Real weight of NAD T743?

Silver Member
Username: Landroval

Post Number: 394
I was quite surprised to see that a German and a Swedish review had both measured the weight of T743 to be 13.3kg (~29.32lbs). Also the review of 'Chicago Tribune' 06/04 said it was a 29 pound device.

NAD specs claim it to weigth 16,35kg/36lbs net and most retailers say the same (copy+paste clearly). So where did the 3kg/7lbs go? Is NAD trying to get respect with imaginary weigth or what is this?

Bronze Member
Username: Persvako

North Europe

Post Number: 22
Where did you find the reviews? In the magazines or in the Net?

Silver Member

Post Number: 395
Magazines. Swedish Hifi&Music 5/04 and German Audio 6/04.

Silver Member

Post Number: 396
Would anyone with a T743 care to measure the weigth of their unit? info about other models is also welcome.

Username: Bassman61

Adelaide, SA Australia

Post Number: 1
I have a HK AVR5550 receiver and that weighs in at 20Kgs, or 44.1 lbs

Silver Member

Post Number: 408
Ok, seems rigth. How about the T743? Anyone?

Username: Ilari72

Post Number: 2
I have t743, but i cant measure the weight, cause i dont have proper scale.
Some specks from manual:
Shipping weight 16,9kg = 37,2lbs
Net weight 13,3kg = 29,3lbs

Post Number: 3
Landroval, Please tell me more about those reviews: Rankings, Strengths, Weaknesses, etc.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 23
I believe that 13.3 kg is the correct weight.

I'm also interested in those reviews.

Silver Member

Post Number: 409
Ilari72, interesting, NAD specs says:
" Net Weight 36 lbs (16.35kg)
Shipping Weight 39 lbs (18.15kg)"
They dont seem to be interested in changing that.

First review is from a German mag Audio. The review was about 25 different receivers ranging from 350euro to 5300euro. It had models like Yamaha V750, T743, Marantz SR-5400, H/K AVR430, Yamaha RXV-2400, Denon 3805, T773, Rotel RSX-1067, Pioneer AX10Ai-S and so on. They really liked the NADs, the T743 got + from the nice remote and from musical sound especially with music. The - came from minimal setup options with digital multichannel sound. It got 78p wich is the best for any sub 1000e receiver. From stereo sound it got 70p and from multi-ch 85p. The Yam 750 got 73/65/80 (total, 2ch, mch). V2400 got 78/65/90, AVR430 80/70/90, AVR3805 83/75/90, T773 90/85/95 and the RSX1067 100/95/105 to name a few.

The second review is from Swedish mag Hifi&Music. It had 6 low price receiver placed against HK 670 stereo amp. They didn't like NAD too much. They though it had good bass and powerfull sound, but it was too warm, soft and laid back that it was kind of boring to listen, this of cource depends a lot about speakers (they did not specify what they used). It got *** from sound, **** ease of use, *** bang for buck. The testwinner was Sony DB790 wich had excellent sound and no real weaknesses. It got ***** from everything.

There are also some other reviews at the NAD homepage.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 24
Now that I own T753, I have to say that it's really nice, but the sound of the fans can be heard pretty easily. Even if I'm typing here next to my computer, I can hear the fan sound. The distance is about one meter = 3,5 ft. If my roon is silent, I can discribe the sound really annoying. Of course when you listen to music on louder volumes you can't hear it.

Another thing is the humm or hiss sound from the speakers, it's really bad. Even bigger than the fans' sound. With my previous ht-receiver I had no such problems. There was only NAD amp connected to the wall socket, and the hiss was there. So, nothing to do? I think it is a feature. A bad feature.

Anyway, it's a nice device.

Silver Member

Post Number: 453
I have my T743 now and the fan never spins. It stands there doing nothing no matter how loud I play. Maybe my 8ohm speakers are an easy load so no need for cooling.

The hum is present and I'm starting to believe it's a feature on all NADs. Of course it could be caused by unstable power from the wall, but I dont think so. I can live with the hum because I cant hear it when listening to something, not even on quiet moments. It's audible to ~1,5-2m distance from speakers.

