since the 4th grade Tom....name-calling. Hence, I won't say what "you must be".

Don

Unregistered guest
Well, it doesn't appear that anyone with a receipt from Tweeter for $3800 is reading the forum anymore. If anyone has a copy of the receipt from UE for $3750 I would really appreciate a copy, maybe I can use that at one of my local stores to bargain for a good price. My email address is mjdeneweth@comcast.net

Unregistered guest
Just bought mine (WD-62725) for $4299 + tax and 18 month with no interest from Fry's two days ago. I just love it. The fan noise is not noticeable. Attached Toshiba DVD with HDMI 1080i format, the picture is awesome. I have a regular Direct TV receiver; the picture in 480i short format is awesome too. Not received my HD cable box yet and no experience. My old audio (5 years old analog) works perfect. I don't care about delays between channels switching. Anybody knows what generation of DLPs they are using?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Don, good one. You win. Hope you find a Tweeter receipt.

RD
Unregistered guest
Regarding San Diego purchase. Tweeter has a higher list price (at least when I bought here in SD) by about $300. You should be able to get it for $4000. If you go to Best buy or others they allow you to take 10% the list price if you buy the credit card, etc, or you can occasionally find 10% off discounts off any one purchase. the list price at Best buy is ~$4400 so it should be easy to get it down to $4000.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us