New Front speakers

Username: Dan_the_man

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 9
Hello everyone. I have a budget system. But would like to get into the "next" level. I have $2000 cnd to spend on front speakers, and would like to audition some speakers in this price range. Right now i am replacing Infinity rs-5's, i think they sound too boomy.

I have an Hk avr 125, and i am in an apartment. And i have an svs 20-39 Pc +. The neighbours are very forgiving is all i can say.

I was at a shop a little while ago and heard the Von Schweikert Vr-1's and was blown away. Very detailed speakers, but it was also hooked up to about 15 grand of rotel seperates.

Can anyone make some suggestions? I was thinking of going back to book shelf because of the WAF factor and the fact that i have sufficient bass now. Is this a good move? Any and all opinions welcomed Thanks in advance

Username: Rkvfire

Vancouver, British Colu... Canada

Post Number: 7
lol wow, u do have good neighbours. Athenas are nice.

Gold Member
Username: Project6

Post Number: 1340
Check out Axiom Speakers.

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 10
The axioms look estically pleasing to the eye. However being a web based company i guess there is no place to audtion these right?

I bought the svs that way, so no big deal i am a gambling man lol. I just wish i could hear them!!!!!! But the reviews seem pretty solid.

I am a canadian so i like the idea of spending that kind of money in canada BUT have you heard these speakers berny? I have read many of your posts and respect your opnion, i was just wondering ..

Gold Member

Post Number: 1348
Oh yeah, I have auditioned the Axioms and currently have the M60 and the M80. I go through a few speakers and these I really like. You can actually try them out for 30 days and if you don't like it, you can return them, less shipping of course. They are aesthetically pleasing and delightful on the ears as well.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1349
Oh and also, I think you have made an excellent choice with the SVS subs, i like them better than the Axiom subwoofer. I think the SVS packs more punch.

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 14
That epic 50 combination might be just want i need, minus the subwoofer of course. I would like to have matching cabinents again, some of the available finishes on the axioms are quite nice. Those Quadpolar rears look interesting as well.

The SVS is awesome, my only regret is that i didn't go for the ultra......but then i would be looking for a new place to live for sure. lol

What word would you use to describe the characteristic of these speakers, or they just awesome?? I was looking at some of the frequency response graphs and the looked a little shaky in the mid range, but then again i have very limited understanding of these graphs. Would these be comparable to say paradigm in sound?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1359
Awesome is definitely a word I would associate with these offering from Axiom. The midrange and highs are very detailed with excellent staging and a bit brighter than the Paradigm but not harsh.

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 65
AXIOM is a company that literally blew me away. I was going to buy an expensive JMLab system until I had decided to try these. Incredible.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1361
And you can actually get the wife involved by letting her choose the finish that will go well with the decor:-)

Bronze Member
Username: Danman

Post Number: 69
A man of logic!

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 16
That's too funny, that's exactly what i was trying to do this afternoon. hahahah

Do you think the avr 125 has enough to confidently power the epic 50 series to a modest level?

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 18
Also i have been reading the difference is the m60 and the m50. From what i gather i shouldn't waste my time with the M50's. Any ideas on that?
Has anyone heard the two? I can't believe the frequency response on either one of these speakers. Btw i have the greeen light from the wife... and have some takers on all my old speakers. Oh the madness.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1378
Dan,
The M50 is no slouch, it's just designed for a smaller room. The only difference I noticed between this and the M60 is the ability to fill up a room. The M60 is nice, though!
Welcome to the madness...enjoy it:-)

Bronze Member

London, Ontario Canada

Post Number: 19
Thanks berny. I guess i'll wait until the vultures pick through my old speakers and do it up. Can't decide between the 50's or 60's right now. Well see how much fund-age comes from the old speakers and maybe i'll do the 60's. I'm assuming the 60's will match the qs4's, i definatly don't have the amp for the qs8's, which i assume will be next..... i needs a new hobby! lol
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us