IPod Shuffle won't upload new songs

Username: Profsmith

Post Number: 1
I put new songs into the iPod and everything works okay...until I take the iPod out, and all of my old songs are still on there and no new ones appear. I plug it back into the computer and all of the songs I just added have disappeared (they are still in the Library though). Do I need to restart my computer or something, or is my iPod possessed? Because I'm really pissed right now. All of the songs I'm loading are mp3 format, and even when I tried to add a song from a CD I own, and it converted it, it STILL doesn't work.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 3590
When you go to iTunes click on your iPod and not the Library. When you click on the iPod it should indicate the songs that are on the iPod.

Check the "preferences" tab...see how the "managefiles" is configured. If it is automatic or manual.

Post Number: 2
Yeah, I know. I put it into the iPod but it still doesn't work.

I don't see the "managefiles" thing anywhere. Where is it?

Post Number: 3
Now this thing popped up and it says "The files or directory iPod_Control/iTunes/Temp File 1 is corrupt." Then it says something about using the chkdisk Utility. What the freak is that? What happened?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3592
first go to "my computer"...check under "Devices with removable storage" and see if your iPod is detectd on there.

Post Number: 4
Nope, it's not there.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3593
You got a problem.

How are you connected to the PC?

Post Number: 5
What do you mean? The iPod?

Gold Member

Post Number: 3594
Of course, the iPod...are we talking about something else?:-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 3595
go here first and if it still does not work...come back here.

http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_t14.html

Post Number: 6
Sorry...heh heh.

I'm using the Dock Connector.

Post Number: 7
That video didn't help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3597
Seems like you have a connection problem. Check the cables and use firewire if you have it.

Post Number: 8
I'm going to have my mom look at it when she gets home. Thanks for your help.

Post Number: 9
It seems as though it won't plug into the firewire. It's in the USB; you can't put it in the firewire thing.

Honestly, this is a lot more trouble than it's worth; if it wasn't a birthday present I would've chucked it by now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3609
check your USB port if it is active

Unregistered guest
i have that same problem but i can see the driver in my computer i know a bit about computers and i know its not a conection problem so can someone help me out?

Yo Yo
Unregistered guest
Same problem also and i can see the driver. I've run the chkdsk utility on the iPod and it still doesn't work. Does everyone having the problem have the 60GB color screen version?

PMJ
Unregistered guest
I have the same problem on my 20gb Ipod, and I just updated the software from Apple, I also deinstalled the ipod softeware and started it all over again and i stll have the same problem... 2 days I have been trying to update the Ipod with new songs now... It will be going in the bin soon.

Anonymous

The Chkdsk error was a problem for my ipod mini...I had always put songs on my ipod until one day that error came up to run chkdsk and that ipod was unreadable and corrupt. So after looking and afraid that I had broken it, I actually just did what they said and ran chkdsk. Heres what to do on windows: go to Accessories and Command prompt and then enter chkdsk and it works without getting rid of your songs. I hope the error doesn't come up again because I have only added songs once since the error but I hope this helps someone

Anonymous

The Chkdsk error was a problem for my ipod mini...I had always put songs on my ipod until one day that error came up to run chkdsk and that ipod was unreadable and corrupt. So after looking and afraid that I had broken it, I actually just did what they said and ran chkdsk. Heres what to do on windows: go to Accessories and Command prompt and then enter chkdsk and it works without getting rid of your songs. I hope the error doesn't come up again because I have only added songs once since the error but I hope this helps someone

Anonymous 2
Unregistered guest
For the USB vs firewire problem, I believe ipod has a special hookup just for firewire so try that.

iPod3000
Unregistered guest
All you need to do is run ChkDsk from the command prompt with the iPod drive name and the /f switch. For example, my iPod appears in Windows explorer as drive K:

To fix go to Start, Run and type the following without the square brackets [chkdsk K: /f].

That'll sort it.

Take1
Unregistered guest
IPod300 - You Rock. That fixed the problem for me in like 5 seconds. Mucho Gracias!

Unregistered guest
what do those exclaimation points mean when they are next to a song? and how can i fix it?

Gold Member

Post Number: 4137
it is problem wiht your file. Probably wrong format or corrupted files.

