Which to buy next: Surrounds, DVD player, Sub? (Again)

Username: Sgtpeper

Post Number: 12
Ive been gone for a bit so Im really curious if someone could PLEASE answer this question for me.
As some of you know I have the following setup so far: PE 45tx, Monitor Audio S8 fronts Silver center 12i center (which I did go to saturday audio while im home and compare to the SLCR and my 12i sounds as good if not better)
Currently I have some old JBL sub and Im using some old yamaha bookshelf speakers for surrounds. AND sadly for a DVD player I am currently still using my PS2 hooked up through component and optical connections.
My question is, what would you get next? DVD player, sub or surrounds, and which would you get? Im not really sure which I should get.
Thanks
Jeff

Username: Edison

Post Number: 176
LiteOn DVD 2002 for $120 shipped from online (search for the best price)

Which Yamaha speakers?

Username: Valeem

Post Number: 15
I second James suggestion of a DVD player as the PS2 makes for a pretty awful DVD player. Try one of Pioneer's universal players they are very good for movie use and will also allow for multi-channel music.

Post Number: 13
i was thinkin about the pioneer dvd player thats 179 or whatever, but would I actually be better off saving for the elite one? I dont have an HDTV I just have a sony Wega 27" flat screen right now... But you never know in the future.
Thanks

Post Number: 20
Well I suppose if you will be upgrading your telly in the near future you will be better off with the Elite. Either way they will blow the socks off the PS2.

Not sure about the Elite receiver designations in America (they all go by the Pioneer brand where I am) but does your receiver have a firewire connection?

Post Number: 14
No I have the 45tx which is the previous model to the 55tx which is the american one with firewire...

Post Number: 24
Anything from pioneer that does not have firewire as you won't need to budget for that item then.

Best of luck!

so definetely go for the dvd player? And you think the 563A is a good unit to get?
THanks You can check it out on pioneers site here
2076_15020669_2046370%2C00.html,http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/de tail/0,,2076_15020669_2046370,00.html

Post Number: 26
Yes, definately go for a DVD player and the 563A looks like an excellent player. Seems to have all the features you will likely require e.g. Progressive Scan, DVD-Audio, SACD and it even makes for a reasonable CD player. If you are still unsure try to get a demo from a local retailer. If your american versions perform as well as the ones here then you won't be disappointed as they tend to get rave reviews. I think for the money the Pioneer will be hard to beat.

Post Number: 16
Bump
Any more opinions/advice?

Username: Heff

Post Number: 52
The 563A is a nice, inexpensive unit which will let you try out both SACD and DVD-A formats.

Post Number: 17
i just wish it was black :-) any other suggestions for which dvd player to go with?
Thanks

Username: Gman

Post Number: 96
There is no universal DVD player in the price range of the Pioneer 563a. It is nice, but it has some flaws. But under $200 it is unbeatable.

You have to go up to the universal Denon 2200 which is a very fine machine and the cheapest price I have seen is at etronics.com which will deliver it just under $500.

The Pioneer Elite 47AVi matches your receiver, but since you don't have i-link (firewire) you would have to connect it to your receiver (45tx)just like you would the Denon 2200 or the cheaper Pioneer. I have seen the 47AVi at etronics.com at about $650. Used at Audiogon I have seen it at $560 (bluebook)

As I bought the 47avi a year ago and also have the Pioneer Elite 49Txi I may buy the new 59AVi dvd player that lists at $1600, but can be gotten at around $1100.

I have a friend that I told I would sell it to him for $475 if I get the new dvd player in 2 weeks. If he doesn't end up getting it I would offer it at the same price to you. Of course I realize it may be more than you want to spend. But owning a business I can always throw in free shipping.

Anyway, don't feel any pressure to get it. I can always do better on ebay or audiogon. And I am not in a money squeeze.

Buy what you can afford and what makes you happy.

Username: Avdude

Post Number: 34
I also vote for the 563A.
I have one and think it is a steal, considering all its capabilities.
I got it for $161 + tax (after 10% off coupon at a US retailer).

I love using it to play SACD and DVD-Audio discs.
It also plays VCDS, SVCDs, MP3s on CD-R, and both DVD-R and DVD+R for those who like to make home movies and put them on DVD media.

I think it also plays all the RW equivalents, but I haven't tried personally.

Username: Smitty

Post Number: 14
How about the Pioneer Elite DV-45a universal player? It can be had on-line in the $340-$400 range and also comes in black. It has burr-brown DACs. Anyone know if it's worth the extra money over the 563a? Would it be better at playing CDs?

Username: Smitty

I just noticed that the Pioneer Elite DV-45a has the chroma bug, too bad...it seems like a good player otherwise. See:
Chroma bug

Post Number: 18
G-Man
Lemme know if your friend does not buy your dvd player. My email is jeffrey.plous@colorado.edu

Post Number: 19
Also let me be clear that price is a concern but Im more interrested in the dvd player that fits my system. Since I dont have HDTV or a plasma and probably wont for another few years, do I really need as much dvd player as the 47avi is?

dubz
Unregistered guest
whats the chroma bug? i have the sd-2800 (toshiba) which is on the "bad" list, never had any problems

dubz
Unregistered guest
nevermind, found an article about it. only using a 36" crt standard def tv, so im not to worried about it right now, got enough stuff to buy.

Post Number: 20
Bump any more opinions?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us