Receiver Overload

Username: Gobble1

GAINESVILLE, FL United States

Post Number: 1
My Technics receiver began creating popping noises in a surround speaker a few weeks ago. Now the overload message comes on frequently and the sound cuts off. I have unhooked all of the speakers and the overload still comes up. The receiver was recently moved inside a cabinet but now I've moved it out to diagnose. Could heat entrapment in the cabinet have caused this There is an open area at the back of the cabinet about 3"x6" and there is about 6" of space at the rear of the receiver and about 3" on the top and sides. I've checked the speaker wires and find nothing wrong with them. Do you think that it's corrctable or should I opt for a new receiver as this one is a '98 model. Thanks

John 85212
Unregistered guest
I have a good sounding 1998 Technics SA-AX6 with the SH-AC500D DD/DTS decoder. About two years ago I started getting this loud pop with an overload meesage and all sound would cut out. I would power it off, let it cool and try again with little luck. I did all the things you did but nothing worked. Sometimes it would do it constantly then it would be fine for a week. I took it to a local Technics/Panasonic authorized repair shop for a diagnosis. Bad capacitor, $110. for labor and parts. I had it fixed and it's been perfect ever since, just rocks for movies. I would suggest doing the same, I wasted too much time and frustration trying to solve the issue myself. You can go to the Panasonic website and find a local shop to fix your unit. I tend to favor authorized shops because they may have more experience with specific nuances and issues with the product. There's nothing more frustrating then getting something fixed only to have the same problem return in short order.

I don't know what the cause was or if it was just normal wear and tear. Two things that concerned me were excessive heat and my Bose speakers I used to have. I say that because the same thing happened to my previous receiver using those speakers. Maybe the power distribution out of the speakers crossover put too much of a load on the amp. At high volume the Bose bass unit would put out very little low end and yet the cubes were loud. I would think to myself, were is the all that low end power going since the speakers weren't putting it out? I speculate that the Bose engineers, knowing their system is incapable of handling low frequencies, designed a crossover to protect the speakers but had the effect of increasing resistance on the lower end and straining the amp. My new speakers put out so much more power and volume out of the same amp so where was all that power going before?

Another change since the receiver was fixed is that I have installed a fan in the back of the cabinet and moved the decoder off the receiver. I originally set it up like the SA-AX6 promo pictures with the decoder on top. Big mistake, the cabinet was an oven. So now the receiver has 5" of clearance on top and is in a fan vented cabinet. It stays cool under a heavy load and I have had no problems since.

John 85212
Unregistered guest
One more thing, I overlooked your question about getting a new receiver. That comes down to how happy tou are with your current unit and money. The new units have Pro-Logic II, built in decoders, better DSP's, digital inputs, nicer universal remotes, component video jacks, OSD's, etc. The basic amplifier section might be a little better but I think the biggest evolution in the newer units is in the processing and features.

I just bought a Pioneer VSX-1014 for all the new features as it is loaded with bells and whistles for the price. But I have to say, I was still enjoying movies, music and the basic performance of my SA-AX6 so the decision to upgrade has to be a personal choice depending on your circumstances. My 2 cents; If you want more power, all the new DSP features and digital inputs then upgrade, but if you are happy with your current recievers performance and connections then don't bother if you can get it fixed for $100 or less.

Username: Gobble1

GAINESVILLE, FL United States

Post Number: 3
Thanks John; this seems to be exactly what my problem is (I have an SAAX7). I also have Bose Acoustimass speakers. It's a quandry as I hate to not use the speakers. I'm thinking of getting it repaired (it's over 60 miles to an authorized repair shop tho) and installing more ventillation. What kind of a little fan did you use/ where did you get it?

John 85212
Unregistered guest
Bill, read this thread. Another person had heat concerns and I described my fan solution.

http://athenaspeakers.com/micra6SystemSpeakers.htm

They are so much better then the Bose, night and day improvement. Satellites have their limits compared to full sized speakers but these sound beautiful. I never knew how good the SA-AX6 receiver sounded until I got these. I also run an additional 12" powered sub, nothing puts out the lows like a 12" or 15" sub.