Unregistered guest
Okay, I am using the Shuffle to try to listen to a book on tape, understand its not the best way to go but oh well. I put all the files on, they are sepereated by chapters, and then play the shuffle on regular (non-random mode), seemed to work great. However, the Shuffle apparently at random decides not to play certain chapters. When I look on itunes the chapters are definately there and will play, but when I unplug the Shuffle and try to listen it will always skip the same chapters, even though all the file types are the same. Any ideas?

Username: Punky

Post Number: 3
How do you access the "Chkdsk utility"?????

Grateful
Unregistered guest
iPod 3000- you are absolutely amazing :-) thanks a bunch

fetchmebeers
Unregistered guest
iPod3000! You freaking rule, dude. Thank god for rekindling my affection for my iPod.
... Let alone the problems with the discrepancy between my actual file size and the capacity shown. During the darkest hours of my iPod, I've noticed the file size(new ones) actually doubles each time I connect. This won't solve even after that resolution w/ chkdsk thingy. Thanks anyway, but if anyone knows what I'm talking about, please gimme a clue.

ila
Unregistered guest
ok this is a really dumb question...but ok im thinking of buying an ipod,but b4 i put in so much money intto it,i want to make sure i know everything and i know how it works and stuff.i used to have a mp3 player but it broke,and some1 told me u dont put songs on an ipod the same way as u do on a mp3.is that true??how DO u put songs o an ipod?....

Anonymous

please help...I have just updated to Tiger...the other day I connected my Ipod to my Imac...now all my songs have disapeared on the ipod!!!!!! When I connect it and open the folder icon from the desktop it is telling me that there is only 1gb of space left which was correct before the upgrade..... so all my music is there..but why wont the ipod show me it????? in the settings it says o songs>>> please help!!! someone

anonymous 3
Unregistered guest
i've got a problem on my ipod mini where it comes up /ipod_control/iTunes/Temp File and i've tryed everything on this page. I've ran chkdsk and it says run chkdsk/F to fix these problems but when i run chkdsk/F or chkdsk :E /f it just comes up chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process, would you like to schedule this volume next time the system restarts Y/N i always put Y but nothing ever happens. can anyone help???

x SoPhIe! x
Unregistered guest
Hey... i have a corrupted file on my iPod and a thing pops up saying:

iTunes.exe - corrupt file

and it says that the file D:/iPod_control/iTunes/iTunes Temp 10
is corrupted
I've tried running ChkDsk but it doesn't really help and i don't think i'm running it properly! i can't put any songs onto my iPod and its REALLY pissing me off! Please Help Me!

x SoPhIe! x
Unregistered guest

is corrupted
I've tried running ChkDsk but it doesn't really help and i don't think i'm running it properly! i can't put any songs onto my iPod and its REALLY pissing me off! Please Help Me!

x SoPhIe! x
Unregistered guest

is corrupted

andypoooooooooooooo
Unregistered guest
ill put songs on my shuffle and it will say ok to disconect then ill discontect and pull the ipod out of the usb port and ill turn on my ipod and it wont work also i got full batery nothing no songs! someone help.

ipod nano
Unregistered guest
i wud like 2 give a freakin huge thanks 2 ipod 3000(the user) i woz havin this problem w my nano (cept w foto's) now it's fixed :-) yay

Unregistered guest
i have an ipod shuffle and the software installed all sweet and i can drag my songs to the playlist but i dont have an upload icon... whats wrong.......

Unregistered guest
My ipod is charging when i plug it into my computer, BUT its nto configuring OR updating my songs SOMEONE HELP ME PLZZZ!!!

Username: Punky

Okay, whenever i plug my iPod (mini)in the do not disconnect button appears as if it was actully doing something, but then when iTunes pulls up, the iPod icon doesn't show up on the source menu, and usually whenever i plug my iPod in i hear a sound, but i'm not anymore does anybody know anything??? HELP

shuffle help
Unregistered guest
hopefully someone can help me. i am installing an iPod and i can't see my iPod. when i plug a thumb drive in i can see it and transfer files to it but the usb will not recognize the iPod.

