Yamaha RX-V1400 or Onkyo TX-NR801 or OnkyoTX-NR900

Username: Rahul

Post Number: 1
Need your suggestions replacing my 5 year old Sony STR-DE 485 receiver.
I have Five ( 5.1-channel) pair of Direct/Reflecting cube (small) speakers mounted on the wall and a powered Bose subwoofer.

All I am looking for is very clear natural and live sound to listen to DVD movies and HDTV programming. I am trying to pick between Yamaha RX-V1400, Onkyo TX-NR801 or Onkyo TX-NR900. What I read from lot of reviews is that Yamaha RX-V1400 has a laid back sound but it is packed with all the goodies while Onkyo-NR800/801 sound great but does not have component video out which is important to me having a HDTV to watch old VHS and Direct TV. OnkyoTX-NR900 has everything but the sound quality is not as good as Onkyo-NR800/801 or even Yamaha RX-V1400.
Would have bought Denon AVR- 3805 if I had that much to spend.

Any suggestions which one to get???

Post Number: 2
Forgot to mention Direct/Reflecting cube (small) speakers are Bose speakers.

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 693
Well if you keep your Bose speakers it wont matter which one you buy. You wont hear the difference.
Why does the NR901 sound worse than the NR801?

Post Number: 5
Can't afford to buy new speakers right now, the Bose costed me $1200 when I bought so can't get rid of it that easy.

I saw few professional reviews that says RX-V2400 sound better then NR900 and NR800 sound better then RX-V1400. RX-V1400 and RX-V2400 is basically same receivers except myltyroom capability...so that tells me NR800 sound better then NR900..

Silver Member

Post Number: 694
Well that's BS. I can find you any kind of reviews where this and that are better/worse/same than that and this. Of course there are absolutely better and worse amps, but usually it's a question of personal preference and matching with other equipement.

Out of those I would get the Onkyo 801 or 901 if it's not much more expensive. They have good features and ok sound. Here's a review where 801 was selected overall winner over Denon 3805, Yamaha 1400 etc. You can translate it with Babelfish:
http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/avr_mastertest.shtml

Post Number: 6
landroval,
Thank you for the link. I am really surprised that NR801 is so much more expensive then Denon AVR- 3805 in Europe, it is just other way around in US.
It seems like their decision is somewhat biased by price.

Silver Member

Post Number: 695
Yes, so it seems. Reviews are indicative, but you should not make your decision based on them.

The lowest prices I could find for 801 and 900 are around 1100euro, while the AVR3805 is around the same.

Post Number: 7
Here is a posting comparing Onkyo 900 and Yamaha 2300:

https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/2805.html
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us