Bose has a large following so there's a great market for them on Ebay.

Anonymous

If you are going to use PIONEER ELITES or the 914,1014 or last year's model 912 or 2012 or higher end receivers, I suggest check out audiogon or any of the high end speaker systems in the net...ATHENA and BOSE is a joke when compared to REAL MUSIC making high end speaker systems like SOUNDLAB, INNERSOUND, QUADS, MAGNEPANS, MARTIN LOGANS, APOGEES, WILSON AUDIO, EMINENT TECHNOLOGY, FINAL and OHM'S to name a few...by the way, these are primarily PLANARS AND ESL'S or electrostatics...if you want REAL live sounding instruments or movies. After owning and listening to planars and electrostatics, You wouldn't want to return to those old CONVENTIONAL DRIVERS!!!

Most of these speaker systems are unaffordable by the average consumer, but the smaller MAGNEPANS, SRS LABS...(klayman signatures..www.srslabs.com)are within reach from $300 to $400...www.magnepan.com
Not knocking Athena or BOSE since I used to own the 901's...they are just of lower caliber though very good companies but OVERPRICED like JBL'S...
If you want affordable high end sounding speakers that are pound for pound better than the discussed companies making conventional designs, check out www.fluance.com or FLUANCE, www.sdat.com or www.stream.com
I have 25 yrs audio experience and 3 years professional as a high end home theater installer, with many electronics background. I am also an audiophile and collector of speakers. I just like to test them.

For the uninformed, LOTS of excellent speaker manufacturer worldwide...check german, austrailian, british and finnish manufacturers. You'd be amazed of the great innovations such countries have introduced in the world of audio. The same for upcoming CHINESE high end rivalling Japanese electronics. Lots of GREAT AMERICAN manufacturers not known to the public besides mainstream companies like BOSE, JBL'S, SONY, KENWOOD, ONKYO,PANASONIC, RCA, GE, ATHENA, KLH, PHILIPS, MAGNAVOX, BIC.
KLIPSCH,INFINITY, WHARFEDALE,POLK AND ALTEC LANSING are up there with the BIG BOYS like AXIOM in the high end conventional driver arena.
ATHENA and BOSE are good for mid grade receivers like sony, kenwood, pioneer, onkyo, denon, panasonic, jvc, yamaha, sherwood, harmon kardon mid-level receivers.

Username: Facundo

La PalomaUruguay

I Need a circuit diagram for a Technics SA GX350 amplifier please help me

Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

To: mr. WILLIAM DUNK!
You should have it look at by a reputable service repair technician by looking online or checking the service dealers in your warranty card for TECHNICS. When I was stationed in OKINAWA JAPAN in the 80's, I discovered that TECHNICS AND PANASONIC is the same manufacturer like HITACHI and MITSUBISHI. But before you take it in, from my 25 yrs experience in audio, it sounds like BAD IMPEDANCE MATCHING! For example, if your receiver only puts out 4 ohms and you connect an 8 ohm load, it will overload your speakers...vice versa, it will overload your receiver/amp due to the doubling of current or downsizing depending on the mismatch running thru your wires and into the speaker or receiver/amp. If you have circuit protector for overloads which most decent receivers do, it will cut off or shutdown...some will have indicators flashing on the menu!
Hope this helps!
armyscout42

Username: Armyscout42

DUGWAY , UTAH USA

Post Number: 2
To: mr. FACUNDO
As a former technician, YOU NEED TO WRITE OR EMAIL www.technics.com or www.panasonic.com and ask for a list of their service dealers or manufacturing plant in order to get a circuit diagram or schematics/blueprints.

All repair shops order directly from the manufacturer, although there are printing companies that correlates with the manufacturers for schematic purchases directed at repair shops.
Hopes this help!

armyscout42
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us