Anonymous

TY TY TY IPOD300 I LOVE YOU MARRY ME

Unregistered guest
my prefrences thing says no ipod connected but my iPod is hooked up and my computer says it is detected so i'm really confused like my songs won't upload i mean i don't even know how i've only had it for a lil while and i usually use auto fill but it isn't working

Anonymous

is corrupted
I've tried running ChkDsk but it doesn't really help and i don't think i'm running it properly! i can't put any songs onto my iPod.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 2364
Download the iPod updater off the Apple site and restore everything.

Thom Jones
Unregistered guest
I have an iPOD mini. It will charge but it is not recognized buy iTunes. I have down loaded the latest update but when I try to use it to restore the orginal settings I get a "can not mount iPod" message. I know it sounds "odd". I wish the person who purchased this headache for me had spent the money on Lottery tickets instead. Any help will be appreciated.

MWP
Unregistered guest
thanks heaps ipod 3000...its working now!

madoo
Unregistered guest
this is the third time i have bothered to connect ipod to computer.
i had songs put on the first time (after at least 5 hours of trying) that worked fine. then i put more on (that time was 6 hours) and now SOME of the songs i had on the first time, while they are listed on my ipod, will not play - it just skips through each one - but they play fine in itunes. the apple website says to reinstall the software and tis all the advice it gives. thanks apple.
my ipod appears briefly on windows explorer as E: drive, but only when i have just plugged it in. then it disappears again, even though control panel says it's connected fine and knows what it is.
only when itunes is opened do i get the instruction to run chkdsk. i don't know what it's supposed to do but i think it's supposed to take longer than a second. the window pops up then promptly disappears.
so now, to try restoring. *sigh* it takes ages to get 15GB of songs onto an ipod.

Siobhan
Unregistered guest
i JUST GOT MY NEW I POD. I TRANFERED SONGS ONTO IT AND THEY WHERE WORKING FINE. WHEN I TRIES TO PUT MORE SONGS ON IT IT SAID " DO NOT DISCONNECT" SO LIKE A RIGHT IDIOT I DISCONNECTED IT. ALL THE SONGS ON MY IPOD HAVE DISSAPEARED. IT WONT KET ME PUT SONGS BACK ON. IT JUST COMES UP
UNKNOWN ERROR -48
iTunes.exe Corrupt
\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB
Use CHKDSK Utility.

How do i use this?

Siobhan
Unregistered guest
i JUST GOT MY NEW I POD. I TRANFERED SONGS ONTO IT AND THEY WHERE WORKING FINE. WHEN I TRIES TO PUT MORE SONGS ON IT IT SAID " DO NOT DISCONNECT" SO LIKE A RIGHT IDIOT I DISCONNECTED IT. ALL THE SONGS ON MY IPOD HAVE DISSAPEARED. IT WONT KET ME PUT SONGS BACK ON. IT JUST COMES UP
UNKNOWN ERROR -48
iTunes.exe Corrupt
\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB
Use CHKDSK Utility.

How do i use this?

Unregistered guest
im having the same problem as jakie the magnificient but with something else wrong my ipod isnt being recognized by itunes when i plug it into the usb drive.i had downloaded a full length album on it and it was working fine until i wanted to put new songs on it. it got to the last songs and it stopped i unplugged it tried to play it and it flashed amber and green lights.now theres nothing on it at all.

Unregistered guest
im having the same problem as jakie the magnificient but with something else wrong my ipod isnt being recognized by itunes when i plug it into the usb drive.i had downloaded a full length album on it and it was working fine until i wanted to put new songs on it. it got to the last songs and it stopped i unplugged it tried to play it and it flashed amber and green lights.now theres nothing on it at all.

jffjkkjsagfss
Unregistered guest
hey everyone i have recently bought a 30 gb ipod video but the battery only lasted ten minutes tops so i took that back n i got the 60 gb ipod video . the battery is much better. it was a hassle at first to get music on it but it finally worked. the ipod(s) are not nearly as good as their price would indicate. i have a answer to the person that asked why there is a exclamation point by the song on itunes. for me that meant i had deleted the file and it no longer existed so what you want to do is re download it back to itunes and it should work fine. now for my question, my friend owns a ipod shuffle and it detects that she has plugged it in and everything but it wont add any music to it. once in a while it may say updating files but that window last for only two seconds whichj is not nearly enough to add all the songs. when she disconnects it and tries to listen to it there is no music on it. Does any one have an answer to this problem?

