Cannot record to DVD using Funai DVD/VCR Combo and Comcast HD Box

Username: Singerdancer

Post Number: 1
I just upgraded to an HD Cable Box from Comcast. I have it connected to a Funai SV200 DVD/VCR Combo recorder and my HDTV. While I can still record to the VCR, whenever I try to record to DVD, I get the error message - "This program is not recordable in +VR mode" It looks like it is recording, but I get an E45 error code and nothing has been recorded. When this unit was connected to my old cable box that did not have HD, it worked fine.

In addition, I have the exact same DVD/VCR unit on another, non-HD TV which is attached to a DTA, also provided by Comcast, and have no problem recording onto DVD from that one. I use the timer for my recordings.

If the E45 error code is related to copy protection, why doesn't this happen on my other unit? I asked Comcast and they told me I shouldn't be able to record these shows at all. These aren't even channels like Showtime, or HBO. It wouldn't even let me record the weather channel or Fox.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Silver Member
Username: Ieee488

Post Number: 244
How exactly do you have your equipment connected?
That is probably the reason you can record one way and not the other.

Post Number: 2
I'm pretty sure they are hooked up correctly. The technician from Comcast looked at it and said it was hooked up correctly.
1. Coax from wall to Cable Box.
2. HDMI cable from HDTV to Cable Box.
3. Red, While, Yellow plugs from audio and video out on Cable Box to audio and video in on DVD/VCR unit also with RWY connections.
4. RWY plugs outputed from DVD/VCR unit to RWY plugs inputed to HDTV labeled "Video1".
5. Grey & Black plugs from HDTV "Component2" to AIWA CD player/audio tape player/radio with stereo speakers.

Sorry if I don't know the names of all these connections, but I think the descriptions should be enough to explain it.

When I set up the timer on the DVD/VCR unit, I select E1 as the channel and set the cable remote to the channel I want to tape or burn. Taping works, burning doesn't.

Silver Member

Post Number: 245
It sounds like you have the connections right.

If you can record and burn to DVD with your second setup, I would try to duplicate that down to the most trivial detail. It seems that the HDTV is different. So, disconnect it from the cable box. And try it again.

Post Number: 3
One thing I forgot to mention. Before we got this HD Cable Box we had a non-HD Cable Box hooked up to this same unit and it worked with that box.

Silver Member

Post Number: 246
That's water under the bridge.

You need to get the new HD box working.

You say it works with the other TV. You just have to figure what is different with that setup and duplicate it.

Post Number: 4
My HD box works. It's the DVD burner that's not working. I can't duplicate the connections exactly from the TV and DTA that the other unit is attached to because I have to use 2 sets of RWY cables on the new setup and only one on the old. It's not the cables that's causing the problem. Comcast was here and told me everything was set up correctly. The difference is the cable box and type of TV. HDTV hooked up to the HD Cable box and regular TV hooked up to the DTA.

Silver Member

Post Number: 248
I know that your HD box works. I know that your cables are fine.

You can keep repeating all of this until Doomsday, and it won't solve a thing.

You either are willing to try to do some troubleshooting as I suggested or you just sit there and keep whining. Your choice.

There is something encypted in your saved video file on the DVR that is causing the DVD burner not to burn. Not that it can't. It won't.

You said that you have the same cable box. Do you or don't you?
If you don't, then that's your problem right there.

Post Number: 5
The reason I keep repeating myself is that, from your responses it appears that you are not understanding what I am saying and I, therefore, do not understand what you are asking me to do. If your intent is just to insult me, please do not respond and let someone else offer assistance. I do not have the same cable box, I have 2 identical DVD/VCR units. I think what we have is a failure to communicate! What you interpret as whining is just my desire to get to the bottom of this.

Silver Member

Post Number: 249
different cable box = cannot do same thing with Funai

is that simple enough?

Username: Alcuin44

Post Number: 1
This is a different problem with a Funai DVD/VCR but I hope someone can help. When I am "dubbing" from tape to disc I sometimes get an error message. I think it is always "cannot record to this disc E6 5C040301". This is particularly annoying because it usually comes in the middle of finalising the DVD-R, so not only have I lost the disc, but I've wasted 4 hours dubbing the tape. Usually starting over with a fresh disc works, but I do have a number of tapes that I've put to one side because this has happened twice. All the tapes play back OK. As this is happening with increasing frequency I am hoping someone can suggest a solution. I'd be most grateful.

Silver Member

Post Number: 711
http://www.justanswer.com/electronics/1slbh-funai-drvr-b778-until-recently-worke d.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us