CAN HIGH RECORDING LEVELS CAUSE VIBRATION?

Unregistered guest
I recently purchased the SONY W500C. When recording live Karoake onto a CDRW many times I get a message stating recording could not be completed due to vibration.

Is CD burning so sensitive that, while not going into the red, too high a recording level setting could cause vibration? I just lowered the level a bit and ceased getting this message. I also start, stop, erase tracks and continue recording a lot. Could this be a factor leading to vibration?

Any insight to this would be appreciated.

Bronze Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 18
yes, cd burning is a sensitive process. It is even more sensitive to feedbacks. It happens a lot when your recorder is too close to the live source, you get a feedback loop much like when the mike is too close to the speakers.

When recording direct to a cd, which is not recommended, you have to make sure that the recorder is isolated and avoid over saturation. Don't let the peak levels go into the red.

Do try to get your peak level reading so that you can adjust the recording levels prior to the actual writing on the cd.
I do analog recordings first and make my adjustments from there before finalizng tracks on a cd.

cheers

Unregistered guest
Berny,

Thanks so much for your feedback - you certainly answered my questions and alleviated my fears that the recorder migh be defective (after my experience with the KLH CDR 2000 I'm leary of anything).

Due to space limitation my CD recorder cannot be isolated from the speakers and receiver - it is maybe 3 feet in front and lower down from my left channel bookshelf speaker. I have kept the receiver volume up when recording Karaoke (to hear the proper voice balancing) so your information about feedback definately applies to my situation (my peak levels were adjusted not to go into the red).

I considered initially recording onto VHS HIFI but it is easier for dubbing purposes to record onto a CDRW then synching onto CDR for finalization.

So now that I understand my set-up is an acoustical feeback nightmare when recording karaoke I will keep the receiver volume low - if this still causes vibration I'll use multiple CDRW's to complete the session.

I might also consider using headphones (my wife uses earplugs when I'm singing).

Berny, again thanks for all your help.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Add Your Message Here

Bold text Italics Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image Add a YouTube Video
Need to Register?
Forgot Password?
Enable HTML code in message

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us