Chadster18
Unregistered guest
Im using an ipod nano and my itunes wont open and when i connect my ipod , itunes doesnt open and wont let me edit anything..... it also says that the ipod is in my g drive. Can someone please help me...thank you

Anonymous

Hi, I am getting a new i-pos shuffel and I need to know how to download songs? Can you tell me?

emonroe726
Unregistered guest
For the corrupt file, all you folks have to do is follow iPOD3000's instructions. He/she explained them perfectly and the explanation instantly fixes the problem. Here is the explanation again courtesy of iPOD3000:

All you need to do is run ChkDsk from the command prompt with the iPod drive name and the /f switch. For example, my iPod appears in Windows explorer as drive K:

To fix go to Start, Run and type the following without the square brackets [chkdsk K: /f].

That'll sort it.

ASHJAV
Unregistered guest
Help. I tried to use the chkdisk thingy that iPod3000 suggested but nothing works. Nothing will load onto my iPod. What to do?

Username: Abi87

DarlingtonUnited kingdom

my ipod wont connect to my computer i9t says its connected but nothing is happening

Username: Abi87

DarlingtonUnited kingdom

please help

Username: Briggsjeff

Ottawa, Ont

Hey i deleted all the files off my ipod and now my ipod will not read right when i plug it in i have tryed the restore program and it said ipod will not mount and i have tryed to reformat it but when i right click on the icon in (My Computer) it just locks up i have lights flashing on my ipod when i plug it into the usb port i just don't know what to do plz help !

Username: Msr425

Hi! I have a Video iPOD 30G and have come across the issue with the 'ChkDsk' and that my iPOD won't load any songs. I've rebooted my iPOD and downloaded the system update from Apple to no avail. I've also tried doing ipod3000's recommendation (chkdsk F: /f). I'm not sure if I'm doing it right though, because the only way my computer reconizes that my iPOD is plugged in is when it's trying to upload songs so the command won't go through. Do you have any suggestions?

Username: 1027angie1027

My problem is the exact same as Jackie the Magnificent...i just got my ipod nano yesterday....and when i uploaded songs onto it,it worked great. but when i tried to add more songs...they wouldn't show...then when i plugged it back up...it deleted all songs and now i have an ipod with no music >:-(!!!!! when i plug it upo it gives me all types of messages such as "\iPod_Control\iTunes\iTunesDB is corrupted and unreadable. Please run the chkdsk utility" and "iTunes.exe-corrupt file: and this is new: "the ipod cannot be updated because there is not enough free space in the selected playlist." how is there not enough free space if my ipod has no music on it????? somebody please help me i just spent all of my money on a product that doesnt work!!!!! please, i need someones help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Username: Footballgirl

Does anyone have problems with uploading CD's into itunes? The artist and song titles will not transfer over. I am setting up my nano and have never had these issues when using my mini, however this is a different computer. Is there something within itunes I am not going correctly? I also get a message when updating the nano that the there is not enough disk space and half the files are corrupt. Any information would be helpful

Username: Kelz22

i have an ipod shaffle and i get it cannot read or write to ipod i have tryed every thing and cheaked every thing and still no luck as anyone else had this problem

Username: Karlo0013

iPod3000 Thanx a lot for ur help, It worked for me.

Username: Vonnie_cee

I'm havin the same problem as most ppl on here, the chkdsk utility thing didnt work, and its still comin up (\ipod_control\itunes\itunesDB is corrupt & unreadable) But when i plug my ipod mini in its sayin to not disconnect & on itunes its says its transferrin song but once finished they are not appearin onmy ipod

Gold Member

Post Number: 9198
The fact that it does not transfer the songs and you continue to have problems, verify the pop-up. Your unit has a bad drive. Send it in for service.

Username: St619

I have an Ipod video and i can't get the videos i downloaded from itunes on my ipod. i went to edit/prefences/ipod but it says no ipod connected and my ipod is connected. what do i do?