One more flaw is the mixing of sound from separate sources. When I play something through a digital input and then switch to another one and set the volume to max (+18dB) I can easily hear the music coming from the other input. It doesn't bother me, but certainly tells something about the design. You cant have audiophile sound quality with a low price without some sacrifices.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 25
Are you sure there're fans at all in your 743? Because they should spin all the time. In previous 7x2 models the fans started spinning when "needed".

I haven't had time to test it enough, only just to try something. Later I'll make full check.

Oh yes, and the tuner seemed to be pretty crap. Some stations couldn't be heard like before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 454
Yes it does have a fan on front of the unit. Never spins, but it's there.

I too had some problems with the tuner, the frequencies seem to be all mixed up. The unit says it gets a channel that should be ~106MHz from 96Mhz. Really dont know why.

Post Number: 5
I have my t743 also.
I agree you with the hiss but i think i can live with it also.
I havent heard the fan yet, I only use Dynaudio 42 frontspeakers at moment? My dyn's really 'woked up' with this receiver. Sound and dynamics are very good.
Tuner has been working great for me, all channels found and the sound is very good. I'm using 'fm mute mode' for all channels.
There's much difference in volume levels between cd/analog / dvd/optical. I'm listening cd's about -25dB - -30dB, DVD's -10db - -15db?
What firmware you guys are using?

Silver Member

Post Number: 455
How do I check the firmware?

Post Number: 6
Firmware: Frontpanel, press "video 6" and "tone defeat" at the same time.
Reboot: Frontpanel, press "video 6" and "source>" at the same time.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 26
I guess none of you has tried that with headphones. Terrible! This hiss is unacceptable! You have to puss so much volume to not to hear the hiss, that it can't be good to your ears in long listening periods. I have to contact to NAD-electronics and ask about that. I remember someone has said that he didn't hear any hum noises with NAD's new amplifiers, but I can't believe that before I hear it, I mean, before I don't hear it. :D The fans I can understand, but not this.

I think 1000 euros, isn't such a "low" price. In case of 300 euros Pioneer I could have accepted this kind of behaviour. And even those are more silent...

Ilari72: I can't find those buttons in my unit..?

Post Number: 7
Sorry about my incorrect last post.
Firmware, mine is 1.27: "video 6" and "tone control"
Pers....: Firmware, try "video" + "audio" etc. etc. I'm sure you can find the right combination.
I have never tried headphones, yet. Lets see...

Silver Member

Post Number: 461
I tried the headphones and the hiss is there, annoying, impossible to not hear it. Also tried my old DE-series Sony with headphones and no hiss at all. I must say that otherwise the sound is very good and pleasant, but all these hisses and humms are a bit annoying.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 27
Yes they are. Othewise I'm also very pleased with the device, but this makes me wonder whether to keep it or not. I think it's better to look for the old threads and find some clues if there're any.

Also with my older Sony, no hiss, no hum. Absolutely silent. Later on I will compare their sounds really deeply. Next week maybe. By now I cannot claim NAD's sound more dynamic or powerful. The Sony did also the job really nice with dyns.

Silver Member

Post Number: 462
In my case the sound quality difference is like nigth and day, the NAD has more details, better dynamics, fuller and warmer sound and it doesn't tire my ears no matter how long I listen to it. The hiss does not bother me when I listen at normal volumes, and I use headphones about never. Still would be better to get rid of the hiss than just try to forget it.

dong
Unregistered guest
Hi
I also got T753 for almost a month and so far I have noticed only two negligible(for me) faults. A sec skip at the beginning of every track on CD(digital input) and hiss heared not more than 20 inches from speaker with volume level at -8db. Absolutely no hum from speakers or sub. -8db is my average listening level on DVD. It ranges from -12db to -5db(is this normal?).

What concerned me most and gives me a little bit disappoinment was its lack of detail. I have still my old Yamaha RXV595 (dolby digital only) and although this a bright receiver(quite bad for music), it really outperform my 753 (using the same speaker) as far as the "being-there" feeling is concern. The gigantic waves from Perfect Storm really scares me with rxv595. I can feel the rain from Basic, very cold with my old yamaha than 753. Well, is this because of my speakers? As of now im using B&w DM303 for front and rear and B&W LCR3 center. I will be upgrading my front and center soon. Would either of the following gives remarkable improvement on the sound?: PSB Image, B&W DM601s3, Paradigm Titans. Please give a description of the sound for each of them paired with 753.
Thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Goldenarrow

Post Number: 96
Dong,

I have to ask since I own a NAD T752, regarding the skip on CD, I thought that was fixed with the T7x3 series of receivers? Mine does it but what I did was to get a pair of Y-adapter cables and split the Front multichannel analog output from my DVD player (Pioneer 563A) and hook the extra RCA plugs into the CD input on the T752. Did you do something similar???

