Quality of ouput from iPods

Username: Gavalakis

Post Number: 1
Hey there,

I was wondering what this group's overall thoughts were on using an iPod as a source. Reluctantly, I have caved over the past 18 months and digitized my entire CD collection (~300 CDs). Jazz, rock, pop, fusion - lots of different stuff. I am about to go out an purchase a pair of B&W 683 speakers to use with my Apt Holman pre-amp & amp.

I was wondering what the groups' thoughts were on using an iPod as the source for my music as compared to a good/descent CD player? I've compressed ALL of my CDs to 192Mb/sec. I've always wondered about the pre-amp output from the iPod is like. Although it sounds pretty good, I HAVE to believe that I'm sacrificing some sound quality. The pre-amp in a $200 MP3 player can't be as good as a CD player. But man, for convenience, you can't beat it. But I will go back to CDs in a second if there's a significant difference.

So just looking for any/all of your experiences. I'm just gonna sit back and read, so blog away!! :-)

Greg

Silver Member
Username: Magfan

USA

Post Number: 865
The tradeoff is space vs quality. MP3 at the lowest bitrate is no better than AM radio but takes up little memory.
Your choice of 192 is OK, but you'll be able to tell.

ALAC, which is Apple Lossless and FLAC, which is 'Free Lossless Audio Code' are both indistinguishable from the original CD, when played on a decent system. Lossless will reduce the file size by what...about 1/3 or so? Some tunes more, some less.

My practice is to bring 'em into the computer as ALAC using I tunes. The option is in 'preferences'. Than, I copy the album to MP3 160, which is perfect for the car. The lossless goes to the home stereo and the MP3s end up on the 'pod.

That being said, the DA section of the Ipod is only OK. To get the Best out of it, you need a way to get at the Digital Files. There may be others now, but check out the Wadia

http://www.wadia.com/products/transports/170i/

for about 380$ this is a 'bargain' in hi-end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us