Username: Kevjr

I have an ipod shuffle. I deleted all my songs yet it says I have used 318 mb and have 176mb free? How can I reset this thing back to its original settings with no songs at all?

Username: Bx_massacre

how do u find wats ur ipod driver name?

Username: Ipod

N, N Uk

i keep getting this error message and although i tunes sayes it's updated my i pod it's not updated it ipod_control\itunes\temp file 11 is corrupt and unreadable help please!

Username: Tinylin2

iPod3000, You rock!!
I spent hours trying to figure out this problem.
I'm not a member of this board, but I became one, solely for the purpose of saying, THANK YOU!
And thanks for the taking the time to share that solution and saving me more hours of hair pulling!

Username: Melgemini

I'm receiveing an unknown error message -48 and also exclamation points are appearing next to some of my songs when i look at them on iTunes under my iPod, they play fine on my iTunes library. Also when i go to listen to my ipod they don't play!!! HELP!!!

Username: Rossive

When i take songs from any other cpu with my iPod shuffle and connect it to my cpu to try to upload the songs to my libary it pops up "The iPod is linked to another itunes music library. Do you want to change the link to this itunes music library and replace all existing songs on this ipod with those from this library YES OR NO" and when i click NO i do not have access to the iPod

Platinum Member

Post Number: 12501
That's because iPod will not allow you to download content from one PC to another. It is usually exclusive to one PC and one iPod. You need a separate software to extract the music that you copied from another PC.

If you want to copy music from another computer, it would be easier to just download it to a memory card or external hard drive and transfer it to your iTunes library.

Username: Rossive

I WILL DO THAT..THANKS DUDE.

Username: Omceer

Yeah. My iPod, when I go to update it it says something about the \iPod_Control\iTunes\Temp File being corrupted or unreadable please run chkdsk, then i go to the command prompt and do all that and it says chkdsk cannot be continued in read-only mode. How do I fix this? Prompt answers will be apreciated.

Username: Aw_nano

ok now the problem is that i have IPOD NANO and i used to upload songs v frequently but uptil now i cant do anything...i cant even load songs into the library nor into the ipod..i have loaded the new version 7.0 but yet i cant sort out the problem.
PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE if anyone can help me i dont want to delete my old songs as it says to restore..dude!!! i dont want to restore as i have got my family pics in it too....im so sick n tired of listening few old songs that i have stopped listening to my ipod...pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee anyone...anyoneeeeeeeeee....nothing is uploading...anyoneeeeeeeeeeee helppppppppp pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Username: Mjosephmit

Thank You ipod300!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your help was awesome man and help me reassert my musical capabilities. :-)

Username: Rickyt

Hi there i have a Ipod Shuffle and it doesnt seem to connect to my pc, i phone apple tech support and they said i should take it down to my local apple store which i will do tommorow.
ive done that thing that ipod3000 said and that didnt work.
Ive removed itunes and installed it again.

There is a story going about that ipod shuffles or ipods in general dont like DELL PC'S.
I have a dell laptop and it did connect for a while but later stopped.
If u guys have a Dell pc then thats probably it.
I do have a normal pc and i tryed connecting it and even still it doesnt seem to work.
I was thinking of getting a nano but now im just put-off getting one because i could have a 8 gig normal sony walkman for like the price of a 4 gig ipod.

IPODS ARE CRAP

Username: Oakdog00

Try this...

If anyone receives such a message, I was able to correct it by:
-Plugging in your iPod to your PC
-Ignore the error messages
-Go to My Computer
-Find your iPod's drive letter (ie. G:-)
-Right-click on it and select Properties
-Go to Tools Tab >Error-checking and select Check Now
You should be able to sync your iPod as before. I do not claim to be an expert so be warned that it may not work for you. Good luck!

Username: Mymusic

Have you checked if you have enough free space on your iPod's hd? Maybe you're trying to add more that what it can take... or maybe itunes it's just not transferring your songs.

Username: Jackv10

When i try to put a song on my shuffle it takes like 3 min. and then the song does not go in the shuffle.
PLEASE HELP.

Email:Jackvan10@gmail.com
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us