I do not have experience with the speakers you have, it very well could be the speakers. I had owned a Sony DE-885, also a "bright" receiver and I had to adjust to the sound of the NAD. My speakers are older NHT SuperTwo's and SuperOne's, somewhat neutral but mechanical sounding, fairly accurate in rendering the soundfield and tone. However, I did hear NAD and Denon receivers paired with the PSB Image 5 and Image 6 at a local dealer and both brands of receivers sounded very detailed, clear, and smooth, whether playing an SACD (organ music) or regular CD (Natalie Cole vocals) - definitely better than my Sony receiver with NHT speakers.

Another thought, try increasing both the Bass by 2 db & the Treble by 2-4 dB on the NAD and see if you like it better. It could be that, since human hearing is more sensitive in the upper midrange region, what you really need is to de-emphasize that area by increasing the low and high simultaneously! Try it and let me know what you think.

goldenarrow
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 97
Dong,

Also, my volume ranges from -14 to -24 although I have a smallish room.

Post Number: 8
I send message to NAD and asked about that hiss/hum issue. They answered in few hours and here's the answer:
"There is a modification available for the T743 which will address the problem that you are experiencing. Please contact the dealer where you purchased your unit, and they will contact our distributor to arrange for a modification to be done to your unit."

Silver Member

Post Number: 465
That's interesting. Lets see how we'll get our NADs fixed...

dong
Unregistered guest
Thanks goldenarrow.
Actually that sec skip does not bother me. I can live with that. So with the hiss. My only concern is the detail in movie sound. Next week when i return home ill try increasing bass and treble level as what you suggest. BTW, I assume the procedure you described in getting rid of track-skip would result to an analog input. Actually my old(model 2000) Pioneer DVD player(also currently my cd player) has an inferior DAC compared to 753s, so I have to use digital input to utilise the DAC of the 753.
Thanks

Silver Member

Post Number: 111
Dong,

Yes, you got it, analog (multichannel Pioneer 563a - just the Front L&R) to analog (NAD T752 CD input). So, it must be using the Pioneer's DAC but then I can use the NAD's DSP if needed. I think the front channel DAC's on the Pioneer are decent Burr-Brown types.

That's the problem with digital technology, we just cannot keep up with the hardware!

dong
Unregistered guest
Actually theres no problem on my 753s analog input. I can use this if i want to. Skip occurs only on digital input. But as ive said i like the sound better using the recivers DAC. BTW, im just curious. Why are you using the multichannel out of your player? Why not just the left and right analog output? Are you experiencing track-skip also with this route?

dong
Unregistered guest
Actually theres no problem on my 753s analog input. I can use this if i want to. Skip occurs only on digital input. But as ive said i like the sound better using the recivers DAC. BTW, im just curious. Why are you using the multichannel out of your player? Why not just the left and right analog output? Are you experiencing track-skip with this route too? Cause as far as i know skip only occurs on digital in.

Silver Member

Post Number: 469
Maybe the 563a doesn't have a separate 2ch out?

Silver Member

Post Number: 112
Dong,landroval,

No, just did not focus on it. I was so interested in using the multichannel output that I ignored the 2 channel out. A little picture of the 2 channel jacks appeared in my head, but that does not always insure that I will change my investigation. Its a quirk of how my brain is wired or something.

I also had another reason - I wanted to experiment with playback of stereo-only SACD through the NAD DSP modes to see if it would be any better in a faux-multichannel sound. The results are mixed, it depends greatly on the individual recording and ambient sound embedded in the it. And I only have two stereo-only SACD's to work with, so this experiment is still on-going.

