Harman Kardon AVR 5550

Username: Omarj

Post Number: 7
I have just changed my Denon 3805 with the Harman Kardon AVR 5550. This is after a week of listening to the Denon. I find the bass quality much better with the HK. I am running them with Def Tech Speakers BP 8B in the front CLR 2003 Center and Promonitor 200 for surrounds. Any comments on whether this is a good match. I can always get the Denon back, but found it a bit bright sounding. I also checked the HK AVR 507 (limited edition). Did not find that much of a difference. My room is 15 ft by 21 ft. Just wanted to know if I have made the right choice with regards to the receiver and speakers.Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 699
If you like it, it's good. Of course there could be even better options, but as far as I know H/K and Deftech are a nice combo. The 507LE (about the same as AVR330) is a newer but lower model than the AVR5550, you should compare at least AVR430 or AVR630 against AVR5550.

Username: Omarj

Post Number: 8
Thanks. So are you saying that the models you mentioned are better options? If not what would you recommend. I was thinking of trying the Arcam avr200 to see how it sounds, and then later when I can afford it upgrade to the avr300 or the avr250 when it is released. Your thoughts please. I like warm sound basically which i why i changed the Denon.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 702
I listened the 3805 today and it was really awfull, extremely bright in my opinion.

The Arcam AVR200 is a bit old, but it sounds ok. If you want to try something else I recommend NAD T763 and maybe also the new Marantz SR7500 and SR8500.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us