RF Modulator Grief with TX-NR901

Username: Jastaylor

Post Number: 5
I'm sure this isn't a problem specific to my Onkyo but I have an old TV (hold snickers please) that doesn't even have composite inputs. So I got a little radio shack RF modulator and hooked up my Monitor Out on the receiver to it (its old so its using composite video). 2 Problems arise: 1-Whenever the receiver is on it takes over the TV regardless of video output settings or anything; basically whenever power is on it takes over. 2-It clobbers all channels not just channel 3.

not sure if I'm missing a setting somewhere or should just get a newer RF modulator (this ones pretty old)

Thx,
J

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 350
RF Modulators basically broadcast the composite signal on channel 3/4. Generally, the RF modulators "disconnect" the antenna connection and broadcast only what's received on the composite jack when in use.

I don't know how to overcome that problem without an expensive "combiner". You could try a new RF modulator. It should have a selector to turn it "on and off". That way, you can watch TV -- normally -- while listening to the stereo or doing other things with your receiver.

You're not the only one with a modulator. A friend of mine uses one as well.

Username: Jastaylor

Post Number: 6
Hmm. Nothing would suck more than something that I have to manually toggle. Maybe I should just by a new TV? What I thought was strange was that the modulator thinks there is a video signal whenever the receiver is powered on. I thought that if I shut the video out off on the receiver it would prevent sending a signal but that doesn't seem to work.

Silver Member
Username: Geekboy

Newport, RI United States

Post Number: 354
Jason: sorry for the delay. Buying a new TV, of course, would quickly solve this issue! Most new televisions have composite and s-video connections (as well as audio) on the rear. This is in additional to the RF coaxial cable input.

Unregistered guest
Hi, I have an old model tv so I bought a RF Modulator to watch dvd's but there are bar lines that run up and down the screen. Any suggestions

bdb
Unregistered guest
you may or may not have figured this out by now, but i'll post anyway:

the RF modulator is too 'sensitive', and is picking up tv signals and displaying them as 'ghosts' when you're attempting to watch a DVD.

resolution: via the switch at the back of the device, set your RF modulator to the other channel (generally either 3 or 4) from the one that it is currently set to - this should do the trick. worked for me...

;]

bdb
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us