I wonder about how these players work, too. They are still a bit of a "black-box" to me, why would one DAC sound better than another even if the specs are similar? Also, would the 2 channel output use a different processing to get to analog than the multichannel Front L/R ? Don't know unless an expert who actually designs or analyzes these things would weigh in on it.

Anyway, a long way to say, OK - I'll try the 2 channel output and see how it sounds. :-)

goldenarrow

Bronze Member
Username: Markusp

Toronto, ON Canada

Post Number: 95
Landroval - congrats on getting a new receiver. Sorry to hear that you have had problems with it though :-( I've been on vacation for the past week but when I finally got home last night I couldn't wait to fire up the NAD. Just to let you know, my T752 has no hum or hiss whatsoever but I will plug in the earphones tonight and let you know if I hear any hiss from them. Did you end up getting new speakers as well?

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 28
I think everybody should test the hum-issue with headphones. It's really easily noticeable. There's no way I can listen music with that kinds of dyssounds. Try to be an audiophile with interference like that. I like to listen music also with little volume, not to disturb neighbours. In that case you hear that "sssssssssssssssssssssssssss" all the time! Very annoying, really bad! I have never heard anything like that with any amplifiers, no matter how cheap they were! I don't give you any recommendations NAD guys!!!

With headphones you can actually hear two kinds of "back"sounds. One is a lower frequency hum, like a really slowly rotating motor, and the other is the hiss you can easily hear.

Username: Phred

Cape TownSouth Africa

Just checked my T752 with headphones - no hiss.

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 29
Damn! I mean, good for you. How is this possible? I thought this to be an awesome catch buying NAD, so much good feedback. Time to put some "feedback" to NAD...

Without that hiss I can live with my amp. But if there's no easy solution for that, I'll throw my amp to swamp.

Post Number: 9
That hiss/hum with the headphones was too much for me.
Mine T743 is going back to NAD. I will get the new tested receiver from my dealer. I really hope it's without hisses and hums. Let's see...

Alexfromholland
Unregistered guest
Sent my NAD T743 back because of the hissing sound as well. I had to send it back on July 9th, and I've got a Marantz SR4400 as a loan device (no hissing). I e-mailed (on their FAQ page)NAD about the hissing and they answered (Bob Moran from NAD) that they were not aware of the 'hissing problem'. Just keep on sending the units back guys!!

Keep you posted on new info...

DaSurpha
Unregistered guest
My T763 hisses horribly with headphones. My previous T770 did not hiss at all. I contacted NAD as well, and got their response this morning to contact the dealer. I'm really disappointed, as I had such a great experience with T770. Other than the headphones, it's really a nice piece of work.

Username: Alexfromholland

Is the hissing only a problem of the T7X3 series (t743, t753 etc) or does it also exist with the T7X2 or T7X1 series ? NAD indicated that they have change the volume control in the T7X3 series, could that have something to do with it ?

I also noticed that the input-sensitivity went up from 200mV (in T742) to 400mV (in T743).

Username: Agimat

Scarborough, Ontario Canada

HI Guys,

Just got my T743 a few days ago. Did not notice any hiss from the receiver. My only problem is my sub does not work in stereo mode when front speakers set to large, it works when the setting is small. I checked the chart on the manual and sub is disable in stereo if front is set to large. Is there a way I can use the sub when front set to large? I checked Marantz and HK and you can use sub even the front speakers set to large in stereo mode.

Thanks for any input.

I thought the sub was always OFF in stereo mode (that is from an analog source). The sub is only engaged when using a DD/DTS digital audiostream. I don't know if the sub works with a digital stereo signal (from a CD), but you could try it.

BTW, you didn't notice a slight hiss coming from your speakers ? It is a constant hiss, starting at -73dB.

Silver Member

Post Number: 560
-73dB? My T743 only goes down to -62dB.

That's strange, we're talkin' about a NAD T743 (not T742) ?
My volume goes from -73 to +18

When and where did you buy you're T743 ? I've got an European version (230V ~ 50Hz), perhaps that has something to do with it ?

Silver Member

Post Number: 562
Yes, I have an European T743 but I figured out why it didn't go lower. I had my surrounds set to -12dB and because of that I could not set the main volume lower than -62dB.

Canada

Post Number: 4
Mine is the same with ME. My t743 goes from -73 to +18, bought here in Canada. I will try again the slight hiss you guys are mentioning.

