Moving iTunes to new lap top library --??

Username: Kaitlin

Post Number: 1
I just bought a new lap top and have put the iTunes software on it, but...how do I get my over 1,500 songs in my Library to the Library on my new lap top?? Someone please help!!!!!

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 8864
Back up your music files on to a disk and transfer it to your laptop. From there you can put it in your iTunes library.

Post Number: 2
So does that mean that I have to burn every song on a cd or something? That would take an awful lot of cds, lol. How do I just save them to a dish without burning them all????

Gold Member

Post Number: 8928
You can also save them to a DVD.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

USA

Post Number: 3669
Berny, the constant agony of posting in this forum and dealing with its stupidity is like nothing else.

Kaitlin: Back them up to an external hard drive or burn them to DVD like Berny said. I'm not being mean, but I doubt you have the capacity to do either of the aforementioned options without a lot of extra help. Take your laptop to a computer center and have them do it for you.

Post Number: 3
Thanks..I guess...for "answering" my question, but...why are you just bashing people's questions/questions that you know the answers to? "Dealing with it's stupidity"...this is a place where people can post questions they have and don't know the answers to, am I wrong? Meaning, just because you may know the answer, doesn't mean it's a stupid question or that you have to deal with "stupidity". Get over it.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3674
You're just a meaningless poster to me that means nothing. Once your question is answered, you'll leave and never return again.

If you would have searched the forum, you would have found the answer to your question. Why do you think there are iPod threads with 800+ posts? Because people like you don't search. :-)

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3675
Since I'm such a cool guy, here's the answer to your question.

You need to buy an external hard drive (USB connectivity) just like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007WULLE

You might need a bigger size depending on how many GBs of music you have. You might even be able to buy something cheaper if you don't need 40GB. Also, if you can use ebay, they have much better prices.

Plug it in to your computer, and it shows up as a new drive (If it doesn't work the first time, restart the computer and then it will appear). Copy/paste all of the songs in your iTunes folder to it. Then click 'safely remove hardware' in the system tray. Unplug it, plug it in to your new laptop, get it to recognize the new drive, copy/paste all of the files to the new laptop and BOOM you've done it.

DVD and CDs won't hold all of your music on one disc and the process is something I wouldn't even subject myself to.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3676
By the way, I don't define stupidity as lack of knowledge, I define it as laziness.

Gold Member

USA

Post Number: 3677
If you've been on this forum as long as I have, you'd know that it gets annoying when people don't search for the answer. Sorry.

Post Number: 4
I do appreciate your help...that's the kind of answer I was looking for in th first place. Sorry, didn't think about searching for my question on here...just wanted it answered.Thanks though.

Username: Saltj

Post Number: 1
I have two related but slightly different problems that I hope someone will help me with. I HAVE searched (various places) for answers to this! Both are iTunes issues, at least in part.

Problem 1: I networked two laptops together, one that will rip commercial CDs but won't rip non-commercial CDs; the other has no problem copying any CDs. I had ripped 100s of CDs to the former, and wanted to add the non-commercial CDs. I ripped them all to a 500GB external HD. After successfully ripping some of the non-commercial CDs to the second laptop using iTunes and seeing no difference in how they were added to its hard drive (proper artist and album folders), I then tried to add them to the first laptop using iTunes "add a folder" via the network, and the songs imported but lost most of the song id (no artist, year, track #, album, and added the track number to the song name). I also tried adding them by connecting the external hard drive with all the songs from the commercial CDs to the second laptop, with the same results: lost artist/album.etc info. What gives? How do I consolidate two librarys on two networked PCs while keeping the song info? HELP?! iTunes SAYS it does this easily (losing ratings, history, etc, but NOT artist, album, track #, year, etc), but that is not the case here. In fact, I reversed the process, trying to "add a folder" from the first machine to the second, and had the same result: it imported the files but dropped the artist, album, etc info, and moved them all into an "Unknown artist" folder. Thanks in advance.

Problem 2: On a related issue, and incredibly frustratingly, this AM while half awake I experimented with adding the entire folder of 100s of correctly named files to the iTunes library on the second laptop, via the connected the external hard drive. The result: it added all the songs, but dropped the artist, album, etc info, AND MOVED THEM ALL INTO AN "UNKNOWN ARTIST" FOLDER ON THE EXTERNAL DRIVE, SO NOW EVEN WHEN RECONNECTING THE HARD DRIVE TO THE FIRST COMPUTER IN WHICH ITUNES HAD ALL THE ARTIST INFO, ITUNES CAN'T FIND THE FILES SINCE THE ARTIST/ALBUM FOLDERS WERE ALL ELIMINATED!! My only choices appear to be to re-rip all the CDs or manually go through the iTune's 'locate the file' process for each of the over 3000 songs. So, in addition to asking (above) how to move songs from one PC to another and keeping the artist info, my second question is 'is there any relatively easy way to reconnect the songs with the artist info that iTunes already has, so I don't have to re-rip them all?!'

Thanks in advance for any help, even if it's only solace you can offer.

Gold Member

Post Number: 9224
Simple, when iTunes rips any song from the CDs all the ID is also ripped from the CD. This information, however, is not embedded into the songs itself via iTunes for some reason iTunes has this nasty quirk.

If you rip by other programs, the information stays.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us