BTW ME, my source is digital from the CD and have not try analog.When I set the front to small the sub is working in stereo mode but when set to large, the sub is off. You can try it and give an update

Username: Xvoid

Post Number: 10
I think using a sub on the NAD in stereo mode with speakers set to large is a mute point. Obviously, the idea behind the "large" setting is that your front speakers can handle all frequencies sufficiently. If they can't then you should set your speakers to small and set the correct crossover frequency to match where your front speakers roll off and the sub can take over.

You really have to know the specs on your speakers and then match this to the real-world scenario, where speaker positioning is taken into account.

Canada

I'm used to Marantz and HK where you can use the sub even the front is set to large. This is my first time with NAD so I'm wondering.

BTW guys I checked my T743 and there was a hiss from the speaker starting from -73db.Even there is no input I can hear it. The more you turn up the volume, the louder the hiss. I tried playing some CDs and tried to pause and volume was set to -10db, wow the hiss is very audible specially in the surrounds coz they are closer to my listening position.Its very annoying and bothers me a lot. I'm returning it and get a Marantz or HK, Do you think it is a good decision?

Larz,

I returned my NAD (hissing sound) and got a Marantz SR4400 as a loan device (different price tag, I know..). NAD sent back the 'repaired' NAD T743, claiming they could not make the T743 hiss-free. However, I definitively like the NAD over the Marantz (even with the hiss), especially after i hooked up a NAD C541 cd player...

I can't understand why NAD cannot get rid off the hissing in the T7X3 series. As far as i understood, the hissing was not there in for example the T752. Perhaps you could exchange your T743 for this one ?

If you can't live with the hiss, I would personally go for a Cambridge Audio 540r and not for Marantz, as the Marantz doesn't have that 'warm' sound as the CA or NAD have. Don't know about the H/K though.

Silver Member

Post Number: 575
Alex, did NAD tell you what they did to 'repair' your T743? Did it decrease the hiss?

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 30
Wow! How you people could have been able to not to recognise the hiss issue in the first place... (Maybe a strange sentence.. :-)

The worst thing for me is the hiss from the headphones! If you put your ear directly to the speaker you can hear it as loud.

This 7X3 can be totally different from the previous 7X2 as an architectur. So probably there's nothing to do with the hiss, without totally changing the components, and maybe that way the sound is worse also. I don't know what to do..

Btw, do you still think the same, landroval: "I can live with the hum because I cant hear it when listening to something, not even on quiet moments."

Bronze Member

North Europe

Post Number: 31
Is it possible to change the headline of this topic to something else? Like "The hiss-issue in NAD 7X3"!

I will start a new thread under 'NAD A/V receiver hiss issue'

Silver Member

Post Number: 576
persvako, yes it doesn't bother me that much when I'm listening to something. The hiss on my T743 does not increase with volume, at least not until -5dB, so my normal listening volumes (-45dB to -20dB) are quite well hiss free. Of course the hiss is there, but it's mostly unaudible. Although I would very much like to get rid of it because it's not completely unaudible.

Bronze Member
Username: Xvoid

Post Number: 12
Yup, my new v2.03 T763 hisses but I only hear it when I have my ears within about 50cm of the speaker and I don't often have my ears there :-) And yes the hiss is of rather a high frequency. No hum tho.

The sound from the receiver is so good that it doesn't really bother me that much about the high level of hiss at close range.

It seems that all threads that go this long must reference the NAD hiss issue at least once. :D

Silver Member

Post Number: 580
:-) Let's continue to hiss in here:
https://www.ecoustics.com/electronics/forum/home-audio/92714.html

Adelaide, SA Australia

my HK 5550 has a fan but its variable speed. It will spin at higher revs when im listening to music at a fairly loud level.

Adelaide, SA Australia

Tested my HK 5550 with the headphones and turned it all the way up, no hiss or hum at all. As for the subout i have mine running in stereo mode. I think its needed as my house has concrete floors which tend to subdue the bass a fair bit. My main speakers are Krix lyric (duel 6.5" woofers and 1" dome tweeter). They sound lovely on wooden floors but on concrete they lost a bit of the bottom end.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us